Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foxes Roaming Around the Suburbs

Options
  • 15-11-2008 3:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,296 ✭✭✭

They really are a pest. I have a dog in the house but I could almost not allow her into the garden at night for fear of a fox attacking her.
    I have heard stories of house pets being eaten by foxes. Is there nothing that can be done to exterminate or move these foxes?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

I had foxes in my garden and in the surrounding neighbours gardens in Dundrum. They didn't appear to cause any harm to anyone. Anyone I knew actually enjoyed having them about. If your having problems with them in your garden, I'd suggest strengthing your fence etc to keep them out. Theres no need to go exterminating them though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

BrightEyes wrote: »
    They really are a pest. I have a dog in the house but I could almost not allow her into the garden at night for fear of a fox attacking her.
    I have heard stories of house pets being eaten by foxes. Is there nothing that can be done to exterminate or move these foxes?

Are you serious?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I have a dog in the house but I could almost not allow her into the garden at night for fear of a fox attacking her.

What??

Are you sure it's a dog you have...
    panda_dog_008.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Why are they a pest? They are an amazing creature. Foxes won't go anywhere near your dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

oh dear :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

LOL. Have you seen a fox up close? I doubt they would even try and fight a dog, or even a large cat, let alone eat them. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

I seen one walk across the Finglas road just before lidl at 4 in the morning. I was about 10 feet away from it and it did not even look. First time I seen one that was not flattened on the road. I never heard of them eating pet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,523 ✭✭✭✭Nerin

What stories op?
    The foxes around here come into our garden alot,the vixen distracts our dog,and the dog fox eats his dinner. This is usually how they act.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,531 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,494 ✭✭✭ronbyrne2005

I sometimes cycle by St Annes park at night and see several foxes most time along coast road , they chase the birds on bull island and raid the bins along the coastal walking path. Harmless feckers unless you have a rabbit or something. One night a fox and badger came out of the park at clontarf at same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

City foxes are not near as common now as they were years ago due to the introduction of wheelie bins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭chris d

foxes rule

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

City foxes are not near as common now as they were years ago due to the introduction of wheelie bins.

I have always wondered about that one, I know the theory behind it, but where do people come up with the facts to back it up? Is there some sort of Irish Times /TNS mrbi poll for the foxes? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

You want to exterminate foxes because you have an irrational fear they'll attack your dog?

Wow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭cork1

its simple you leave them alone and they will leave you alone and if you try to exterminate them then you deserve what you get!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Is there nothing that can be done to exterminate or move these pets?
    There, I've fixed that for you! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

There's a family of foxes 3 (I think) who live in Dublin 8, live in Scoil Teresa. Remember walking up my road with a few beverages and 2 fecking foxes on the road.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

I think I saw a fox when I driving along the quay by the IFSC - near the Sean O'Casey bridge last year around 12 at night. Could that have been possible? I didnt think there would be any foxes that central.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I regularly see 5-10 walking home from the nitelink in my area. They be everywhere!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

I've seen foxes just inside the railings beside the Luas stop on St. Stephen's Green and also in Iveagh Gardens just off Harcourt St.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭DennisSabre

Nitelink, Luas...... maybe they have free travel passes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Used to see them on Cowper Road in Rathmines all the time.
    One night a fox and badger came out of the park at clontarf at same time.

Saw a good program on Badgers - in England - the other night. They seem to co-exist with foxes quite peacefully.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,492 ✭✭✭MementoMori

Man seems like they are eveywhere

*I for one welcome our new fox overlords*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,121 ✭✭✭amcalester

Once when I was living with the folk I let the dog out the front at about 5 in the AM to do his business but there was a fox in the garden, one look at my little King Charles Spaniel and the fox was gone. So unless your dog looks like a chicken or rabbit I dont think you've much to fear.

I live in London where foxes are classed as a pest, there's roughly 10000 of them in the Greater London Area and there are Fox Exterminators that shoot them. fuc/<ing disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

I've seen foxes just inside the railings beside the Luas stop on St. Stephen's Green and also in Iveagh Gardens just off Harcourt St.

Seriously? That's very interesting, I wonder where they came from. Think they actually travelled through several miles of suburbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,056 ✭✭✭Tragedy

I'd say they have dens in disused/abandoned homes+gardens or in wasteland around commercial areas. There's plenty of both around stephens green.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭jdivision

Zillah wrote: »
    Seriously? That's very interesting, I wonder where they came from. Think they actually travelled through several miles of suburbs?
    There's a family of them that live on a wall near the Clonmel Street entrance to the Iveagh Gardens. They raise a few cubs there last year. They walk the wall into the park and into the bins and so on in the office buildings on the Harcourt St side.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

I think the OP may be confusing foxes with wolves... or possibly lions.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,945 ✭✭✭trout

I regularly see foxes in Lansdowne Road Dart station, nipping across the tracks at night, especially at the top end of the platforms, near the bridge over the Dodder.

Maybe I'm reading into it ... but they look very scrawny this year. :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 1,849 Mod ✭✭✭✭Michael Collins

Zillah wrote: »

They probably burrowed in, you know foxes.

Advertisement