Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Film Permit

Options
  • 15-11-2008 11:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭

Hi Slightly off topic,
    Just wondering if you need a permit to shoot video (handheld) around Dublin (Grafton street, stephens green, etc...) and if so where / how do you apply for one?
    Cheers,
    Reece

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

You don't need a permit, anyone can film anything they like in a public place as long as you are not causing an obstruction (with tripods etc).

It's only larger productions that would need to notify the local council and the Gardai if they are working a set that would block a pathway or road.

You should have no problems with a little handycam, if the cops ask you any questions just say you are a student working on a filmmaking project for college.

Or just buy yourself a hideously bright pac-a-mac and pretend to be a tourist :D.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

sweet, will give it a try - will be using a canon XH A1 with merlin steadicam so hopefully won't arouse too much attention. Some of the filming will be in stephens green and I know that the park attendants can get a bit narky - will have to wear runners :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,258 ✭✭✭highdef

Will there be any chance of seeing some of the steadicam footage online? I have an XH-A1 as well and would love to see some city footage with a steadicam.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭reece

highdef wrote: »
    Will there be any chance of seeing some of the steadicam footage online? I have an XH-A1 as well and would love to see some city footage with a steadicam.

will post some footage to vimeo when it's done and let ya know. It's a practice run on the steadicam - I haven't had great results using it with the XM2 - but it takes alot more practice than I put in to date. You'd need to work-out the right arm as XH A1 weighs a ton on it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭film_gonzo

reece wrote: »
    sweet, will give it a try - will be using a canon XH A1 with merlin steadicam so hopefully won't arouse too much attention. Some of the filming will be in stephens green and I know that the park attendants can get a bit narky - will have to wear runners :D

Unless you have cleared it with the parks authority - who will ask for your insurance details - you will be cleared from Stephens Green. That said, I say go for it. If they stop you, they stop you and you leave. No harm, no foul.

Be careful about getting people's faces in shot also if you intend on the film being seen anywhere. All of those people that can be prominently seen will need to sign a release form or you could be buggered later on.

Best of luck.

• Advertisement
Advertisement