Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isnt it time Tommy Tiernan fuc*ed off

Options
  • 15-11-2008 12:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭

Like most Irish people I enjoy the craic and a joke like everybody. However I cant see anything funny about this unfunny navan plonker making fun out of the most vulnerable people in society and mimicking them. What kind of a washed up comic do you have to be when you resort to that crap. Look at all the top comedians throughout the world, they dont need to take the pis* out of people with physical or mental difficulties. I heard of a gig he did at the cats laughs festival and half of the audience walked out when he did his joke about handicapped people. he was original and funny years ago, he just seems desperate and sad now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 newkid

I think he is very funny. Ya he takes it abit too far at times, but I just click with him.

The show i was at he was brilliant and no one walked out

• Registered Users Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

He should go the Bernard Manning route. Set up a night club to attract his like minded bigoted fan base. His problem is that he's just run out of material.
    He can't think outside the box, like Ed Byrne and Dylan Moran etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

He's a bleeding numpty. I seen him years ago when he came out first and he was excellent. Second time I seen him he was alright. Last time I seen him he was bloody brutal.

He's not original anymore any interview he does he uses the same jokes that are on his DVD's.

I was at the show when he tried to take the piss outta handycapped people, he went on for ages putting on the voice and I only heard a few giggles from the crowd. Alot of angry people in the crowd that night. Then he went on to say that he doesnt mind Handycapped people and he done the DSI run on his motorbike. That annoyed me, just cos ya went for a spin on your motorbike to raise money (and free publicity) for Down syndrome ireland, doesnt automatically mean you can take the piss out of unfortunate people.

Then he took the piss out of bikers who where left paralysed after crashes. Saying he got his motorbike form the rehabilitation unit. A few days later it was in the paper stating that he was onmly messing and didnt one of his relations die in a motorbike accident or something like that years ago. Yes thats sad someone died but again that doesnt give you permission to take the piss outta other people.

He is trying to hard to go for the shock value and then ends up looking stupid.
    Also whats with all the shouting and screaming. You have a microphone on ya prat, we can here you.

He'll offend the wrong person some night and get the crap kicked outta him and I for one am not gonna feel sorry for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭EnigmasWhisper

He should go the Bernard Manning route. Set up a night club to attract his like minded bigoted fan base. His problem is that he's just run out of material.
    He can't think outside the box, like Ed Byrne and Dylan Moran etc.

I agree with you there 100 %, but isnt it better that he just quietly dissappears from the scene, he seems pathetic these days

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Never found him funny to be honest. Well actually the very odd time he comes out with a good one (See Duck séx joke) but I just cant stand him. Why does he have to shout? And jump around like that, he goes for the shock factor and the in your face so you are kinda pressured to laugh, never liked him never will.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,655 ✭✭✭1966

Cant stand him either - though judging by his sold out gigs all over the country I am in the minorty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭Drax

Yep. He should f*ck right off.
    Seeing him on the Late Late was the last straw for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 emmamariecarrol

I heard people say they thought he was brilliant then i watched one of his shows,brutal and desperate still don't describe how bad he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

he was very good

havnt seen him in years maybe he isnt as funny HOWEVER imo no subject should be out of bounds for comedy NONE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Saw him live twice, laughed my head off.

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pierrot

Yes. Was funny. Now is not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,987 ✭✭✭✭zAbbo

I remember watching some show and he was sneering at the comedy of Andrew Dice Clay

Both are lowest common denominator comedians

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

His problem is he bursted onto the scene with an over the top funny DVD full of shocking material.

The only way to go from there is more shocking. Eventually you either stop or go to places where people aren't comfortable and they consider it off base to make those jokes. He has reached that point. He can keep going but the numbers will just keep going down.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Rochie IRL

His comedy is not main stream anymore so he shouldn't be in the main stream at all now. He shouldn't be getting publicity or let on the likes of the late late. Time and a place for everything and his stuff is falling into that range at the moment and should be advertised differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Like most Irish people I enjoy the craic and a joke like everybody. However I cant see anything funny about this unfunny navan plonker making fun out of the most vulnerable people in society and mimicking them. What kind of a washed up comic do you have to be when you resort to that crap. Look at all the top comedians throughout the world, they dont need to take the pis* out of people with physical or mental difficulties. I heard of a gig he did at the cats laughs festival and half of the audience walked out when he did his joke about handicapped people. he was original and funny years ago, he just seems desperate and sad now
    Tommy explaned himself and said that handicapped people don't mind getting the piss taken out of them. A lot of them supported Tommy and said they should have the piss taken out of them, the same as anyone else. They don't want to be treated differently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Quint wrote: »
    Tommy explaned himself and said that handicapped people don't mind getting the piss taken out of them. A lot of them supported Tommy and said they should have the piss taken out of them, the same as anyone else. They don't want to be treated differently.

I don't give a FYLIN' FOOK what garbage Tommy Tiernan gives as an excuse - i don't want to hear his crap,bigotted stand up or see his ugly head on my telly anymore, or on my radio also with his gobshoite mate Hector (that show is skitter,pure shoite).
    I'm not comfortable with his content and cant be happy with myself laughing at the type of stuff he does.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Comedy shouldn't be about making fun of people. Good comedians don't need to rely on shock value or playground mocking. Good comedy imo is when an everyday situation or event is looked at in a humourous way. I can't think of any specific examples, but I quickly looked up some comedians I like on youtube and found clips I consider funny, that don't aim to shock or mock people.

Okay, this one is slightly NSFW, so beware:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Liked the live show for the most part.

Almost died for him on The Late Late. Cringe worthy stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

i agree with thinking he was good years ago but what made me sick of him was the people repeating every single joke he said when im hanging in groups of friends in college or whereever!! :mad: gets a tad bit old when you hear the "DID YOU EVER RAAAAAPPPPPEEEE SOMEONE" joke for the 50th time!! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

I don't give a FYLIN' FOOK what garbage Tommy Tiernan gives as an excuse - i don't want to hear his crap,bigotted stand up or see his ugly head on my telly anymore, or on my radio also with his gobshoite mate Hector (that show is skitter,pure shoite).
    I'm not comfortable with his content and cant be happy with myself laughing at the type of stuff he does.

Solution: Turn off said TV/radio. Read uninspiring chick-lit.

Sean_K wrote: »
    Solution: Turn off said TV/radio. Read uninspiring chick-lit.

Sean, what a simplistic solution:D gosh,you are wise.
    Now, have you anymore pearls of wisdom to share with us:rolleyes:

:confused: NOT

• Closed Accounts Posts: 950 ✭✭✭EamonnKeane

He's like Dane Cook - frantic delivery covers up the lameness of most of his jokes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

He's pathetic,just pathetic.
    His attempt to conquer america went tits up amid such gems as "I'll tell ye a funny story about the holocoust".
    He was lucky he got out in one piece.
    Prat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭marti101

I cant stand him he just really rubs me up the wrong way.Dylan Moran is a goosd comic he has timing and hes funny.

Well as I said, plenty of disabled people liked it.
    Maybe RTE should get you in to preview everything to make sure you're comfortable with it?
    Although I agree with you about hector.

Says who?

Maybe RTE should get you in to preview everything to make sure you're comfortable with it?
    Although I agree with you about hector.

Wow - another pearl of wisdom from the wise one here called Quint - light dawns on marble head when quint speaks:rolleyes:

Degsy wrote: »
    Says who?
    A load of people and organisations that rang up Joe Duffy about it.
    Wow - another pearl of wisdom from the wise one here called Quint - light dawns on marble head when quint speaks:rolleyes:
    Good comeback

• Advertisement

A load of people and organisations that rang up Joe Duffy about it.

So why did anybody bother complaining.
    I'm pretty sure if i had anybody disabled in my family i wouldnt find it funny having a shiithead like him taking the piss out of thier condition.
    In fact i still dont find it funny mocking those less fortunate.
    The hat-wearing fool should be aware that he could end up disabled himself and see if he finds somebody mocking his predicament funny.

Advertisement