Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

subaru impreza

Options
  • 15-11-2008 1:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

at the moment i have mitsubishi galant gls 2.0 year 2000 and its great car but its not quick enough . so i'm planing to get my hands on subaru impreza year 1994-1998 but dont know much about this car. im looking for turbo version , but which of all is turbo one? wrx and wrx sti only? anyway post anything you know about this car.
    thnx.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ahsarova

wrx and wrx sti are both with turbo.

MODEDIT
    Sales pimpage removed

• Registered Users Posts: 10 mariuss

i just want to finde out more about this car before bye it. oh and those are the only models with turbos? what about that gl or gt or rx?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 ahsarova

yes, i think wrx and wrx sti are the only two models that have 2.0L turbo engine, all others have 1.6L non-turbo engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

ahsarova wrote: »
    yes, i think wrx and wrx sti are the only two models that have 2.0L turbo engine, all others have 1.6L non-turbo engine.
    There is a 2 litre non turbo engine also in the Impreza. Back in that generation the WRX was japanese only market. The "normal" impreza turbo had around 215bhp. There's special versions like the RB5, P1, and best of all the 22B, which was a 2.2 turbo, with wide arches. Jap only, 424 examples built.
    The 1.6 were 2WD, I think the 2 litre N/A was 4WD, all turbos are 4WD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

Be wary of the chocolate piston on the rear of the left bank!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

me lack was gonna get one a while back but the import place she went to didnt import them because they said there to much trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Impreza turbos are v-reliable cars, the problem with the imports is that people buy them and drive the ring out of them on normal pump petrol without an ECU remap for Irish petrol which causes det which breaks up the aforementioned "chocolate piston"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

seanybiker wrote: »
    me lack was gonna get one a while back but the import place she went to didnt import them because they said there to much trouble.

I think it was probably an Evo..

I have heard they wont give a warranty with them.

Scoobys are good cars... that is why they are as common as muck.

Mate reckons they are like Romas, once upon a time you would rarely see one... now they are everywhere!:pac:

You will get early ones for sweet FA. But as already been mentioned, most will have been trashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

Iv had four in total over the years with the latter being an STI. All very reliable but must be serviced on the button. I serviced mine every 3k whick was a pain in the a$$ to say the least.
    As mentioned previously the problem with some, or the bad rep, is due to the amount of grey imports running on the lower octane fuel we have here, hence the expression 'chocolate pistons' but with recently introduced higher octane 'green' fuels, this may help matters.

IMO good - car/ grin factor / flat 4 sound :D / can be got quiet cheap now

Downside : Parnoia of things going pop / MPG / service costs / insurance / theft target

Lots of info here ..

http://www.isdc.ie/

http://bbs.scoobynet.co.uk/

thnx for advise! oh and i have mitsubishi galant 2.0 and insurance is 2500 eur for me. would turbo make big difference??
    and also, how its possible to check if the pistons are ok? only way i can thin is to take header off :D
    oh and whats the difference between those turbo models? sti is like m fort bmw but what are the rest of them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Biro wrote: »
    The 1.6 were 2WD

Really? I was always lead to believe that all subaru's were 4WD, no matter the engine or model, even that Justy thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

mariuss wrote: »
    thnx for advise! oh and i have mitsubishi galant 2.0 and insurance is 2500 eur for me. would turbo make big difference??
    and also, how its possible to check if the pistons are ok? only way i can thin is to take header off :D
    oh and whats the difference between those turbo models? sti is like m fort bmw but what are the rest of them?
    What age are ya? I cant even get a quote on one, i know someone that had on when they were 21 and were payin 4800 a year to insure it, was an sti though, also know a girl who drives a 98 type r sti, insurance was 2500 on a prov licence. she was 21 too

Insurance is through the roof on sti's and evo's

Wrx is a 2l turbo but the sti is the daddy, same as the lancer gsr and evo, both 4wd turbos.

Sti is tuned to a higher power and has more high performance parts.

i'm 23 in a few day's at the moment i'm paying 2.5k for 2.0 car but it's not turbo one so for turbo the quote would be higher??
    oh and what about gearbox, because i heard that second gear breaks down or it's just rumors.
    i never had turbo car before so how can i now that turbo is ok? dos it makes some sound or it just don't have acceleration?
    and how about those ''chocolate pistons''? how can i now if they aren't burnt?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

You will be paying alot more than what you are now for an Sti.

Cant believe you can get an insurance for such a machine on a provisional, provisional drivers like that girl shouldnt have such cars.

Anyway Toyota Levins are very easy to insure, super fast and cheap too.

This guy here is looking for a swap for a Jap

http://www.adverts.ie/showproduct.php?product=78583&cpage=2#poststart

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭afatbollix

ill be changing car soon ( from a cheep run around after my other car was wrote off!! ) back to a car in a few mounths.. looking for a good car. i dont drive much but when i do i have to do long jornerys so would like a bit of comfort and speed :)

looking at the subarus (carzone is down at the mo :rolleyes: ) looking up the uk sites you can get a 2003 standerd one for 4 k £ i wouldent know of the vrt but thats looks so cheep compared to 4 k+ € for a 1997 one here :rolleyes:

i dont know tho if i would buy from the uk.. i think i read here that someone will do it for ya? if your still about could you pm me..

also was looking at the skoda vrs.. not made up my mind yet.. going to wait till the new year.. id say a lot of people will drop the price then....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭ytareh

OK I may be stating the obvious here but just in case ....Dont even dream of buying one of these if you travel more than a few miles daily or your fuel bill will be practically bigger than your mortgage...Saddest sight in the world seeing lads driving these at or under the motorway limit and still probably not getting 30mpg if even 25...with the inevitable 'spirited' driving these things will ATE petrol.Ran a Lancer GSR once and couldnt get to the third day without filling up on a fairly short commute(60km-ish) ...Savage ,savage,savage fuel bills ...Id have owned one for the last 5-10 years otherwise but it just doesnt make sense dropping around 500 euro a month on juice-and thats based on the current reduced fuel rates

first of alll who sad that i have provisional drivers license, and about that fuel economy, if you dont have heavy foot it's not gonna be so bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 495 ✭✭Tony Broke

first of alll who sad that i have provisional drivers license, and about that fuel economy, if you dont have heavy foot it's not gonna be so bad.

I was talking about the 21 yr old girl who had the impreza.

I went through the " need power " thing a while back and was very close to getting a 180bhp 1.8 Audi A4 quattro.I wasnt into the celica look and wanted something with room, pre 2001 A4's look savage and they are very cheap now.You could probably get a 00 one for €4500 including vrt, I cant imagine insurance being too expensive either.

Doesnt look like a race car as well :D

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=AUDI&min_pr=75&source=0&model=A4&max_pr=6000&miles=1500&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=quattro&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=1&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=0&ukcarsearch_full.y=0&start=2&distance=17&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200845322590935

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

you dont have heavy foot it's not gonna be so bad.
    If you don't have a heavy right foot why not keep what you have?

Anan1 wrote: »
    If you don't have a heavy right foot why not keep what you have?
    Heavy foot or not they'll drink petrol.

I think the Levin's are the most over rated car on the road, 5k for a 97! Standard they have something like 145bhp.

I'm 21 and I'm looking to get a Type R Teg, quite a bit for insurance but not so bad on Juice.

If you want a turbo, I'd go for a Nissan 200sx, lovely looking, bloody fast and RWD. They're about 220 bhp, and have a serious 0-60, think its something like 6.7sec or something like that. I'd only go for the newer model with the 2L engine, Like this:

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=1246917

The 1.8's are ment to be crap.

I got quoted from Quinn on one of these fully comp for 1800 and I've 2 years no claims, full licence. Most places won't even quote an Scooby Sti, BUT if ya can afford it...GET IT! Epic car to drive and the sound from the engine....phwar!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

and about that fuel economy, if you dont have heavy foot it's not gonna be so bad.

:rolleyes: O it is, expect 250 miles or so from a tank of fuel.
    These cars not much fun below boost :D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

homer90 wrote: »
    :rolleyes: O it is, expect 250 miles or so from a tank of fuel.
    These cars not much fun below boost :D
    250 miles would be good, I didn't see much more than 180 from a Delta integrale and i'm getting 220 around town from a Forester.

Anan1 wrote: »
    250 miles would be good, I didn't see much more than 180 from a Delta integrale and i'm getting 220 around town from a Forester.

Just because its a bit better than a Forester and Delta doesn't make it good fuel economy, and who's going to drive an Impreza and keep it out of bost

• Registered Users Posts: 73,457 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Consider a Galant VR4 if you like the size and comfort that you already have, and if your pockets are deep enough to maintain it and keep it in petrol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Tony Broke wrote: »
    I was talking about the 21 yr old girl who had the impreza.

I went through the " need power " thing a while back and was very close to getting a 180bhp 1.8 Audi A4 quattro.I wasnt into the celica look and wanted something with room, pre 2001 A4's look savage and they are very cheap now.You could probably get a 00 one for €4500 including vrt, I cant imagine insurance being too expensive either.

Doesnt look like a race car as well :D

http://atsearch.autotrader.co.uk/ni/cars_popup.jsp?searchform=&modelexact=1&lid=search_used_cars_full&photo=1&state=block&sort=3&hassearched=Y&make=AUDI&min_pr=75&source=0&model=A4&max_pr=6000&miles=1500&agerange=&mileage=&postcode=m52ty&variant=quattro&bodyid=0&trim=&fuelid=1&colour=&transmissionid=0&keywords=&ukcarsearch_full.x=0&ukcarsearch_full.y=0&start=2&distance=17&adcategory=CARS&channel=CARS&id=200845322590935
    Pity they're shyte though!

Biro wrote: »
    Pity they're shyte though!
    Haha, I quite like the look of em but they aint anywhere near the leauge of Sti's or any high performance turbo Jap car

Advertisement