Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCAS

Options
  • 15-11-2008 12:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭

I don't understand the system. If I get so many points in the Leaving Cert, what does that translate to in UCAS terms?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭KateF

Signature wrote: »
    I don't understand the system. If I get so many points in the Leaving Cert, what does that translate to in UCAS terms?

Thanks.
    Doesn't go by points, goes by grades in subjects

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭Signature

KateF wrote: »

Thanks. :) So how exactly does that work?

http://www.ncca.ie/uploadedfiles/Publications/UCAS0204.pdf
    On pages 57-60, it seems to show how much ILC points are worth in UCAS points. (Page 58)

How do I find out the amount of UCAS points needed for a course?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

i think there are points but they're different.
    if you go onto the ucas website and go into course search, search for the one you want, select one of the courses and click entry profile, then other qualifications, scroll up and it has the irish leaving cert requirements.

kateos2 wrote: »
    i think there are points but they're different.
    if you go onto the ucas website and go into course search, search for the one you want, select one of the courses and click entry profile, then other qualifications, scroll up and it has the irish leaving cert requirements.

Thanks! That explains their 'points' system. :)

Now onto course types. :D

These are the listed course types I found (minus the Postgraduate and Nursing/Midwifery ones):

Cert HE
    Degree
    Dip HE
    Foundation Degree
    HNC
    HND
    Other

Does anyone know which of these are the best and which are the worst?

• Advertisement

Signature wrote: »
    Now onto course types. :D

These are the listed course types I found (minus the Postgraduate and Nursing/Midwifery ones):

Cert HE
    Degree
    Dip HE
    Foundation Degree
    HNC
    HND
    Other

Does anyone know which of these are the best and which are the worst?
    Well obviously degree is better than cert, dip and foundation degree. Don't know what HNC and HND are sorry, you could google it.
    And they don't work on a points system there, because they will require that you get a certain grade in a number of specific subjects. I did my degree in scotland and am now doing postgrad there so trust me on this one. When they say 'Irish Equivelant' they will refer to Higher and Ordinary level grades you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 howtobeknown

KateF wrote: »

It does go by points actually for irish students applying. an A1 is worth 90 points!! n the ucas website u can get the tariff points scheme.

Yeah, as Mr.S has said they really don't bother with the points. Why would they? If they need an A in biology, theyll just telly ou that in plain simple language, why would they bother going to the effort of working it out in a points system that the don't even use?! You'd be better off calling the uni's you are interested in, checking what grades you need in specific subjects. Why give your self all the extra stress??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 howtobeknown

cheers big ears!!! stupid the way they say that u need to get like 300 points and then they dont use that system is it not??

On another note, BANGOR?? is it any good any one hear or know of it??? social life?? etc

what,where,when,why,who, How?

Advertisement