Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod on the rampage!!!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

Oh Man! That would have been so cool and totally imaginable!

/me goes to make Mod Rampage film, set in Little Tokyo

I request a cameo appearance :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Nerin wrote: »
    I request a cameo appearance :)

With your head so far up thaeds ass you already had one.

With your head so far up thaeds ass you already had one.

Lol. Youre still here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Overheal wrote: »
    Yeah ok im bored of the Canned off-topic warning myself but its nothing to get in a knot about. If you're told to stay on topic, well, stay on topic? The poster was welcome to keep posting. It wasnt even a yellow card. But said poster decided to question the mod decision, and not politely either: that deserved a response.

It was a different poster who questioned the mod. The poster who received the original warning never went off topic, in fact it wasn't even unhelpful, as the warning suggested.
    Are you a Cylon? Flexibility is a grand thing to have. I can't blame a mod for using a short leash with new posters though.

Ah yes, what a perfect way to welcome new users and to encourage them to continue posting. Makes perfect sense!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

+1
    That's some power trip Thaedydal is on, talk about trying to stop people from visiting the PI threads when you can be banned so easily, Sme PI mods needs a good douse of cop on

Look at this post which I think is worse and nothing!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57909790&postcount=14

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All together now

With a purposeful grimace and a terrible sound
    She pulls the sh1t-stirring PI posters down

Helpless people lurking
    Scream bug-eyed as she looks in on them

She picks up a poster and she throws him back down
    As she wades through the forums toward the center of town

Oh no, they say shes got to go
    Go go Modzilla, yeah
    Oh no, there goes tokyo
    Go go Modzilla, yeah

Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
    Rinji news o moshiagemasu!
    Modzilla ga ginza hoomen e mukatte imasu!
    Daishkyu hinan ****e kudasai!
    Daishkyu hinan ****e kudasai!

Oh no, they say shes got to go
    Go go Modzilla, yeah
    Oh no, there goes Boarsds-io
    Go go Modzilla, yeah

History shows again and again
    How Boards points up the folly of men
    Modzilla!

With thanks to the Blue Oyster Cult :)

Mike

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It was a different poster who questioned the mod. The poster who received the original warning never went off topic, in fact it wasn't even unhelpful, as the warning suggested.

It was in my opinion and so I issued a generic warning, I didn't even infract warning, get over it, it wasn't you.
    Ah yes, what a perfect way to welcome new users and to encourage them to continue posting. Makes perfect sense!

PI is not like the rest of the site, they have to learn that and to learn to read the charters. Plenty of noobs get the benefit of the doubt from me, but if they ignore a warning on the threads, and the fact someone else had been already banned then tough.

Namesco wrote: »
    +1
    That's some power trip Thaedydal is on, talk about trying to stop people from visiting the PI threads when you can be banned so easily, Sme PI mods needs a good douse of cop on

Look at this post which I think is worse and nothing!!

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57909790&postcount=14

Cheers for that I am only just online this morning, post dealt with.
    Shame neither you or Magicmarker didn't use the report post function to alert all the PI mods to it.
    Don't bitch about inconsistency in modding with posts being missing if you are not reporting them.

Yeah ok im bored of the Canned off-topic warning myself but its nothing to get in a knot about.

It saves time and show the warning is not personal.
    I found the post incoherent, but not off topic. My own opinion.

If it is incoherent then it is not helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Cheers for that I am only just online this morning, post dealt with.
    Shame neither you or Magicmarker didn't use the report post function to alert all the PI mods to it.

O I'm so sorry:eek: that's going to put my moderator apprenticeship back a couple of years:rolleyes:.

Good to see you have your ban hammer back out

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,332 ✭✭✭311

Did I misread something a while back ,about some people creating threads on PI and replying to them themselves?

I'd ban psycho's for doing stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,758 ✭✭✭Stercus Accidit

The initial warning of the first reply, the normal reply that was on topic, was ridiculous.

It was pointless and a mistake, it was a perfectly normal reply on topic with the posters advice, isnt that what that bloody forum is for? If you warn a normal posters reply, other posters wont want to bloody reply at all, then the forum is just going to be replied to by the "regulars" with the same old responses.

Hell, just make it a bunch of stickied FAQ's and lock all the threads if ordinary "new" posters are such an issue.

FFS, welcome to PI, ask for opinions on your problem, and receive a load of nonsense thread micro management.

The first warning was ott, other posters said this, thread goes to shite. Looks pretty clear cut to me, people being comfortable to respond on topic is important for that place to function.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Is it always the same 2 or 3 posters who spend all there time in feedback to defend a mod when there is a complaint about them no matter what?

I suppose the 2 or 3 take it a rotational system so there will always be someone around to blindly defend a mod from a bit of fair criticism. I think we can all guess who takes the night shift anyway.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Boring/predictable isn't it?

Post = incoherent. Incoherent=unhelpful. Unhelpful=banned. Fairly clean cut really. Oh-incoherent=needing someone to translate the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

Nerin wrote: »
    Post = incoherent. Incoherent=unhelpful. Unhelpful=banned. Fairly clean cut really. Oh-incoherent=needing someone to translate the post.
    and ur japanese fanstasy of giants is on topic and helpful..... :rolleyes:

zuroph wrote: »
    and ur japanese fanstasy of giants is on topic and helpful..... :rolleyes:

We're talking about pi. If you have a problem with my and others posts in this feedback thread,i suggest you use the report post function,or start a thread in helpdesk. Failing that,you can feel free to pm me. Pi is modded stricter than other forums due to the nature of the forum.

first post deserved a clearer explanation of why it was "off-topic", seemed like a perfectly fair response to me...

first post deserved a clearer explanation of why it was "off-topic", seemed like a perfectly fair response to me...

Which one? Linky?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=57905984&postcount=2

and the responce...
    LittleMissLogic
    Unhelpful and off-topic posting will get you banned from this forum.
    Do take time to read the charter which contains the rules and abide by them.
    Have a nice day.
    Thaedydal

clearly little misslogic is under the impression from the first post that he was quite drunk, and by the girls responses it seems she remembers more than he does.

now I know Thae was polite about it, but it seems condescending against a post where there seems to be no infraction.

• Advertisement

It wasn't given a warning for being off topic but for being unhelpful per the breakdown macros42 already gave of it..

Bah,i just reread that thread sober :( first post to the op. Hmmm,not putting thought into it,i'd think it was harsh,but when you take into account the rules of pi,it warrants a warning,albeit a warning that says for the love of all thats holy can you edit that to make more sense. Can actually see where confusion could crop up from that. Pi modding is crazy though,its hard to get a grip of it as an outsider mod or user, there were other posts that if i was modding by those rules i might warn too. Still,it seems to me that she didn't do anything extraordinary,and it was the posts on the thread that dragged it down,making it an unpleasant thread.
    Pi is serious business. (Also i think some of the mods have automatic messages they give)

macros breakdown was a bit harsh though.

1) He openly admits that he cant remember whether they used protection or not, this is what she is referring to.

2)she used capitals on one word? if she had used italics it would have been ok? It is indeed Obvious that she doesnt want to get pregnant.

and the "abnormal" remark, thats simply "was she acting unusually phrased?" a different way

macros breakdown was a bit harsh though.

1) He openly admits that he cant remember whether they used protection or not, this is what she is referring to.

2)she used capitals on one word? if she had used italics it would have been ok? It is indeed Obvious that she doesnt want to get pregnant.

and the "abnormal" remark, thats simply "was she acting unusually phrased?" a different way

I assumed that needing someone to interpret the post was what made it unhelpful and valid for a warning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

That post was no worse than some of the dire advice that gets given out on that forum all the time by people who are old enough to know better, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

If there's confusion here, how is the user expected to know what they've done wrong (and I use the term loosely).

Boiler plate messages may be easier for the mod, but they are too generic, and smack of a lazy solution.

Why not use a yellow card infraction? It doesn't disrupt the thread (attempting to moderate this one into line was clearly unsuccessful), it provides a clearer and more emphatic indication to the user, and is open for all to view.

Another big plus is that the rest of the readers don't have to be bored into apathy by seeing the same thing again and again, which, if anything, dilutes its effectiveness and makes the issuing mod a figure of fun, to a certain degree anyway.

That aside, I'm adding my weight to the overzealous/unnecessary/counterproductive camp.

On this occasion anyway.

You know what the user who was warned has not pmed about or gotten back or seems to have no issue it's magicmarker who has his panties in a bunch cos he by his own admission makes posts he thinks should receive a warning or a ban.

I did not want to use a yellow card infraction I wanted a clear warning on the thread that unhelpful and off topic posts would not be tolerated, if posters after the point failed to heed the warnings then they have thier bans well earned.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

I must be reading a different thread to the complainers here.

Scared kid makes post.

New poster responds with a slightly jokey answer, which is slightly against charter.

Experienced mod is experienced and makes a (quite gentle) on thread warning that joking is unacceptable, before other people engage in bandwagon jumping.

No on is banned, infracted, or upset on thread.

What am I missing here?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

You know what the user who was warned has not pmed about or gotten back or seems to have no issue it's magicmarker who has his panties in a bunch cos he by his own admission makes posts he thinks should receive a warning or a ban..

The poster logged off ten minutes after you posted the warning, chances are she hasn't even seen it, but really, that's neither here nor there.

I thought if we have an issue with a post we report it, or take it to the help desk or feedback? That's what you're preaching to us anyway, so why am i suddenly being lambasted for doing so, I could have brought it up on the thread, but no, I took it here. Are we only supposed to report posts, so long as they're not yours?
    I did not want to use a yellow card infraction I wanted a clear warning on the thread that unhelpful and off topic posts would not be tolerated, if posters after the point failed to heed the warnings then they have thier bans well earned.

I'd be interested to hear your reasoning for why you think that post was unhelpful or off topic?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Talk about over reaction! Is this a bad case of PMS or what?

are we ignoring this comment

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement