Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what club are you starting with?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I started with Cork City. I set the start date for january 2009. Unfortunatly im still in the 12 team league(it's supposed to be cut back to 10 with 4 games against each team for 2009) but instead of playing 3 games against each other team iv to play 4.

after a good start my fixture list has become so congested iv a game every 4 days and my players are knackered which leads to a long injury list and losing games to galway utd 4-0.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 15,946 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Man City for a easy fun start see what I can do in 2 seasons then start with a lower team, although I think the days of starting in the bottom league and getting to the top are maybe gone, prob championship manager 99/00 was the last time I did that, didn't play 08 so still learning.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Leeds , sleeping giants have won promotion first season and have brought in a few gems that i have found on the cheap :) , i really expect to go up again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Villain wrote: »
    Man City for a easy fun start see what I can do in 2 seasons then start with a lower team, although I think the days of starting in the bottom league and getting to the top are maybe gone, prob championship manager 99/00 was the last time I did that, didn't play 08 so still learning.
    Definetly not gone. Wander over to the SI forums and search for the dafuge challenge thread. Loads of people on there working on taking teams from the BSS/BSN to Champions League glory.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭pilot1087

started with Tranmere.. just got promoted to the championship in first season.. board have given me a transfer budget of 10k.. its going to be tough to avoid relegation.

• Advertisement

3 seasons in with Ramsgate and we've made it to the football League after back to back league wins.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

pilot1087 wrote: »
    started with Tranmere.. just got promoted to the championship in first season.. board have given me a transfer budget of 10k.. its going to be tough to avoid relegation.

same here managed promotion thru play offs and the gave me 13k to spend:mad:

i had some nice players lined up at the 100k mark was hopeing on a few of them was obv expecting a lot more to spend!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,172 ✭✭✭NaiveMelodies

Just got promoted with Celta Vigo to the Primera Liga after my first season, after a last day win to take 3rd spot..
    I'm actually regretting that now, as I reckon I'm going straight down and would have rathered build a better squad instead of been thrown into the deep end.

I've got 5 mill and need about 6 players and have been asked to achieve a safe mid-table position:eek:.

My best player is Aquino and i'm considering selling him for 10m+ except i only get 30% of transfer fees!

Any Ideas for players?

redzerdrog wrote: »
    same here managed promotion thru play offs and the gave me 13k to spend:mad:

i had some nice players lined up at the 100k mark was hopeing on a few of them was obv expecting a lot more to spend!!!

Yeh, we're stugglin to get out of the relegation zone. Just haven't got the players to compete and with a transfer budget like the one I was given, I have no hope. Trying to loan in some half decent players. Really stuck for a keeper now as well

pilot1087 wrote: »
    Yeh, we're stugglin to get out of the relegation zone. Just haven't got the players to compete and with a transfer budget like the one I was given, I have no hope. Trying to loan in some half decent players. Really stuck for a keeper now as well

my 1st signing last season was brian murphy from bohs he is doing a good job at the min think i got him for 8k plus a reserve player

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »
    my 1st signing last season was brian murphy from bohs he is doing a good job at the min think i got him for 8k plus a reserve player

I've put in a few bids for him already but bohs won't let him go. I'll try another one with a reserve player thrown in and see what happens

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Am installing the game now, will start with either Reading or Sunderland. Most likely Reading so i have Doyle and the Hunts and i hear you get good money with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Truck

Starting with a promising Yeovil Town..:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 132 ✭✭omgiluvxmas

cannot wait to get this game on the 25th and download loi pack and guide cork city to the title and then hopefully europe.:cool:

in game best performance i ever seen by a loi side was derry who got past the uefa group stages. i've seen some people make champions league with loi teams, which while is a challenge is hardly a massive deal but getting into last 16 seems nay on impossible(btw if u have done it don't inform me i want to keep the air of uncompleteiveness alive)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Never started that game with Ramsgate:pac:

Got really into my game with Reading. In my fourth season, mid table in the Premiership pushing for the European spots.

Have a fantastic team since I was taken over by a New Zealand businessman:D

Ashdown/Sifakis
    Bosingwa
    Taylor
    Bikey
    Nyatanga
    Ireland/Larsson-Van Der Vaart--Harper/Cook(Portsmouth youth teamer)--Downing
    Doyle/Alves/Altidore/Sulejmani

Irish team manager now after been offered the job after Trappa was sacked:eek:

Shame you never got going with Ramsgate Santry...I've now managed promotion 3 seasons in a row and currently sitting in about 7th in League 1 at the start of the January transfer window. With 3 premiership rated Spaniards on the way who knows...a push for the playoffs and a bit of luck and it could be 4 in a row :eek:

after starting with tranmere i get promoted in the 1st season to championship but they give me peanuts to spend. I still avoided relegation and at the end of the seaon signed 4 quality players and still below wage budget then the start of the next season they cut my wage budget from 47,000 to 34,000 so i am way way over the wage budget and none of my players will move on:(:(:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 tostao1014

I started with Man City like the other guys said for some transfer action. But by November of season 1 I quit and decided to do it the hard way with Eastbourne Borough in the BSP.

It's tough. Just finished season 1, we played 54 games this season. With not enough money for a big squad I struggled with injuries and putting out a side in match fit condition. I spent 3k on players and brought in 26k. Won 19 Lost 19. Scored 71 Conceeded 71.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,386 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Starting off with Leeds. Only at end of October in season 1, but its going ok. In 2nd place, but now have Beckford and Snodgrass back from injury, so should pick results up again.

Daemonic wrote: »
    Shame you never got going with Ramsgate Santry...I've now managed promotion 3 seasons in a row and currently sitting in about 7th in League 1 at the start of the January transfer window. With 3 premiership rated Spaniards on the way who knows...a push for the playoffs and a bit of luck and it could be 4 in a row :eek:
    It wasn't 4 in a row :(
    In fact I spent 3 seasons in League 1 before managing to win it and reach the Championship. Now I'm facing teams who pay a single player more than my entire weekly wage budget of 35k :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I decided to start again unemployed and took the job with Coleraine. I'm in my fourth season. Iv finished mid-table in the league every season but iv won the Irish Cup and reached the finals of the league cup and Setanta cup.

Still finding it difficult to attract decent players to the club though.:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,951 ✭✭✭DSB

In my 3rd season with Fisher in the Blue Square South. After 2 midtable finishes, I'm hovering around the playoffs so hopefully can go up this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭ChristIsMurph

I started with leeds, just in the middle of january now. Signed players like Smertin, Larsson and Fowler all on frees. All class players for league one. Currently top of the table by one point havin won 19, drawn 2 and lost 2.

League 1 - First
    JPT - Northern Final vs Scunthorpe
    League Cup - Knocked out 3rd round by Everton
    FA Cup - Fourth round vs Bolton

Only problem is no money and very low wage budget of 80,000. I'm tryin to sign players who want like 10,000 a week but most im allowed offer is 8,000

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭L.S.F

Started with United, couldn't score f
    to save my life, lost charity shield and won super cup both on penos after 0-0 draws. beat hull 2-0 opening day then defeats to sunderland, arsenal, villareal and liverpool. unbeaten since but drawing 0-0 or 1-0 wins over lesser teams after having loads of shots. Teams clicked last few games winning 4-1, 4-2 & 4-0 in last 3 games.

So geting addicted again, no more early nights for me anymore for a while :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭jusk

I started with Wexford Youths. Finished 3rd in my first season, and had a good cup run, despite only being expected to avoid coming last. Had no money to spend, but got a few interesting frees, including Mustapha Hadji, rather inexplicably, and a scottish striker called Ubong Umatang.

Consolodated with more decent free transfers, including Alan Cawley, and some good youngsters from the U-17 squad and hoping for promotion this season!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I decided to give the MLS a go with FC Dallas.

Signed Thomas Gravesen on a free and he is ****e. Finished third in the Western conference after winning my last five games so I qualified for the SuperLiga and the MLS Playoffs and drew LA Galaxy in the first round.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I decided to give the MLS a go with FC Dallas.

Signed Thomas Gravesen on a free and he is ****e. Finished third in the Western conference after winning my last five games so I qualified for the SuperLiga and the MLS Playoffs and drew LA Galaxy in the first round.

iirc you have a quality Goalkeeper and defender in Josh Lambo and Brek Shea respectively, I picked them both up with Arsenal and they've really improved playing in the reserves..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,246 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Frisbee wrote: »
    iirc you have a quality Goalkeeper and defender in Josh Lambo and Brek Shea respectively, I picked them both up with Arsenal and they've really improved playing in the reserves..
    Lambo's only 17/18 afaik. There's a far better keeper there already called Dario Sala and he's much more experienced as well.

Shea's a very good sub but the way I have the team set up he's not as effective playing for ninety minutes. Victor Sikora is my left winger and he's amazing. Shea's "natural" position is ML so he's not 100% at AML. The left-back area is already filled as well, again with someone better suited.

They do both seem to be great prospects though. There's plenty of talented youngsters in the MLS.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭Dexters16

started off with everton to get used to the game, they gave me a whopping 1million to spend first season and them in the UEFA cup!! didnt buy anyone, the club doesnt seem to make much money either during th seasons, won the uefa cup 1st season but nothin since, finished in top 4 a few seasons but just cant get far enough due to lack of funds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭Souless

Arsenal fan for years but when ever I play football manager its to easy to play as them! Since fm2007 I've been playing as Bury. They're division two but man they have got some awesome parent clubs and a few shrewd free transfers and you're away :D I think its 2012 in my game and im in the Premier league :)

Advertisement