Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCAS!!! college in England, wales and scotland

Options
  • 15-11-2008 1:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 47

Hey there just wondering if there was anyone out there thinking about applying to ucas to go to college in the U.K ???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

applied the other day...
    results wise it's a LOT lower so hopefully i get offered a conditional place.

applied to radiography in queen margarets.
    have to say doing work experience in a hospital, nearly everyone i talked to had trained in the uk, which says something about ireland i think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 howtobeknown

Yea i applied yesterday

Choice 1: Bangor University (B06) English Language and Physical Education (CQ63)
    Choice 2: Bangor University (B06) English Language and Sports Science (QC36)
    Choice 3: Cardiff University (C15) English Literature/Religious Studies (VQ63)
    Choice 4: Liverpool John Moores University (L51) Primary & Secondary Education: Physical Education (XC1P)
    Choice 5: Newman University College, Birmingham (N36) English with Sports Studies (Q3C6)

What was ur choices??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭fionnmar

wouldnt recommend uk colleges...the points are a lot lower but the standard is also a lot lower imho....some are grand but in general i thought my mates who went to college in galway and dublin met good people there and thats a lot about what college is about as well.. not just the academics..

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

fionnmar wrote: »
    wouldnt recommend uk colleges...the points are a lot lower but the standard is also a lot lower imho....some are grand but in general i thought my mates who went to college in galway and dublin met good people there and thats a lot about what college is about as well.. not just the academics..
    Don't get how the standard is lower?? In the end, a degree is a degree, and UK degree are recognised more around the world, so could benefit you that way. Grades are generally lower to get in as there are something like 110 universities in UK, thats not including colleges, which are like our IT's, so there's not as much conpetition for the places

• Advertisement

fionnmar wrote: »

The standards are def not lower?? so dnt no what ur on bout?? and people are the same everywhere it doesnt really matter at the end of the the ya can may the crack..!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

I'm almost finished my application. howtobeknown, JMU seems like an excellent college. I really wanted to apply for it but I'm only doing 4 honours subjects so I can't.

was just wondering, when are the conditional offers given?

Ive sent mine during the week does ur prinicibal have to do something withur application after u have sent??? not to sure bout the conditional offers!!

Ive sent mine during the week does ur prinicibal have to do something withur application after u have sent??? not to sure bout the conditional offers!!

yeah, they have to get predictions of all your grades from your teachers and write a reference letter for you

• Advertisement

kateos2 wrote: »
    yeah, they have to get predictions of all your grades from your teachers and write a reference letter for you

Oh ok . And do i have to inform my princibal or how will he know?? cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭kittex

Hi guys,
    I teach in the UK and just to clarify - overall the standards are not lower. The entry grades are lower as there are significantly fewer pupils applying for places. They don't need to try and keep people out, they are trying to get people in.

If you go on to the Times website, or Google Good University Guide, you'll get the rankings with the inspection reports for the main UK universities.

Oh ok . And do i have to inform my princibal or how will he know?? cheers

i'm not sure, my career guidance teacher did it for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Mr.S wrote: »
    theres no "set" time, you can get a offer whenever, it depends on the course and college, usually though, the early you get the application in, the quicker you get the offers.

I sent mine off last week, and have 1 offer already.

This is not true. It depends on your course and whether or not you need to do an interview, aptitude test etc. Some universities won't offer places until after the UCAS deadline

lizt wrote: »
    This is not true. It depends on your course and whether or not you need to do an interview, aptitude test etc. Some universities won't offer places until after the UCAS deadline

So then, there is no "set" time....

KateF wrote: »
    So then, there is no "set" time....

What I meant was they can't count it against you if you get your form in one day before the closing date. It doesn't matter when you get it in

What I meant was they can't count it against you if you get your form in one day before the closing date. It doesn't matter when you get it in
    It does in some though. If people have been given conditional offers already my advice would be to get applications in as soon as you can. Just depends on the uni and the course i suppose, but why take any chances

Yea so i just ask my princibal about it rite cool!!

Look at the thread higher education access route hear 2009!! and answer my question please !!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Some courses require you to sit an extra exam, like the Biomedical Assement Test for veterinary and medicine, so I think anyone who wants to do those has missed the boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭Fad

Piste wrote: »
    Some courses require you to sit an extra exam, like the Biomedical Assement Test for veterinary and medicine, so I think anyone who wants to do those has missed the boat.

For Vetinary an Medicine, you had to apply by mid October anyway, same with applying for either Oxford or Cambridge.

• Advertisement

Yeah closing date was over a month ago I think.

Mr.S wrote: »
    Yes it does, if you apply the day before the closing date, for a course that is very popular, chances are all the offers have already been given out.

Hmm.. funny when I applied last year I got 5 offers... and I got them all around Feb/ March.

Hmm.. funny when I applied last year I got 5 offers... and I got them all around Feb/ March.
    You have to consider that may have been the closing date for the courses you were looking at. Its a fact that the sooner you get your application, the sooner you will get conditional offers. :) And if you leave it too late you might be unfortunate and not even be offered a place because they're sent out enough offers already.

BTW this should be in the NI and UK college forum, mods.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Grey area. Relevant to both. By your logic all CAO-related threads should be in university forums. If people want to ask specific questions about colleges they should put them in the relevant place, otherwise I'd deem this relevant enough to the LC, as applying for college is certainly a big thing that one does in that year.

Grey area. Relevant to both. By your logic all CAO-related threads should be in university forums. If people want to ask specific questions about colleges they should put them in the relevant place, otherwise I'd deem this relevant enough to the LC, as applying for college is certainly a big thing that one does in that year.

Sorry, just thought as there is a sticky about UCAS in the NI and GB forum, this thread might belong there. Thanks for your reply.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Well, you've a fair point that people should probably check out the NI & GB Colleges forum for UCAS-related stuff, and whatnot.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Just wondering if anyone here would be able to tell me the exact price of sending off the application in euro? I know what it is in sterling but I need to know how much to put on my 3V card.

It'll come down to the exchange rate on the day you send it. At the moment €1 = 89p but that may be different on the day you send off the application. There's a good currency convertor here: http://www.xe.com/ucc/convert.cgi

• Advertisement
Advertisement