Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

50 book challenge

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

1 down 49 to go, mario puzo godfather

(i started it before christmas shhhh)

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭lemon_sherbert

Count me in on this one too, I'll post a Reading Log when I finish my first book. It's a New Year's Resolution I can keep, and might actually enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭rosboy

I'm in. For reasons beyond my control I haven't really read in the past two years. I'm hoping to get back into reading now, so this is a good way to track my reading! I've started my log here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭líreacán

Wow, lots of people getting involved!! Great!!

I wonder how many will be left at the end... I'm finding it harder now to get time to read now I'm back to work, so will have to really make an effort in the evenings to close the laptop and get reading!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Sweeno

No. 2 Death and the Penguin - Andrey Kurkov

really good book, love russian writers for some reason

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Decided to give it a go so I'm one book down 49 to go, put a list together tonight of unread books that are knocking about the house.
    I usually have a couple of books on the go depending on what mood I'm in, it's nice to be able to read something that doesn't require huge concentration if you're really tired.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055467450

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

On books 5+6 now, one for work at lunchtime and one for at home;)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I'm attempting to read 40 books in 2009, which I think is a very manageable goal. Hoping to exceed it by about 25%, but who knows what the year will throw at me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Sure, why not :) I'm not an uber-fast reader, but I've got 2 full books down so far.

I guess it doesn't count if you started it in 2008 but finished it in 2009?

Currently reading Joseph Conrad's "Heart of Darkness" FINALLY. It's been on my list literally for years. So that will be #3

So how is everyone getting along?? I'm 14 weeks in to my challenge and only 8 books down :( Currently reading Midniight's Children by Rushdie, which is taking longer than I would like, but will read a few shorter, easier, more lighthearted ones after to make up for it, hopefully I can get back on track...

• Advertisement

I'm reading book 14 at the moment, but I know how you're feeling, I'm reading Clarissa, by Samuel Richardson, at the moment and it's a looong book!
    I read Midnights Children just before Christmas, really liked it, but found it was definitely tough going at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

GRARGH I had all these dramatic plans to read this year (Even had a list of books to read) but this damn leaving cert is in the way.

Not fair.

Still have read some good stuff this year, just not nearly as much as I had intended.

• Moderators Posts: 51,779 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Should be finished book 7 in the next day or so. Will have to try and pick up the pace:)

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Tawfee

couple of years ago, i read 50 books in the year, not by plan, just had plenty of time on my hands. Tried to do the same the following year and got to 48 or so, but I found that i wasn't enjoying too many of the books i'd read. Instead of savouring the story or the writing, ended up constantly checking how many pages left to read. Stopped doing it last year, and started really enjoying my reading again. It's an interesting challenge for a year i suppose, but don't forget to enjoy the books at teh same time.

Funny, I don;t find that I'm enjoying the books any less than usual, but I do find that I'm sticking with the books I start, and I'm picking up another book, as soon as I finish one. I like this challenge so far, I did one a couple years ago where I read 100 in a year, but I was in 4th year at the time, and the teen novels were much quicker reads!:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭finalfantasist

My Reading Log

Currently on book 8 (Beyond the Shadows) at the moment, and have already picked what my ninth (Heart-Shaped Box) is.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Chowburger

I started doing this in January — studying English in college is a big help!

So far I've read:

The Hound of the Baskervilles by Arthur Conan Doyle. (A+++)
    She - H. Rider Haggard.
    Howards End - E.M. Forster.
    Great Expectations - Charles Dickens.
    The End of Mr. Y - Scarlett Thomas. (A waste of three days.)
    Sense & Sensibility - Jane Austen.

And I'm working on:

Bleak House - Charles Dickens. (Had to put it on hold when I went back to college, which was really annoyinh.)
    Dubliners - James Joyce.
    Women in Love - D.H. Lawrence. (Ugh.)

I spent a few years not reading much at all, so this feels really, really good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Havent posted here before but said it take part for the motivation. I thought I had much more read so far, so it looks like Ive a bit of catching up to do :)

So far this year:
    1 Hard Times - Charles Dickens
    2 Crime and Punishment - Fyodor Dostoevsky
    3 The Adventures of Huck Finn - Mark Twain
    4 A Clockwork Orange - Anthony Burgess
    5 Last of the Mohican's - James Fenimore Cooper
    6 Coming up for Air - George Orwell

Currently on
    7 Keep the Aspidistra Flying - George Orwell

Next to Read (on the shelf)
    8 Burmese Days - George Orwell
    9 A Clergymans Daughter - George Orwell
    10 Great Expectations - Charles Dickens
    11 Dracula - Bram Stoker
    12 The Last Man - Mary Shelly
    13 Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
    14 The Leavetaking - John McGahern

Finally finished my 9th book, it was a tough oul slog, but killed two birds with one stone, got another book read for the challenge AND read another of the Guardian top 1000. Hopefully I'll get my groove back with the next few books, will have to choose wisely!!

Lemon Sherbet: Have to say, reading your log, you are on FIRE! You could change your goal to 100 books in a year!!!!

PS Other people feel free to take part!!! its always good to have a read of other's logs!!!! It doesn't have to be the calendar year, you can start NOW!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭Blue-Eyed

I'm not exactly doing this, but I'm aiming to read a looot more this year, so I might as well try to get to 50!

So far I've read 27 books from the 20th of December. :pac: Even though most of them are probably a little too thin. I should've started my reading log a bit earlier, because I read a 13 book series, and re-read the Harry Potter books right before I started. :D

• Advertisement

líreacán wrote: »
    Lemon Sherbet: Have to say, reading your log, you are on FIRE! You could change your goal to 100 books in a year!!!!

Why thank you! :o

I always read quite quickly, and I read while doing everything. I am half way through number 25, so I may yet change it. But then I do have some classics on my shelf to try, and those always take a good deal longer to read. I love the structure a challenge like this gives my reading, I always pick up another book as soon as I finish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭laurashambles

I did this in '08 but I only managed to read 46 books by the end of the year. I only started in May though, so all things considered I didn't do too badly.

So far this year, I've read 21 books but most of them have been aimed at kids/young adults and I haven't finished anything in about a month so I've fallen behind a little. :( Currently reading The Princess Bride, The Bell Jar and Wuthering Heights.

So far this year, I've read 21 books but most of them have been aimed at kids/young adults and I haven't finished anything in about a month so I've fallen behind a little. :( Currently reading The Princess Bride, The Bell Jar and Wuthering Heights.

If it's a book, it counts!:D The whole point of the challenge (well, in my opinion), is to enjoy it, so don't read books you don't want to, but the ones you like.

My latest is taking a long while, I abandoned one, and have started another, but I just can't get into it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Since Jan. 2009 I've probably read around 15 books (Mainly history) but might give this a shot next year! I don't read nearly enough fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

I've read both do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep and The Beach in the past few days. Amazing reads, The Beach is a masterpiece, everything I could ever want from a book really. Anybody know any other good travel orientated books, I need to escape from this drab weather until I can actually go travelling myself in june. :D:D I've been recommended 'Falling off the Map' by Iyer.

Advertisement