Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

More Drum Sensitivity Bull****

Options
  • 15-11-2008 2:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭

So pissed off right now. You think after EA's rock band EL drum debacle last year, Activision might have thought "Wow... we want to avoid anything like that happening" and test their bloody drum kits for any production flaws.

But ooooh no.

Cymbals are barely registering hits, and apparently its a common issue. They've released a Sensitivity Tuning App for Windows which can be downloaded here, but you need a USB-MIDI cable to use it. Which you can order for free, as long as you live anywhere but Europe. Shocker.

Anyone else having trouble?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

Yes and yes. Guitar was broken out of the box, and as for the drums....

Have to smash the cymbals for a response, playing above medium (with more frequent notes) is hit and miss (doesnt register every note in a fast roll).

And its very unsteady. Have you tried the sensitivity mod, am thinking about spending some time at it later

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If I can get a USB-MIDI cable for less than €20, I'll just pick one up. I'll let you know how I get on. Let me know how you get on with the sensitivity mod. I've seen one for the main pads, but not for cymbals.

Better do my homework before I go at it, I'm just going by a youtube video for now (for the manual mod)

Good stuff, elfa.

Check this one out. I might try this tonight before buying the cable.

Are the cables expensive?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

efla wrote: »
    Are the cables expensive?

I assume it's something like this: http://www.thomann.de/ie/swissonic_midiusb_1x1.htm Which you should be able to pick up in any music shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Cully

Typical... this is why I didn't buy GH:WT cos I knew that being their first drum game there might be issues...

And beside.. I'm already annoyed enough with fighting with my RB set, so I'm going to get an electronic kit and sort it so that it works on it's own, with GH:WT and with RB.

Yeah it's expensive, but at least I know it'll last and I can learn a real skill (drumming), save me some space with only one set of drums, and possibly some cash on future games :/

Thomann is good but can take forever to ship...

$17 with free shipping on DealExtreme.

Yellow cymbal now completely dead. I tried the tape mod above, but it didn't work.

Its going back to gamestop this afternoon. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Cully wrote: »
    Thomann is good but can take forever to ship...

My mum ordered an electronic drum kit from them about a month ago and it arrived in 5 days.

• Advertisement

NotorietyH wrote: »
    My mum ordered an electronic drum kit from them about a month ago and it arrived in 5 days.

The key word I used is "can take".

Yes.. normally shipping is fine, but if you look up on the internet, you'll find a lot of people complaining about the ship times for some things.. or maybe if it's when they don't have stuff on stock.

EDIT: I'm sick of drum sensitivity, so I actually bought an electronic drumkit at lunchtime today :D

Nice one Cully... what did you pay for it? (Do I want to know? :))

As for my drum kit debacle, they only had enough stock to cover pre-orders, so I have to wait until the end of the week. They also need the full BIAB (not just the drums) which is a pain in the ass. Why is it always harder to pack stuff back in that box than take it out? I can't figure out how it should be packed up properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jordananderson

Hi Guys,

i've been having problems with the orange cymbal registering when the yellow is struck specificly on Hotel California but the link below (although for the uk) will send you a midi to USB lead.

i'll let you know when i get mine / if i dont get mine. if not i'll be back up to place of purchase pronto.....

anyone else try ordering it from redoctane?

http://www.redoctanegames.com/Warranty/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Mr E wrote: »
    As for my drum kit debacle, they only had enough stock to cover pre-orders, so I have to wait until the end of the week. They also need the full BIAB (not just the drums) which is a pain in the ass. Why is it always harder to pack stuff back in that box than take it out? I can't figure out how it should be packed up properly.

I've had this experience from having to drag an RB BIAB up to The Square twice already, and they (GAME) really don't care how the stuff is packed, so long as everything is there.

I don't know about GHWT, but RB is so precisely packed when you get it that there's absolutely no hope for you to put it all back in the same way.

anyone else try ordering it from redoctane

First place I looked on Sunday, Jordan. I already knew that Red Octane had released a sensitivity program, so it was the first thing I looked up. I was hoping it would be wireless, but no such luck. Ideally it should have been built into the configuration screen in GHWT itself, not a poxy windows program.

Anyway, as you've probably noticed, there is no warranty site for Europe (just UK). On the UK site, you have nowhere to enter a country.

Anyway, I don't think its a sensitivity issue any more - the yellow cymbal is completely dead.

Its going back on Friday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 jordananderson

I ended up ringing where i bought it and asked if i cold exchange it. after explaining what was going on I was told to bring up the drum kit for a new one. so can't really complain. hope i still get the lead though.....:)

Still waiting for gamestop to get more sets in. Tuesday is the next day they've given me. :rolleyes:

For those who got GHWT drums, the European Warranty Site is now up, and you can order a USB-Midi cable for adjusting drum sensitivity.

http://www.redoctanegames.com/Warranty/Europe/

Its free - you just need your address and the serial number for the drums.

Ordered. Now just need to bring back the broken guitar.....

Just an update on this. Gamestop finally told me that they can't take the drumset back. They told me to use Red Octane warranty site to report my fault and RMA the yellow cymbal. Balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Got the drum midi cable from red ocatane in the post today to adjust the drums sensitivity.
    Works fairly well.
    My drums were pretty ok though, didnt have much trouble with them. The red pad needed to be a little more sensitive but thats about it.
    Any one else get the cable?

• Advertisement

Should get it this week. I ordered it as soon as the European Warranty site was up and running. Not much use without a working yellow cymbal though. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

slayerking wrote: »
    Got the drum midi cable from red ocatane in the post today to adjust the drums sensitivity.
    Works fairly well.
    My drums were pretty ok though, didnt have much trouble with them. The red pad needed to be a little more sensitive but thats about it.
    Any one else get the cable?

yah,mine came today

Yeah I got it yesterday too.

I just got an email from Red Octane to say that my new yellow cymbal has been shipped. Doesn't look like they want the old one back (which is just as well, since I opened it up several hundred times, removed the glue and resoldered the connections) :)

Got mine yesterday,

Fixed the pads up nice, but the cymbals are still off.

Hitting the red one triggers the yellow at a sensitivity above 15, which is the area I wanted it to be in to be able to play without breaking the thing.

Very disappointed with the kit so far

Got my yellow cymbal today, and spent a bit of time on the tuning kit to get the sensitivity fine-tuned. Sorted now and its working perfectly. They didn't want the old cymbal back either - they just sent a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭V9

I got my cable today, hooked it up, went into the music creator to mess about, nothing, the green one has stopped working now too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

I got the cable today AGAIN!!!!
    They sent me it twice!! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Leprachaun

efla wrote: »
    Ordered. Now just need to bring back the broken guitar.....
    Can you swap guitars in the shop you bought it in or do you need to fill in the warranty at the redoctane site?

They offered me an exchange in store, but have since said I need to go through red octane.

Havent had time to do anything about it let, let us know how you get on?

• Advertisement

Whether they take it back or not depends on the shop.

Gamestop seem to say "go to redoctane", which I think is crap because if they sold you a faulty item, they should take it back no question. It's part of your rights according to the national consumer agency.
    Goods (including those bought in a sale) must:
    • fit the description given.
    • be fit for their purpose.
    • be of a quality fit for sale.
    • match any sample shown.
    • have the full retail price clearly displayed.

If not, the law says the retailer must fix the problem.

You are entitled to:
    • Have repaired, replaced or refunded, any goods that turn out to be faulty or wrongly described.
    • go to the small claims court if you are not happy with the retailer's response.

For more info about your consumer rights, visit www.consumerconnect.ie or LoCall 1890 432 432.

Argos or Tesco take the faulty item back without any questions.

Advertisement