Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

another "help me with my first build" thread

Options
  • 15-11-2008 3:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭

hey, im building myself a new pc for xmas/just after :pac:

im going to be dual booting vista ultimate x64 and ubuntu. il be using a 24" samsung @ 1920x1200.
    ok so i want it to be quiet, capable of playing any video (up to 1080p rips) without a sweat and really zippy in general. il be using it for everything: movies, encoding, programming, browsing the net, server etc

I am not a gamer so a super gfx card is not necessary. it will be on 24/7

im thinking:
    e8400/500/600
    4gb corsair
    antec 900 (always wanted one)
    corsair 620w (the modular one)

ok so my questions:

gfx: what would be a good card that can play any movie. ive read conflicting stuff on the net that onboard gfx and a good cpu will suffice.
    On my lappy with 8600GT + CoreAVC + MPC it gets the job done but just about. Id like a setup that doesnt need coreavc to take the edge off.

hdd: i have loads already for storage so im looking for a good one for an OS.
    is a raptop really worth the extra money?

mobo: there is seriously too many out there to pick one. im guessing some p35 one that supports all of the above will do. any suggestions that will suit the e8xxx would be great

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

I had a pain in my hole with Vista's bootloader and ubuntu. Do some research on that before anything else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

i cant remember specifics now but i have vista and ubuntu running on 2 computers in my house and dont remember too much hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I would get a Quad cpu instead of a dual.

Ati is the way to go for 1080p, HD 4350 will tear through everything.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=388726

• Closed Accounts Posts: 176 ✭✭dhaddock

cheers, im not up on my graphics card knowledge but that seems nice and cheap for somethingthing that will tear through anything :D

anymore posts wanted and welcome

Advertisement