Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too LOUD intercom, Help pls

Options
  • 15-11-2008 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭

Hi, my flat has a Urmet intercom system in it. Its buzzer is too loud. Its an old system, it looks like a bell wire system to me. I've opened it up and the only speaker I can find is in the handset.

I have placed tissue around the speaker to try and lessen the sound but to no avail. Where the copper wire coil thing is, I have placed more tissue (just now) to see if the metal doesn't connect fully the buzz may be lessened? I know if I block this connection fully there will be no contact made and therefore no buzz at all.

Any ideas? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭fishdog

1st make sure that the speaker is used for the buzzer! Perhaps you can hold the speaker while someone presses the intercom to be sure.

If so the more current the speaker gets, the louder it will sound. Therefore a variable resistor (known as a "pot") could be soldered in series with the speaker. Adjusting the pot should adjust will adjust the volume. Ensure that the pot is correctly rated for the application, i.e. make sure that it can take the current and voltage of the circuit it is installed in.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭sedohre

Thanks fishdog, I'll try to see if it's the only speaker first. I've never soldered so I'm not confident with that but maybe I'll try.

Could there be any other way? Easier way?

Advertisement