Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting Started

Options
  • 14-11-2008 10:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭

Hello all,

I got hooked on shooting after a few shoots in Asia and eastern europe.

I want to start with a pistol and work my way up through experience and financially. The big guns looks expensive.

I would like to work my way up to either a sniper rifle or an assault rifle.

Starting with a pistol. I would prefer full metal [removed reference to banned retailer - Gandalf]

Suggestions on where to start?

Gas
    Co2
    Blowback
    Non Blowback
    Battery

Im a complete noob so be gentle

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,348 ✭✭✭Rhinocharge

An aeg (airsoft electric rifle) isn't much more expensive than a pistol.

GBB is probably the best option, however choice is up to you, the end user.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭amaughan

if ya wanna skirmish then you'll be needin an aeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

The KJ sig is a brilliant pistol, but if its target practice your ater then it will do fine but if your looking for a gun to skirmish with, pistols, and particularly gas pistols arnt the best place to start. gas isnt the most reliable form when it comes to the type of weather we get in Ireland so the guns can be temperamental.

AEG's start for around about the same money and are a lot more reliable and usually a little more powerful and consistant than gas guns.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I wont be heading on skirmish's straight away so its just away to get used to targeting and to make sure Im really interested in airsoft before spending big bucks and joining in skirmish's until my heart is truly in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭daz801

the best way to fing out if you like it or not is to head on down to a rental day at the closest site to you

• Advertisement

daz801 wrote: »
    the best way to fing out if you like it or not is to head on down to a rental day at the closest site to you

I know I will be interested in owning a pistol for recreation. Im just considering whether or not I would be interested in a skirmish.

Im sure I would be later on.

Where are people's suggestions to buy a pistol? I live in Limerick but would travel(within reason).

Are there certain regulations required before buying one as they are non fatal but I dont want to have a wasted journey.

no, providing they are under the 1 joule legal limit then you wont need any licence or permission to buy one.
    theres a number of irish retailers both online and walk in shops. i think the cork shop would be your closest to walk in and have a look but there www.eirsoft.ie, www.irishairsoftsupplies.com, www.airsofteire.com and south east airsoft, dunnow what teir website is though.,

no licences needed or anything
    i dont knnow about shops that end of the country theres one in cork but thats all i know of.
    you could order online from one of the irish retailers

I may visit Eirsoft in Dublin on the 29th of the month when Im in Dublin. Its not far from where Im going to be. I will drop in get a feel for them.

Im strongly looking at a Sig 229. I have shot a real glock, kamarov and desert eagle so Im kinda hooked on getting a pistol to learn on how to shoot properly. I didnt do too well with the pistol. Too far away TBH.

I have shot a pump action(ouch), AK47, M4, M16, Spas & Uzi. The Spas is very heavy and has a nasty thump off of it.

therefore my interest in getting involved in a legal sport surrounding shooting.

sig 229 is very nise indeed
    another nice pistol is the hfc usp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Just pick the KJ that looks the best to you. Then you know you've made the right choice:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭by8auj6csd3ioq

what is KJ and skirmish. are these legal to have in the house without a safe etc

KJ or "KJW/KJ works" are a manufacturer that make the guns, a "skirmish" is an airsoft game, where we shoot people., :)

since they are not real guns theres no problems with storage or anything like that, its effectively a toy, all be it a realistic looking one.,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

Though discretion is advised with their use due to how realistic they are, they should never be brandished in public, only at the aforementioned skirmish.

Advertisement