Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WoW on a Linux laptop?

Options
  • 15-11-2008 1:59pm
    Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭

My nephew is a Wow fan and is getting this laptop for Christmas:
    http://www.laptopsdirect.ie/ACER_ASIRE_ONE_A150L_-_512MB_-_80GB_-_Blue_LU.S050A.105/version.asp

I know Wow runs on the Intel GMA 950 fine and I know the processor and RAM seem enough for minimum performance.(I used run wow flawlessly on an Celeron 1.3 and 512 ram)

What I'd like to know is it possible to get WoW running on Linux from WINE or some sort of emulator, or how easy is it to install windows if you already have the cd?

Could you just put the CD in the new laptop and it installs there and then like magic windows installs?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

http://www.wowwiki.com/Wine_(software)

Haven't had to try it myself personally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

im pretty sure macros42 runs wow on a linux distro, not wure which one though. Maybe he can shed some light?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I play in Ubuntu - works fine under Wine - including updates. When you install it go to the Config.wtf file (/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/ and change the DirectX reference to OpenGL.
    There's a problem with Wrath tho - whatever stupid disc format they used on the DVD isn't readable by Linux. You'll either need to copy the files across from a Windows box or torrent it.

Another problem with Wrath. In the stable version of Wine (1.01) there's a bug with the HTML rendering so that you can't press the Agree button on the EULA! And you can't continue without agreeing.

You'll need to install the development version which has fixed. If you have the standard version of Wine install - remove it. Then follow the distro specific instructions here to get the latest dev version (currently 1.1.8).

One final thing - and this applies to any OS - if you're doing a fresh install (which I am currently), and you can afford a 6Gb download - then get the client download from www.wow-europe.com (in Account Management section). Just install Wrath and it installs all the prior content too - much handier that installing vanilla, TBC and Wrath one after the other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

I bought the kids an EEebox (same GMA 950 onboard gfx) and it runs Wow, although it has to be said it runs it badly even with all settings on low and an 800x600 resolution. I couldn't bare to play on it now really but it's grand for the kids.

I just copied the whole directory across the wireless network at home to the EEebox from my own PC and that was an awful lot of hassles solved right there.

Nekaxak - change the video to OpenGL in the config.wtf file - it'll improve video dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Macros42 wrote: »
    Nekaxak - change the video to OpenGL in the config.wtf file - it'll improve video dramatically.

Cheers mate, yeah I'd forgotten all about that as an option, must try it later on this evening when I get home and you're right, it should improve things an awful lot.

Used to run Wow on Linux on my own PC for a longtime through wine and the other one, crossover or something it was called but you had to pay for that application. Used to run Mandrake/Mandriva Linux and now dual boot OpenSUSE and Vista, never really got a liking for Ubuntu.

Crossover or Cedega - they're commercial forks of Wine. Same basic code but Wine is free :)

Advertisement