Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Barred from Launderette

Options
  • 15-11-2008 12:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

My uncle uses his local launderette to get his clothes cleaned on a weekly basis and has found them to be less than satisfactory because items have come back unwashed and they have lost items belonging to him. He never complained about the unwashed items because he doesn't like to cause a fuss and merely put them back in the next wash but he did complain about lost items and the manager allowed him to have a bag of clothes cleaned for free. However he recently lost a shirt and jumper and complained to the staff who told him he would have to talk with the manager. After a few weeks of unsuccessful attempts to meet the manager she rang him and accused him of trying to get free service and that he was barred from their premises. Now I can vouch that my uncle is an honest individual he is very religious and money isn't really a problem that he would need to scam a launderette for an 11 euro bag of washing. I am really annoyed by the way this has been handled and I am wondering what can be done about this as we have no proof that they lost the items.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

The management has the right to refuse to do your uncles laundry, my advice would be to find another launderette.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

jay-me wrote: »
    My uncle uses his local launderette to get his clothes cleaned on a weekly basis and has found them to be less than satisfactory because items have come back unwashed and they have lost items belonging to him. He never complained about the unwashed items because he doesn't like to cause a fuss and merely put them back in the next wash but he did complain about lost items and the manager allowed him to have a bag of clothes cleaned for free. However he recently lost a shirt and jumper and complained to the staff who told him he would have to talk with the manager. After a few weeks of unsuccessful attempts to meet the manager she rang him and accused him of trying to get free service and that he was barred from their premises. Now I can vouch that my uncle is an honest individual he is very religious and money isn't really a problem that he would need to scam a launderette for an 11 euro bag of washing. I am really annoyed by the way this has been handled and I am wondering what can be done about this as we have no proof that they lost the items.

If I, or any of my relatives were treated like that, I would fill in a form for the small-claims court for compensation for the clothing that went missing and wave the form under the manager's nose. Depending on the response, I would then decide whether to appropriately take the launderette to the cleaners or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

ejmaztec wrote: »
    If I, or any of my relatives were treated like that, I would fill in a form for the small-claims court for compensation for the clothing that went missing and wave the form under the manager's nose. Depending on the response, I would then decide whether to appropriately take the launderette to the cleaners or not.

By the gods, what the hell? The shirt and jumper are probably worth less then going through all that trouble. Also, how can he prove that the clothes were ever in the wash?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,075 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

By the gods, what the hell? The shirt and jumper are probably worth less then going through all that trouble. Also, how can he prove that the clothes were ever in the wash?

Call yourself the lastangryman? :P

Some people simply deserve trouble for being total arseholes, as is the case with this jobsworth launderette manager. Some of the most obnoxious individuals have been known to go weak at the knees and cave in at the sight of an official form.

We're talking matters of principle here. The OP's uncle has been called a liar after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Is it not a good thing that they barred him? at least now he is forced to go to a better launderette. The launderette can bar him since it is only discrimmination if he is being barred for e.g. being old or being white.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28 AlonsoX

Its a no win situation, unless he can prove that the items were in the wash in the first place, He would need to have some sort of receipt for the amount of items left at the cleaners and confirmation that they were missing when he went to collect them

Alonso

www.print-cafe.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Well to wrap things up he just decided to let bygones be bygones and has gone to a launderette further away that funnily enough is cheaper and does a better job. Non the less I am still disgusted that he can so easily be treated like this with no ground for retaliation but then again who is going to itemize everything in a bag of washing and have the person who takes it sign that it's accurate?

Advertisement