Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Moped-displaying tax?

• 15-11-2008 11:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭

Hi :) wondering about displaying tax on a moped,can you just keep yore tax disc with you or do you have to buy the holder? I got a holder,but its terrible due to the fact it can be easily removed. So wondering if i have to buy another one,or if i can just keep my tax disc on my person and not fear getting a smack from the guards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

i keep mine displayed but i know loads of people who keep it in their pocket. So far none of them had problems because of this even though you are supposed to display it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I never have the tax disc on my bike - never had an issue when stopped for tax, as having it anywhere (in the box in the back, in my pocket, etc) and been able to produce it when asked, seems fine. Just have it with you at all times.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Most people Im aware of put it on the bike. The metal holders are best, the plastic ones are a joke, they can be snapped off too easily. Some people keep it on their keyring, when the weight of it is not a problem. You can get clear stickers to apply it to a windsheild

The law says it must be displayed, but as has been said, as long as you have it when stopped Im not aware of anyone having a problem not attaching it to the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭Tomohawk

They might give you a "producer" ie 10 days to produce in the garda station, thats when I show them the tax disk as I can't be bothered carrying around individual tax discs for 5 different bikes!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,117 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just have mine on my keys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,577 ✭✭✭lord lucan

mine's with my license in the plastic pouch. came across 2 checkpoints over the last few years and never so much as a raised eyebrow when i had to reach into my inside pocket to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Red Hornet

I jus keep mine in my pocket with my licence. Never had a prob when stopped.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭vektarman

Carrying the disc might be fine as long as you don't park the bike on the street, a local motorcyclist got a ticket recently from an overzealous warden for not displaying the tax disc on the bike...before anyone asks where the warden placed the ticket on the bike, he pulled back the clutch lever and jammed the ticket in!
    I spoke to the biker afterwards, he said he got two tickets, one for no tax displayed and one for parking on the footpath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

vektarman wrote: »
    Carrying the disc might be fine as long as you don't park the bike on the street, a local motorcyclist got a ticket recently from an overzealous warden for not displaying the tax disc on the bike...before anyone asks where the warden placed the ticket on the bike, he pulled back the clutch lever and jammed the ticket in!
    I spoke to the biker afterwards, he said he got two tickets, one for no tax displayed and one for parking on the footpath.

This is why i asked,we have a warden in our area whos fairly badass.
    Got myself one of the good solid metal disc holders,its up about my front light

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mine is one of the plastic yokes on my reg. No problems so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

never had tax on a bike but i'm buying a new one and i will tax it.

If ever pulled and asked where my tax was i used to say the disc and holder was ripped off and point to any random bolt on the bike. i would be asked to produce tax in 10 days to station of choice. I would go on day 9 and tell the officer on duty that i was stopped but didnt have my license on me. the officer would take my name and noted that i showed up. would never hear a thing about it so i guess they dont always check properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,261 ✭✭✭Fabio

I carry mine in my licence pouch thing...never been stopped at a checkpoint though I came across one once and was simply waved through as they stopped cars!

You'll be fine OP if you have it on you but if you have a tax holder you may as well use it.

Advertisement