Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

FM104 and the overuse of jingles

• 15-11-2008 3:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭

Why oh why does the weekend breakfast presenter on FM104 insist on the need to overplay the jingles time and time again. I mean, three jingles at the start of a song is way OTT and very annoying to boot!

And what is the whole deal with linking, playing a jingle in the middle of your link and linking out the other side of it? Did this style of 'hot jock' presenting not go out in the 80's with Smashy and Nicey?!

Rant over. It is just a pet hate of mine, this old style format and overuse of jingles, which I am sure would make them sound very stale quite quickly.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Walshie

I looks like you're up way too early on Saturdays !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭MaltHouse Mouse

Walshie wrote: »
    I looks like you're up way too early on Saturdays !

If only children and jobs were 9 to 5!!! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It's not the presenter playing the jingles is it? they are programmed into the system are they not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Culture2007

The Muppet wrote: »
    It's not the presenter playing the jingles is it? they are programmed into the system are they not?

No, all liners and jingles are manually played by the presenter. FM104 don't have an automated playout system.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭Enda Caldwell

Why oh why does the weekend breakfast presenter on FM104 insist on the need to overplay the jingles time and time again. I mean, three jingles at the start of a song is way OTT and very annoying to boot!

And what is the whole deal with linking, playing a jingle in the middle of your link and linking out the other side of it? Did this style of 'hot jock' presenting not go out in the 80's with Smashy and Nicey?!

Rant over. It is just a pet hate of mine, this old style format and overuse of jingles, which I am sure would make them sound very stale quite quickly.

Oh dear! Smashey and Nicey were great... LET'S ROCK!

Go Eamo!! Play 5 jingles in a row!!

Have you never heard the phrase..... "let's have a jingle-run" before? lol

The best ever was when BBC Radio One used fire up the FM transmitter network very early in the morning in the late 80's .. they would play about 15 minutes of those brilliant jam jingles!!! and then the pips!!!! Legendary!!

NRG 103 used play LOADS of jingles and NOVA did too..

Radio has become way too formatted and stale since then and when someone does something different they get shot down for it.

The reason you are actually highlighting this is because it stands out.. (and we all know that in radio nowadays what happens when you stand out and do something different children don't we?)

And, as pointed out, these are LINERS you are talking about, not jingles, jingles are the sung ones, LINERS are LINERS and JINGLES are JINGLES!

I am sure there is a specific reason why they are played, and that is that!

As I seem to recall there are different competitions and quizzes on that show that are pre-produced and therefore there may be some liners used in that sequence. OR maybe the jock was just having the crack on the air, sure GOD forbid that he might do that!

If Chris Moyles did a jingle run there would most likely be a post applauding him, and encouraging his copycats in Ireland to do the exact same thing, the very next day!

K-I-S-S .... oops ! Thanks to Paul Milne of Kiss 106 for that accidental copy of Cathy Dennis by the way.. why on earth they put an ident in the middle of a track I'll never know! I honestly thought it was a clean copy! lol

It's only radio folks, NOT brainsurgery!:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

The reason you are actually highlighting this is because it stands out.. (and we all know that in radio nowadays what happens when you stand out and do something different children don't we?)

!:cool:

Yes, people reward you for it (unless its done badly). Thats why Ray Foley has been doing so well on daytime. Its why Rick O Shea has gone up in the figures again, and its why Marian Finucane is the best thing to listen to on the weekends.

Manimal wrote: »
    Yes, people reward you for it (unless its done badly). Thats why Ray Foley has been doing so well on daytime. Its why Rick O Shea has gone up in the figures again, and its why Marian Finucane is the best thing to listen to on the weekends.

They are all talk shows you are on about, I meant music shows.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

They are all talk shows you are on about, I meant music shows.

Enda, Ray and Ricks shows are not 'talk shows' as you call them. They may feature a lot of speech but they're not talk based.

Manimal wrote: »
    Enda, Ray and Ricks shows are not 'talk shows' as you call them. They may feature a lot of speech but they're not talk based.

Really? lol

Advertisement