Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Q for those who did a driving test.

Options
  • 14-11-2008 11:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭

I'm studying the rules of the road book. And also a load of questions and answers that may be asked in a driving test (downloaded from drivingtesttips.ie).

There seems to be so much to study.

So for those who did a test, can you remember what questions you were asked.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭darling.x

I want to see if testers favour some questions more than others.
    Is there any lazy way of doing this studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Theres WAY too many questions on that site. Like some of the ones about exits on roundabouts, testers will never ask you about that. All the questions they'll ask you anyway are all fairly common sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 TheDublinMan

go to www.drivingschoolireland/questions.html should be better for ye

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭macroman

Most are common sense questions: National Speed Limit & Minimum Tyre Thread Depth, When/Where should you use dipped beam, Two white lines on the road - one broken one continuous, which one do you obey?

Stuff like that, pretty simple, doesn't have to be exact just a display that you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭driverite

On the rules of the road questions. They must ask you a question on Road Markings, Traffic lights, Pedestrian Crossings. Right of way, Vehicle lighting, and an other Question it could be on anything at all. Speed is something they like asking, sgs like asking about overtaking on the left. They ask you Six questions and 12 sign Questions. six on each side of the page of signs. Try this link for the sign sheet http://www.erneschoolofmotoring.com/images/oraltest.pdf

They don't ask you Tyre dept on the rules of the road questions that's part of the Technical questions that take place out at the car i.e. (how would you check your engine oil level). They also ask you 5 hand signals questions always after the turnabout.

If you read the sticky's at the beginning of the forum it gives you all the details of the questions

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,579 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

A guy at work was shown a bus lane sign and asked was it contra flow or with flow. He passed but said he guessed the answer and still doesn't know what the difference is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭wicklow joe

On the sign sheet there are 3 type of bus lane and cycle lane signs.

There is a guy i work with who tests and only uses the sign sheet to ask all the rules of the road question. For Example the he would point to the sign of the yellow box junction. and ask you for the rules regarding it. He would point to the sign of a pedestrian crossing and ask what is missing from the picture (answer the flashing amber beacons).

The questions should take about 10 minutes to finnish he always takes ages ( often wondered if he is paid by the hour)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Caderyn wrote: »
    A guy at work was shown a bus lane sign and asked was it contra flow or with flow. He passed but said he guessed the answer and still doesn't know what the difference is.
    In a contra-flow bus lane, the buses in that bus lane travel in the opposite direction to all other traffic. (An example in Dublin is Eden Quay where buses may travel westbound).

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Hi...

I did my test a few wks ago with SGS I was asked:
    - the hospital sign (blue sign with H and 100m),
    - The "keep left" sign - blue sign with an arrow pointing diagonally down to the left,
    - the blue sign that you see at the end of a dual carriage way - like an upside done Y latter.

I was asked:
    - how would u know a pedestrain crossing at night (flashing beacons),
    - give two example of when you should not use head lights (oncoming traffgic, behind traffic, in built up area),
    - when may you overtake on left (when there is a car turning right, when the left lane is moving faster than the right lane).

Ah.... Trying to think what else he asked.... I think that was pretty much it - he may have asked what are the rules re a yellow box - my BF was asked that the previous week in his test, he was also asked about the overtaking on the left and the pedestrian crossing @ night (he did his with RSA)

Good luck! I really wouldn't worry/stress over the Qs - if you have been driving around then you (should) already know the signs really when you think about it! :D

Sgs like asking
    1) Right of way at a rounabout?
    2) What does an amber light mean at a traffic light?
    3) How would you recognise a pedeatrian crossing at night?
    4)Is there ever an occasion you can ocer take on the left?
    5) 2 or 3 occassions when you must used your dipped healights when driving at night?
    6) A continous white line in the middle of the road what does that mean?

Is that right xerosero?

When they were training thats the list of questions they were told to ask.

The testers can ask any of the signs they want amounting to 6 on each side of the sheet. See link to sign sheet above.

They can ask any of the Technical or Secondary Questions they want amounting to 3 for each group

They must also ask 5 hand signals. so in total they ask 29 questions, But its amazing that you can get all the 29 Questions wrong and still pass your test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 187 ✭✭xIsabelx

I think I was asked about 7 road signs. I didn't use the website though, I studied the Rules of the Road book.

I was asked the roundabout sign, a t-junction with a dual carriage-way, a railway crossing with gates and warning lights, roadworks ahead, the hospital sign, dangerous bends to the left and a clearway...maybe there were more, I can't remember.

driverite wrote: »
    Sgs like asking
    5) 2 or 3 occassions when you must used your dipped healights when driving at night?

Ha, I had SGS and I was asked 4 of those exact questions :P

He asked me the hand signals after I did my hill-start, and I totally drew a blank because I thought they were asked in the test centre. I got a grade one for getting one of them wrong because I said something totally silly :pac:

driverite wrote: »
    Sgs like asking

Is that right xerosero?

Yep, thats pretty much what I was asked - forgot in the original post - he did also ask about who must you give right of way to on/at a roundabout andn the continous white line (which they could easier swap for a broken white line obviously). I didn't get asked the amber light at traffic lights but got asked all the others! Strange - You'd think with the hundreds of Qs they could use that they would use a bigger/better selection than that! I think they use more signs tho - don't seem to always ask the same signs but the do favour certain ones at the same time (yellow box!)

The RSA place in Navan asked my BF pretty much the same Qs too....

xIsabelx wrote: »
    He asked me the hand signals after I did my hill-start, and I totally drew a blank because I thought they were asked in the test centre. I got a grade one for getting one of them wrong because I said something totally silly :pac:

I was asked to do the hand signals after the turnabout (which was done at teh start of the test) The hand signals are always done in the car - as part of the practical test (I used always forget about those during lessons until my instructor asked me to roll down the window and I would be thinking why? Then copped on - D'ah!)

As silly as it may be - it is worth remembering as said - you can get all the Qs and signals wrong and still pass the test! My mother did her test last yr - having been driving for yrs - she didn't even know there was hand signals- she just did the test - no lessons or anything - she passed even though the tester told her she didn't have a clue fo the hand signals!!!! Typical!

Thanks for the replies.
    I've my test in two weeks time. I've been freaking out because i forgot a lot that i studied last year for the theory test. Hopefully i'll be fine. I was able to answer the sample questions here in this thread. For now i'll study things that i'm unsure of like hand signals, and road signs too.

In a contra-flow bus lane, the buses in that bus lane travel in the opposite direction to all other traffic. (An example in Dublin is Eden Quay where buses may travel westbound).
    Aha, the contra-flow bus lane actually makes sense now- I walk up and down Eden Quay to work every day so that example actually helped clarify things! :D

Good luck in two weeks darling.x; let us know how you're getting on. :)

Eden Quay and lower leeson st

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

Hi guys,

I am doing my test this week!! Getting pretty nervous and thinking about it a lot. I have spent a lot(!) of money on lessons so I really want to pass.

I am doing my test with SGS. What are they like?

Can anyone offer any advice to calm the nerves? Or any tips for a first timer would be great.

Thanks.

I know a fair few people who got SGS testers and most have told me they were just as professional and silent during the test as the RSA ones. My cousin did hers (failed it!) in Baldoyle and said she was put off by people telling her SGS testers are really nice and often quite chatty and mark generously and that the Baldoyle test route was really easy. As a result she felt she wasn't as prepared as she could have been and was surprised by the pretty stern examiner. :eek:
    Not trying to worry you, just specifying that so long as you're a good, competent driver you should be fine and don't get too hung up on the SGS/RSA comparisons. My cousin later passed her test in RSA Raheny despite being warned beforehand the testers in that centre can be very harsh and it's a tough route. But by this stage she had taken more lessons and was more prepared and that's what really counts.
    As for nerves, you'll either pass now and be delighted or fail, reapply and pass in a few weeks and be doubly delighted. ;)
    If you've spent money on lessons and are a capable driver you have no reason to be worried. Just do your best, study the rules of the road and OBSERVE like a mad thing.
    Good luck!! Let us know how you're getting on! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

Hi K09

I did my test twice, passed the second one, first was with SGS, did well only I reversed around the corner into a path, instant fail.

I was asked these same Qs alright
    Sgs like asking

Anyway one big piece of advice is not to come across as overconfident(attitude wise) or cocky, just be modest, try not to appear too nervous (if you can) because a confident driver is a good driver.
    -know all the obvious road signs,
    -Know your engine bits,just the few basic ones like coolant, oil etc, but theres no need to kill yourself studying, the worst that can happen is 1 grade2 mark for the theory part.

and now for the important bits
    -Dont drive too slow, it annoys the testers, they want to get on with it
    -keep checking mirrors and looking around, almost to a ridiculous point, obviously keeping an eye in front of you.
    -LET THEM SEE YOU looking around, make it really obvious, they mightnt be arsed looking at your eyes, they want to know you know what to do.
    -know your hand signals
    -STOP at stop sign, then edge on,even if theres no cars.
    -Dont panic if you see them doing something, it could have been from something 2 minutes ago,or 5 minutes ago.
    -DONT change more than one gear in one clutch pressing, thats coasting and testers hate it, its dangerous.
    -be really obviously cautious with hazards, like a tractor/truck parked badly or something

I really think they judge your overall driving and then decide if there gonna pass you or not by giving grade 1s and grade 2s. My point is, I thought I had failed my second one but kept driving as well as possible and passed so If your feeling down just press on and dont get annoyed, because they might just decide near the end whether they'll give you that last grade 2 or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭Tech3

Here are the main questions:

when can you enter a yellow box junction
    when can you overtake on the left lane
    when are you meant to use dipped headlights
    what does a continuous white line mean and can you ever cross it
    what does two broken lines in the middle of the road mean
    what are speed limits on motorway/national/regional/built up areas
    what would you do if a car you were aproaching has dazzling lights

also same as above progress is important and check main junctions ahead of you when driving along and notice a hazard approaching like a parked car on a double yellow line!

• Advertisement

wylo wrote: »
    a confident driver is a good driver
    I think you may be confusing 'confident' with 'competent'.

I know many 'confident' drivers but most are not 'competent'.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭fiona-f

"but theres no need to kill yourself studying, the worst that can happen is 1 grade2 mark for the theory part."

I'm afraid I disagree! I think the best preparation for your test has to be practicing driving, but in the times when you can't do that, say at lunchtime at work or whatever, then definitely throw yourself into the study. The questions are the one thing you can prepare thoroughly; you can prepare them all in advance and there will be no nasty surprises with them, so if you get a grade 2 on it, it seems a huge waste really. You can take control of this part of the test with a little bit of preparation, and best of all, you don't need to pay an instructor €50 an hour for the privilege! I'd rather keep my full set of grade 2s for the practical part to deal with maybe unexpected situations when I'm out on the road or a silly error like stalling due to nerves. Obviously, ideally I'll return to the test centre with all the grade 2s (and grade 3s!) fully intact!

fiona-f wrote: »
    The questions are the one thing you can prepare thoroughly; you can prepare them all in advance and there will be no nasty surprises with them
    Wise words indeed fiona as things may happen in the pratical part of the test which are beyond one's control.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭wylo

fiona-f wrote: »
    "but theres no need to kill yourself studying, the worst that can happen is 1 grade2 mark for the theory part."

I'm afraid I disagree! I think the best preparation for your test has to be practicing driving, but in the times when you can't do that, say at lunchtime at work or whatever, then definitely throw yourself into the study. The questions are the one thing you can prepare thoroughly; you can prepare them all in advance and there will be no nasty surprises with them, so if you get a grade 2 on it, it seems a huge waste really. You can take control of this part of the test with a little bit of preparation, and best of all, you don't need to pay an instructor €50 an hour for the privilege! I'd rather keep my full set of grade 2s for the practical part to deal with maybe unexpected situations when I'm out on the road or a silly error like stalling due to nerves. Obviously, ideally I'll return to the test centre with all the grade 2s (and grade 3s!) fully intact!

Fair enough, good point, I meant more in terms of, if you have the choice practice your driving(especially the routes), instead of spending all your time studying.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭daveharnett

darling.x wrote: »
    Thanks for the replies.
    I've my test in two weeks time. I've been freaking out because i forgot a lot that i studied last year for the theory test. Hopefully i'll be fine. I was able to answer the sample questions here in this thread. For now i'll study things that i'm unsure of like hand signals, and road signs too.

Wouldn't stress about it. Getting a question wrong is a grade 1 fault, so you can miss two without any penalty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Betsyohoh

Like the others I wouldn't stress about it. It looks a lot more intimidating than it is. Easy to say now! :rolleyes: I was asked all the same questions as well and the one that apparently gets a lot of people - the clearway road sign and the pedestrian road sign. I just imagined a matchstick man for the pedestrian one so I could tell the difference! Failed first time, got it second. SGS are very professional but the guy I got while quiet just had a friendly air about him and with the little palm pilot thing you can't see them marking you so you're less likely to be put off. The first time I did it the sheet was visible to me...as were the pen movements!

Good luck

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭K09

I passed!! Was delighted! Like finishing the leaving cert again! Had big smile on my face all day!
    Was really nervous and tense before test but I concentrated really hard and all went well.

Stop teasing me k09. I had to cancel my test due to a small accident i had on sunday.
    Congrats all the same. Were you learning to drive for long. I started in jan 08 and i'm not having much luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 trster100

wylo wrote: »
    Anyway one big piece of advice is not to come across as overconfident(attitude wise) or cocky, just be modest, try not to appear too nervous (if you can) because a confident driver is a good driver.
    -know all the obvious road signs,
    -Know your engine bits,just the few basic ones like coolant, oil etc, but theres no need to kill yourself studying, the worst that can happen is 1 grade2 mark for the theory part.

and now for the important bits
    -Dont drive too slow, it annoys the testers, they want to get on with it
    -keep checking mirrors and looking around, almost to a ridiculous point, obviously keeping an eye in front of you.
    -LET THEM SEE YOU looking around, make it really obvious, they mightnt be arsed looking at your eyes, they want to know you know what to do.
    -know your hand signals
    -STOP at stop sign, then edge on,even if theres no cars.
    -Dont panic if you see them doing something, it could have been from something 2 minutes ago,or 5 minutes ago.
    -DONT change more than one gear in one clutch pressing, thats coasting and testers hate it, its dangerous.
    -be really obviously cautious with hazards, like a tractor/truck parked badly or something

I really think they judge your overall driving and then decide if there gonna pass you or not by giving grade 1s and grade 2s. My point is, I thought I had failed my second one but kept driving as well as possible and passed so If your feeling down just press on and dont get annoyed, because they might just decide near the end whether they'll give you that last grade 2 or not.

Sorry but a couple of your comments are rubbish and likely to relult in someone failing.
    1) Everyone is nervous (just about). Testers are used to it and it make NO DIFFERENCE whatsoever whether your "cocky" or not.
    2) If you do get a grade 2 for the questions it only leaves you with 7 grade 2 mistakes on your drive. Don't risk it.
    3)Same goes for under the bonnet checks.
    4) UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES should you keep checking your outside mirrors to the ridiculous point. There's no quicker way to fail your test!!
    5) Testers will absolutely know whether your looking in your mirrors.
    6) Theres nothing wrong with changing down more than 1 gear as long as its done correctly.

I should know. I'M A TESTER!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 trster100

Wouldn't stress about it. Getting a question wrong is a grade 1 fault, so you can miss two without any penalty.

But getting 3 wrong is a grade 2 and one less mistake your allowed to make on your drive.

Advertisement