Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Deposit back ?

Options
  • 15-11-2008 7:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Went to a used car dealership ysterday with a friend and seen a car he liked, He put a small deposit down to hold the car and would buy it once his mechanic checked it out.

His mechanic said the car wasnt in good shape and advised against buying it.

Will he able to get his deposit back on Monday when they re-open ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i imagine he will get it back. Dont know for sure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,282 ✭✭✭Bandara

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

I dont think they will get their deposit back too easily, its probably the only income the dealer has seen for a while. The dealer will "explain" that he took the car off the market pending sale.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,453 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

In a buyers market I don't see any reason to put down a deposit on a car, all of the dealers are weighed down with stock they can't shift. Your friend was obviously given the old line about someone else being on the verge of buying the same car and fell for it so was panicked into putting down a deposit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

deposits are dogy
    if he's nice the dealer should refund

i will be surprised if he dosen't get it back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Hi all,

Went to a used car dealership ysterday with a friend and seen a car he liked, He put a small deposit down to hold the car and would buy it once his mechanic checked it out.

His mechanic said the car wasnt in good shape and advised against buying it.

Will he able to get his deposit back on Monday when they re-open ?
    I'm hoping your friend was clever enough to have 'subject to inspection' or something similar written on the reciept.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,694 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Just back from the dealer(didnt realise they were open today) with him and the dealer was really nice about it. Fair play to him gave back the deposit no problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Just back from the dealer(didnt realise they were open today) with him and the dealer was really nice about it. Fair play to him gave back the deposit no problem.

i thought he would

Advertisement