Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motivation in Winter...

• 15-11-2008 12:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭

Does anybody find it difficult to stay motivated with healthy eating during the Winter? I'm fine during the summer and have no problems eating salad for lunch, but I find at this time of year I just crave stodgy, comfort food. I'm especially at a loss for what to bring in for lunch, cold salad just doesn't ring my bell! I've been bringing in soup, but i'm going to get sick of that fairly shortly. Any advice?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 297 ✭✭Slaygal

Beans on toast is a great winter lunch and doesn't require culinary skills. Beans on toast are low in fat and they're very tasty. Sushi is another low fat option, filling and tasty.
    Pitta Breads are great filled with meat/salads or you can use chilli, bolganaise sauce or whatever your preference is, if you have access to microwave heat the filling and add to the toasted pitta. Baked potatoes with low fat cheese, lean meat or beans.

I don't eat bread or much wheat so most of my ideas are bread free. I hope I can give you a bit of help and inspiration :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,111 ✭✭✭peanuthead

What I sometimes do is cook chicken and veg up the night before and re-heat it the next day in work. Tasty!!

Also, if you have access to a microwave again, scrambled eggs or even an omlette. You can buy microwaveable omlette dishes in most kitchenware stores, bring in your eggs and ingredients (cook the chicken first if putting chicken in) bang it in the microwave, healthy and filling!!

beans is a good one alright, and spaghetti. You can put it together with wholegrain toast or even just add some cooked chicken to it to make it more substantial.

Another good one would be a tuna melt. You toast your bread, mix your tuna with a small amount of grated mozzarella cheese and whatever other ingredients you wanted ie: peppers, onions. Then microwave for a few seconds, then add to the toast.

The same can be done replacing chicken with tuna, or even replacing the toast with a bagel.

This is a topic that has been in my mind recently too, so as I think of more ideas ill post them up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Its the fact that I don't have time to go for a walk that annoys me no end! I finish work at 4, sometimes half 4 or 5, depends, on teaching placement so canbe kept working later quite often. By that time its started to get dark. And the beach doesn't have street lamps! lol
    Would walk around the town but its quite a rough area at night...dunno what to do?? Can't afford the gym and find the walking much more beneficial all round as being cooped up in the classroom all day is not good for the immune system!!

KateF wrote: »
    Its the fact that I don't have time to go for a walk that annoys me no end! I finish work at 4, sometimes half 4 or 5, depends, on teaching placement so canbe kept working later quite often. By that time its started to get dark. And the beach doesn't have street lamps! lol
    Would walk around the town but its quite a rough area at night...dunno what to do?? Can't afford the gym and find the walking much more beneficial all round as being cooped up in the classroom all day is not good for the immune system!!

Em...sorry, not to be rude, but what has this got to do with ideas for healthy meals to eat in the winter time?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

peanuthead wrote: »
    Em...sorry, not to be rude, but what has this got to do with ideas for healthy meals to eat in the winter time?????
    Eh sorry, I actually thought it was an all round healthy living forum. Sorry

• Advertisement

Well to answer your question anyway, would you think of maybe getting a bike? And if you got a couple of hand held weights you could keep in your room and could be using them while you're watching the tv.

Could you afford to pay the gym monthly? Some gyms are only about €50 a month, and if you think you will only use it at the weekends then you can probably get an off-peak membership for alot cheaper.

EDIT: What I meant by above comment was that I had thought maybe you had posted on the wrong thread, as what you were saying didnt fit in with the rest of the conversation. Doesnt matter though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 984 ✭✭✭cozmik

ncmc wrote: »
    Does anybody find it difficult to stay motivated with healthy eating during the Winter? I'm fine during the summer and have no problems eating salad for lunch, but I find at this time of year I just crave stodgy, comfort food.

Do you exercise?
    "Short bouts of physical activity can help to regulate how energised and pleasant we feel, but with a sedentary lifestyle we may naturally turn to mood-regulating behaviours such as eating chocolate."

http://www.smh.com.au/news/lifeandstyle/health/walk-away-from-chocolate-cravings/2008/11/13/1226318802665.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,852 ✭✭✭ncmc

Thank you for all the replies, some great ideas there, especially the omlette one, I would never thought of that!
    Do you exercise?

Yes, I walk twice daily (one of the benefits of having a dog - they don't understand the concept of 'I don't feel like it!)

KateF, it's awful when you feel you can't get out walking isn't it? Could you bring a pair of trainers to school and pop out for half an hour at lunch?

Advertisement