Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What are Powerline adaptors like for latency?

Options
  • 14-11-2008 10:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭

I got my broadband installed, and to avoid any hassle i've got it plugged into the main phone socket in the hall. The problem is my rig is Upstairs.

I am a gamer, so wifi is a no-no, I just wanted to know if i just connected the modem to a powerline adaptor and my pc to the powerline adaptor at the other end, would the latency by quite low... say as if the pc were plugged into a LAN port in the router... or maybe just a few ms more? :confused:

A powerline adaptor for those who dont know, are basically a power plug with a lan port, which uses the internal wiring in your house as a network. :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

the are susposed to be slower that wifi and are prone to interference from various electrical items in your house.

how hard can it be to run a bit of cat5 to the pc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

Will try a few pings using wifi, powerline and ethernet direct to router to give you an idea...

MC

• Registered Users Posts: 636 ✭✭✭pug_

I use them in my house and I just tested from one end of the house to the other with 50 ICMP packets. Average response time was about 3.8ms...

rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 3.313/3.810/5.581/0.613 ms

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Pinging my router gives me a 1ms latency (sometimes 2ms) anytime I've ever done it, even when I'm opposite ends of the house and wiring is impossible. I've never had a problem with gaming online in HL2/Xbox Live etc.. (well I have but it was down to my BB connection fooking up).

I use a Linksys WRT54GS. Should also say that the QOS section on this router also has a checkbox to prioritse gaming applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

They can create a lot of Radio Interference, and can even interfer with DSL. Interference varies according to Model, setting and your wiring.

My wiFi is less than 1ms unless a lot of users when it rises to maybe 5ms to 10ms if very heavy traffic from our server.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

OK looks like you should have enough info here so won't do the above test..... I'm tired ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭Munsterforever

Thanks alot guys! :D

Advertisement