Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Voluntary Removal from voting register

Options
  • 15-11-2008 2:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Does anyone know if its possible to remove yourself from the voting register ?

I dont want to take part and want to avoid the junk mail. Govt websites have lots of information how to get on the register but no info on how to get off the register. Anyone ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,466 ✭✭✭✭Alun

You can choose to be on the register, but not to have your details passed on to 3rd parties.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

Alun wrote: »
    You can choose to be on the register, but not to have your details passed on to 3rd parties.

Do you have to specifically request that your details arent passed on to a third party?

And OP, thats a though one. I tried in vain to have myself ex-communicated from the Catholic Church. Alas I am still "one of the flock".

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Caoimhín wrote: »
    Do you have to specifically request that your details arent passed on to a third party?

And OP, thats a though one. I tried in vain to have myself ex-communicated from the Catholic Church. Alas I am still "one of the flock".

Try ordaining a few priests. that should do it.

anyway, surely they have a mechanism in place for people who are leaving the country. citizens information should be able to help you out.

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

hey op just lifted this off the citizens info website

The Electoral Register and direct marketing

Local authorities publish two versions of the Register of Electors: the full register and the edited register.

The Full Register lists everyone who is entitled to vote. Once a Full Register has been published, it can only be used for an electoral or other statutory purpose.

The Edited Register contains the names and addresses of those voters who have indicated that their details can be used for other purposes (for example, for direct marketing use by a commercial company or other organisation).

If you do not want your details to be included in the Edited Register, you should tick the "opt out" box. If you want your details to be included in the Edited Register, that is, you are happy that commercial companies and other organisations will contact you with direct marketing, you should leave the "opt out" box blank.

If you do not tick the "opt out" box, it is assumed that you want your details to be included in the Edited Register, if you do not wish your details to appear on the Edited Register tick the "opt out" box.

It is an offence for an organisation/commercial body to contact someone from the full electoral register for direct marketing purposes. This was set down in law under Section 32 of the Electoral (Amendment) Act, 2001. Read more about how to deal with unsolicited direct marketing material in Ireland here .

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/government-in-ireland/elections-and-referenda/voting/registering-to-vote/?searchterm=voting%20register

hope its a help.

as for removal as far as I know after a while if you haven't voted and don't respond to letters they send out they automatically remove you from the list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jtb

podge79 wrote: »
    hey op just lifted this off the citizens info website

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/government-in-ireland/elections-and-referenda/voting/registering-to-vote/?searchterm=voting%20register

hope its a help.

as for removal as far as I know after a while if you haven't voted and don't respond to letters they send out they automatically remove you from the list.

I have tried the non-voting thing and Im still on the register. Getting annoying at this stage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭bushy...

Caoimhín wrote: »

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055184468&highlight=defect
    http://www.atheistactivist.org/Defect.html

• Registered Users Posts: 8,833 ✭✭✭SeanW

Yes, normal register lets you vote, edited register lets all the slimeballs annoy you (eeh... Direct Marketing companies contact you)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Just don't renew yourself on the register, its up this month so you can fall off with a non-return?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vote09ireland

The Point has been made about the Edited register which can be used for marketing purposes ( same applies to Seanad register)

I don't think not voting will get you off the register sadly. they would be loath to do it as it would smack off getting rid of the right to vote or worse still getting rid of opponents which would be a machiavellian no no

I just checked on checktheregister.ie on the page where your details are given (click on your name) their is an email address to change your details If you want to be on the Edited register it should state YES.

E-mail them to say that you do not want your name on the edited register our query why you are getting marketting crap and hopefully they should sort it out

With European and Local elections next year I would advice you to stay on the register

On a legal point if you send them a message (the people sending you a Letter or junk) stating you do not want them to send you stuff and want them to remove your information they are obligued to do so

Hope that helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 jtb

Thanks for the info. I did know the edited register was supposed (and I use that term loosely) to mean no junk mail. However junk mail isnt my biggest issue.

I just dont want to be on the register full stop. I dont want to take part. I dont think my vote matters and I dont want to have anything to do with politics. I would be happier if I didnt hear or see anything about voting.

The Local and European elections are pretty much a non-event. I dont intend to vote in any case ....

I think the lack of a simple way to get off the register is a major flaw with the system, but hey I dont vote so I dont have a right to complain :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭podge79

I don't think not voting will get you off the register sadly. they would be loath to do it as it would smack off getting rid of the right to vote or worse still getting rid of opponents which would be a machiavellian no no

I should have said that in my own experience I have been removed from the register because I hadn't voted in a few elections/referendums due to college and work... never got around to moving my vote from home and owing to the habit of elections been held during week I would never get home to vote in time unless I took half days off work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Vote09ireland

College students have problems with voting because they can't register in different places (ie college and home). This is unlike the census where a person can be register in two places (I was usually resident in cork but living at present in Waterford for example).
    It could be done before that a person could get registered twice but vote once but it led to abuse

If you do not vote it is likely you will be taken off it I guess but as i said I don't think it's an actual policy more an administrative decision

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭limklad

jtb wrote: »
    Does anyone know if its possible to remove yourself from the voting register ?

I dont want to take part and want to avoid the junk mail. Govt websites have lots of information how to get on the register but no info on how to get off the register. Anyone ?
    You can yourself removed from the edited electoral register. The edit one is different from the Actual "electoral register" which organisations cannot use by law to send you plagues of unwanted mail. They can only use edited electoral register. Contact your local authority (councils) to get you removed from the edited register. You will have to sign a form to be removed from it.

Advertisement