Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mod on the rampage!!!!

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Tigger wrote: »
    are we ignoring this comment

Personally don't think it is worth a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭RoundyMooney

Well, she hasn't been online since posting, so there's little point in second guessing her.

Anyway, that wasn't my point. Generally speaking, if people here were confused (and I've no axe to grind or juvenile jibes such as "PMS"/"panties in a bunch" to throw about-or for that matter blanket support of a mod decision, so am merely offering an outside view), how can a user be expected to be reasonably clear regarding what they're supposed to have done wrong?

You've been using the unhelpful and off topic, as well as the wholly insincere nice day mantra for years. If it hasn't sunk in now, it may never do so. A yellow infraction is equally clear to the user in question, and appears to the bottom of the post to all readers. It is however far less disruptive than a repetitive message that either gets ignored or results, as in this case, in further hassle for all involved.

Clarity should be the order of the day. A catch all macro is either going to annoy people, or make them nervous about posting when they are unsure of the misdemeanour that caused the whole thing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Tigger wrote: »
    are we ignoring this comment
    Well an answer hasn't been forthcoming so I guess we are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

SDooM wrote: »

i was thinking

funny-pictures-girl-lion-yells-at-boy-lion.jpg

SDooM wrote: »

While I'm tempted to discount your other post as yet more closing of ranks, I have to agree with you here.

Rants about PMS and twisted panties are a waste of everybody's time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

While I'm tempted to discount your other post as yet more closing of ranks, I have to agree with you here.

I'll call a spade a spade, I honestly just opened the post in the OP and thats what I thought. I would have done something similar in that case. Otherwise people would have just snuck in more and more jokes.

I get your point about boiler plate though,.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

I don't see why when a mod agrees with another mod,they get accused of doing it solely because of mod conspiracy. Myself and doom mod the same forum and we don't always see eye to eye. The last decision i didn't agree with was one from an admin ffs. Saying that is as boring as pms and pantie knot remarks. Feedback will never get away from lolcat pics and people taking the piss if people keep this attitude and behaviour up.

From what i can see, the mod can justify the warning because incoherent posts fall into the realm of the unhelpful. Also-and i'm sorry if this annoys the pi mods-i think the charter might need a tidying (said that on the other pi thread)

Magicmarker isn't helping things by acting the way s/he is.

If you want to make constructive feedback-don't get into petty insults,don't make it out to be the end of the world (rampage lol).

If you did that,people would be less inclined to take the piss,or might at least be more warm in their responses.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

pms.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

Nerin wrote: »
    I don't see why when a mod agrees with another mod,they get accused of doing it solely because of mod conspiracy. Myself and doom mod the same forum and we don't always see eye to eye. The last decision i didn't agree with was one from an admin ffs. Saying that is as boring as pms and pantie knot remarks. Feedback will never get away from lolcat pics and people taking the piss if people keep this attitude and behaviour up.

From what i can see, the mod can justify the warning because incoherent posts fall into the realm of the unhelpful. Also-and i'm sorry if this annoys the pi mods-i think the charter might need a tidying (said that on the other pi thread)

Magicmarker isn't helping things by acting the way s/he is.

If you want to make constructive feedback-don't get into petty insults,don't make it out to be the end of the world (rampage lol).

If you did that,people would be less inclined to take the piss,or might at least be more warm in their responses.

this modding seemed right to me but i do think pi charter needs changing

i know that some people go to pi to take the piss and others head in with baggage and preconceptions (sic) but i take issue with te fact that its a no-go area for god for the withdrawal method or for anything else that works for some people

and thats from an athiest realist who agerees in princaple with said princaples but not nessiciarly in the way that its enforced

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't see why when a mod agrees with another mod,they get accused of doing it solely because of mod conspiracy.
    +1
    If there's one thing moderators are not, it's singing off the same hymn sheet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,097 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Seriously don't understand the warning, but meh, it's a warning.

Well now, in all fairness, no one is (I hope) going to be dumb enough to generalise about every single member of the sub-community of unpaid volunteers on this site.

However, to hold that any mod decision, no matter whether it be good, bad, or indifferent is ultimately met with support from fellow mods when an issue is brought up in Feedback, would be a fairly accurate assessment.

I've been there, and I know that some mods, to their credit, will trumpet fairness and impartiality in respect to either a Feedback complaint, or another publicised mod decision. Proper order, IMO.

I also know that some mods have complained of a lack of "support" on Feedback threads.

I wouldn't say such an attitude is widespread among moderators, but it does exist.

Well now, in all fairness, no one is (I hope) going to be dumb enough to generalise about every single member of the sub-community of unpaid volunteers on this site.

However, to hold that any mod decision, no matter whether it be good, bad, or indifferent is ultimately met with support from fellow mods when an issue is brought up in Feedback, would be a fairly accurate assessment.

I've been there, and I know that some mods, to their credit, will trumpet fairness and impartiality in respect to either a Feedback complaint, or another publicised mod decision. Proper order, IMO.

I also know that some mods have complained of a lack of "support" on Feedback threads.

I wouldn't say such an attitude is widespread among moderators, but it does exist.

Do you ever stop to think that maybe we have opinions as well? I agree and like some users more than certain mods.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Do you ever stop to think that maybe we have opinions as well? I agree and like some users more than certain mods.

You are more than welcome to your opinions Nerin. Your problem, as I see it, is that you are duplicitous in your reasoning. It changes depending on who is involved. I saw last week on AH when you defended a posters post but when some other guy or gal did the same thing, a fine walking of the line, you didn't apply the same reasoning to their actions?

Hey, it is cool. You like dingleberries. It is no bigge in the greater scale of things. We all have our failings. Thead too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Disagree. I've seen plenty of examples of moderators disagreeing with moderators. However, what I'd say is more of a likelihood, is moderators not saying anything at all on Feedback for fear of appearing to take sides (whichever side it may be).

As have I. I never said that mods never disagree with other mods, if you get me.

But some people will support anything.

There may be no mod conspiracy, but there is such a thing as interlinked circles of friends, call them what you will, who will inevitably stand up for one another.

Mod groupies are not an unknown phenomenon either to be fair.

Ah,but you see daithi,it depends on how people act,what responses they get. Its cause and effect,you come across as a troll,you don't get taken seriously. Its a human condition you see. Mods being people and all,they make mistakes,or can be in a bad humor,there are numerous factors.

But then again,i realise,i'm responding to you,so i may as well just smile and ignore you :)

What dudess says makes alot of sense,but its sad if mods feel that they can't say anything without troublesome users repeatedly accusing them of having a hidden agenda.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Should your posts be discounted as a bitter former mod being bitter ?

My menstrual cycle should not factor into this what so ever, again sexism rears it head on boards.ie. Let anyone who really wants to know about my menstrual cycle query it to me in person at the next beers as it is not fodder for online discussion.

ha, sexism.

Anyway, that wasn't my point. Generally speaking, if people here were confused (and I've no axe to grind or juvenile jibes such as "PMS"/"panties in a bunch" to throw about-or for that matter blanket support of a mod decision, so am merely offering an outside view), how can a user be expected to be reasonably clear regarding what they're supposed to have done wrong?

Any poster who wishes to query a mod action can pm the mod for clarity.
    Clearly magicmarker wanted to kick up a fuss in public rather then just ask me.
    You've been using the unhelpful and off topic, as well as the wholly insincere nice day mantra for years.

The have a nice day is not insincere at all, I use it sincerely and to denote the warning is not personal.
    If it hasn't sunk in now, it may never do so. A yellow infraction is equally clear to the user in question, and appears to the bottom of the post to all readers. It is however far less disruptive than a repetitive message that either gets ignored or results, as in this case, in further hassle for all involved.

Most posters do not notice the yellow/red icons they are only new and a clear warning is still needed on the thread, all of the other PI mods do this in their own way.
    Clarity should be the order of the day. A catch all macro is either going to annoy people, or make them nervous about posting when they are unsure of the misdemeanour that caused the whole thing.

Funny that I was using that long before we had boiler plate warnings, infraction and ban messages so it seems catch all macros became how modding is done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Thaedydal wrote: »
    It saves time and show the warning is not personal.

Unhelpful and off topic posting will get you banned

do have a Nice day

Theadydal

takes about 10 seconds to type.

Secondly, do you not find that using an impersonal and canned response is not counter intuitive to moderation? I guess we have two schools of thought in this thread: Some posters are complaining that mods do not apply the exact same ruling to each and every poster. The other school of thought considers everything on a case by case situation.

I'm certainly the latter. You end up giving more thought to a decision, rather than slugging out rulings like sheets of toilet paper - which seems to attract more negative feedback than the personal approach. Im not going to say the other is wrong, im just saying it attracts bad karma in my opinion.

edit:

In fairness thaed, you might as well say Your Call is Very Important to Us for all the sincerity it actually conveys - intended or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 671 ✭✭✭Daithi McGee

Ah,but you see daithi,it depends on how people act,what responses they get. Its cause and effect,you come across as a troll,you don't get taken seriously. Its a human condition you see. Mods being people and all,they make mistakes,or can be in a bad humor,there are numerous factors.

But then again,i realise,i'm responding to you,so i may as well just smile and ignore you :)

What dudess says makes alot of sense,but its sad if mods feel that they can't say anything without troublesome users repeatedly accusing them of having a hidden agenda.

Nice answer Nerin. I Like it. But by mods being human and of the condition, people etc, can you not see how it was an over the top mod'ing?

Any poster who wishes to query a mod action can pm the mod for clarity.
    Clearly magicmarker wanted to kick up a fuss in public rather then just ask me.

If you were in any way approachable I'd have no problem asking you, however I know that would have been futile.

Nice answer Nerin. I Like it. But by mods being human and of the condition, people etc, can you not see how it was an over the top mod'ing?

I've said more than once how the mod in question is covered by the charter,all you need to to is go back and see that. :)

Should your posts be discounted as a bitter former mod being bitter ?

Not at all. Interesting turn of phrase though. Sounds like one I'd use.
    My menstrual cycle should not factor into this what so ever, again sexism rears it head on boards.ie. Let anyone who really wants to know about my menstrual cycle query it to me in person at the next beers as it is not fodder for online discussion.

I..erm...agree. Seeing as the OP was the one to use such a silly phrase, it's advice he would do well to follow.

Alternatively silly phrases such as PMS, and yes, twisted knickers or whatever could be thrown in the bin...

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

If you were in any way approachable I'd have no problem asking you, however I know that would have been futile.
    You havent even tried, have you.

I have, and she is.

Magicmarker another poster did pm me to query the warning I explained I viewed it as unhelpful and got I got a reply back saying Thanks.

People who ask politely get a polite answer.

Overheal it's a LART, Talliesn created it for me.

Overheal wrote: »
    You havent even tried, have you.

I have, and she is.
    Matter of opinion.

Magicmarker another poster did pm me to query the warning I explained I viewed it as unhelpful and got I got a reply back saying Thanks.

People who ask politely get a polite answer.

Overheal it's a LART, Talliesn created it for me.
    That's the answer I would have expected and I would have still started this thread. Like I said, asking you to explain your reasons when I already know them is futile. My point is your reasoning is wrong.

• Advertisement

When i was new marksie and thaed were some of the first mods i talked to,and i hold them in high regard. I suppose if i acted like you have i would expect less than friendly response. You get what you give to be fair

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement