Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 book challenge

Options
  • 15-11-2008 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭

I am starting one on monday , if you want to join in post what you read here :cool:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

What is a 50 book challenge? DO you have to read the 50 in a certain amount of time?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I do the self imposed 52 book challenge - 1 a week each year.

Give us some details on what you are doing. Maybe start a reading log to track them in the sub forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭crotalus667

líreacán wrote: »
    What is a 50 book challenge? DO you have to read the 50 in a certain amount of time?

It’s 50 books in a year , it’s a pretty common challenge and the parameters can be moved to suite your goals so if you want to read more or less you can set your self a different goal the only rule is that you enjoy your self :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

I really need to make more time for reading I'll give it a go..

BossArky wrote: »
    I do the self imposed 52 book challenge - 1 a week each year.

Give us some details on what you are doing. Maybe start a reading log to track them in the sub forum.

That sounds like a good idea ;)

It’s simple starting Monday I (and any one who would like to join in) intend to go threw 50 books or more in under 12 months , generally the way these things work is once you have finished a book you post it with your opinion of it ,how you rate it or the text from the cover (the only rule is no spoilers)

It’s kind of like a buddy system for reaching your reading goal's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Caros

Cool! did something like this on live journal yonks ago so I'd love to give it a go here!

Ok, cool, I'll give it a try, not been reading as much as I should lately!! Now just have to pick a book for Monday and then fish out that old library card!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭ronano

i also do a self imposed book a week for year dealo though if i finish a book in 2 days i add the 5 days on to next week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Sounds like a great idea. I will definitely give it a try. Need to start reading more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭starn

Yeah I like the sound this any rcomandations. Being a bloke I dont really read fiction. But would appriciate some suggestions

• Advertisement

Ok people this is the official 50 book challenge reading log

The challenge officially starts on this date ==> 17: November 2008 (although you can join in any time you like)

Rules

1. Read 50 books in one year (or you can pick a number of books that suit’s your self just declare the number of books on this thread )

That’s really the only rule

Once you read a book post it and it’s number (ie , book 12 catcher in the rye) in this thread with a brief description (ie what’s written on the cover ) and let us know what you thought of it ( please no spoilers)

You can read any book you want although I would encourage you to try and include some books that challenge you,

Start reading and have fun

Ok people here is the link to the reading log for this challenge I look forward to seeing you there
    :D
    The 50 book Challenge Log

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

Actually I mean everyone participating should create their own personal log in the reading logs forum.

It kinda defeats the purpose of the reading logs forum if you have heaps of people posting in just one log, instead of individual ones.

Do you want me to drag the main one back in here? You could use that as a focal point for the challenge in general once people start creating their own logs.

Do you want me to drag the main one back in here? You could use that as a focal point for the challenge in general once people start creating their own logs.
    If you think that will work better go for it ;) As long as there is some sort of communal thread for people to gather in it’s all good:D

Right I am off to start my first book :D (I Don’t want to fall behind on the first day :p )

The two threads are now merged (into this one). Hope that is ok.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57932983#post57932983

I have started my Reading Log here! Good luck to all!

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Great idea, have a large pile to get through and this would give me motivation to do it.:)
    In the middle of a book currently, once I finish that, I'll start the challenge.

If you can read this, you're too close!

The two threads are now merged (into this one). Hope that is ok.

Yep that's cool :cool:
    :D

One book down and started my reading log here

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=57963379#post57963379

Caros wrote: »

Hey Caro, have started my second book which is "The Kite Runner" by the same author. I have read "A Thousand Splendid Suns" - What a book!!!! Really looking forward to finishing this one now!!!

• Advertisement

Definitely going to read The Kite Runner soon too!
    Started Dicken's "A Christmas Carol" today as it's thnext month's read for the book club I go to.

How is everyone getting on? I've been bad the past week, haven't started my thrid book yet as I had exams, but gonna head to the library tomorrow and pick up a few to keep me going for the next couple of weeks!

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

líreacán wrote: »
    How is everyone getting on? I've been bad the past week, haven't started my thrid book yet as I had exams, but gonna head to the library tomorrow and pick up a few to keep me going for the next couple of weeks!

Just started the first book last night, but it did motivate me to finish a book that had been sitting around for a while.:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

Hi people just a little up date , sorry I have not been around I have had exams to deal with , long story short I’m a few books behind actually I’m still on my first one the plan was to uses my recreational reading as a break from studding but that didn’t work out , any way exams are over so I will be clocking them up as of tomorrow , how is everyone else doing ??

3 books down and started on no 4 last night - The Golden Notebook by Doris Lessing.

Hope the exams went well Crotalus.

Caros wrote: »
    Hope the exams went well Crotalus.
    Thanks Caros, I will reserve judgment until I get the results :p (I wont get them until after Christmas )

Finally I finished my first book:rolleyes: “longest 261 pages ever”

It was the Gathering by Anne Enright id give it 5/10 (a very over rated book:()

Ooooo the relief now I can get started on my next book “The Virgin Suicides” :DI will start my reading log tomorrow I have a lot of catching up to do :p

How is everyone else getting on ???

I'm on book 4 at the moment and hope to finish it tonight. Started a new job so am not going at the pace I expected (seeing as I expected to be unemployed), but chugging along nicely!!!

Bought the new JK Rowling there the other day, dunno if I'll count it towards my challenge, it looks quite short!!! I'll see how I'm doing :P

Good luck with the exam results Crotalus! I got mine the other day and was pleasantly surprosed, hope you will be too!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,590 ✭✭✭Tristram

lol must join in on this

does His Dark Materials count as one or three? ;)

• Advertisement

Tristram wrote: »
    lol must join in on this

does His Dark Materials count as one or three? ;)
    I do believe it’s original format was 3 and it is called a trilogy so Id say it counts as 3 (3 of the best books I have ever read:p)

Advertisement