Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Weather station for Westport: need how-to advice.

Options
  • 15-11-2008 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭

Ahhh Winter. Makes me think about getting a weather station every time. Well, let's say it's time. Out here by the wild Atlantic (as it often is) it would be splendid to be able to provide data to the Irish Weather Network.

But what's the best way to do it? Out here we're fairly exposed so our data should be good... from what I've read it seems that because of that a higher-spec'ed station would be better than a lower one. Evidently this is the Davis Vantage Pro 2. Do you experts concur?

I am of two minds about a wireless v. wired station. Wouldn't wired be better in terms of not needing batteries? I would probably install the software on an Apple Cube running Mac OS 10.4.11; it runs 24/7. ESB has done a pretty good job about re-stringing rural Mayo, though of course the power does go out sometimes. Would a data logger be necessary? Is that a separate piece of hardware? (It's really not all that easy to find out this stuff.)

I'd be OK with uploading the data to the internet; what sort of interface software is there? I noticed that most of the members of the Irish Weather Network have their own sites—but they all seem to have different display software on those sites. What's best? Where does it all come from? Will the Irish Weather Network get its feed from my website or is it updated directly, or...?

Are any of you running your stations using the Mac OS? Or are you using Windows or Linux?

Reading through some of the threads shows a lot of expertise out there... but it's hard to understand as it's not put in terms that make it easier for beginners.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Yoda wrote: »
    Ahhh Winter. Makes me think about getting a weather station every time. Well, let's say it's time. Out here by the wild Atlantic (as it often is) it would be splendid to be able to provide data to the Irish Weather Network.

But what's the best way to do it? Out here we're fairly exposed so our data should be good... from what I've read it seems that because of that a higher-spec'ed station would be better than a lower one. Evidently this is the Davis Vantage Pro 2. Do you experts concur?
    VP2 would be but there is other high spec stations out there WMR Oregon stations are very good too. It's what your willing to spend.
    I am of two minds about a wireless v. wired station. Wouldn't wired be better in terms of not needing batteries?
    I change batts once a year and use the wireless also. It be your preference as the two do the same job but the 24hr FARS on VP2 does not run from the mains, only wireless if ever you went that route.
    ESB has done a pretty good job about re-stringing rural Mayo, though of course the power does go out sometimes. Would a data logger be necessary?
    If power is to go out, then a logger is needed for storing data.
    Is that a separate piece of hardware? (It's really not all that easy to find out this stuff.)
    Yes, it fits into the back of the VP2 console but some other console's have a logger built in.
    I'd be OK with uploading the data to the internet; what sort of interface software is there?There are many third party software in use out there. I noticed that most of the members of the Irish Weather Network have their own sites—but they all seem to have different display software on those sites. What's best? Where does it all come from?
    Yes you need your own website for the network.There are many third party software programs out there, some are free while some you pay for. I use Weather Display as there is many features and add-ons for your station software and extras using the data from your station that it can incorporate in.
    Will the Irish Weather Network get its feed from my website or is it updated directly, or...?
    Depending on what software program you use, Ambient's VWS( Virtual Weather Software), Weatherlink (which come's with the datalogger) or the clientraw.txt file that is automatically written when using this weather display. The clientraw file allows the use of your stations current weather condition icon for the map and not the closest METAR which could be miles away reporting something completely different. Also when using the clientraw file, no other user action is needed. I do the rest. More info here
    Are any of you running your stations using the Mac OS? Or are you using Windows or Linux?
    I'm using Win XP home and Win Vista Home on the lappy. Don't know about anyones else's OS or other.
    Reading through some of the threads shows a lot of expertise out there... but it's hard to understand as it's not put in terms that make it easier for beginners.
    Ask away here, there are several of us that use different types of station and software, something can be to your likin and that someone can give you hands on help for that specific station/software.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

I have the VP2 Wireless here also. The data logger is an optional seperate purchase, but well well worth it.
    The website can be set up free of charge - I use www.athost.net - hardly any adverts on it - see my website http://durrow.athost.net
    The VP2 comes with Weatherlink software included and is sufficient enough to upload data. I use it for the site.

So basically - if you are to go the VP2 route you need:

- VP2 Station
    - data logger
    - free athost website
    - basic PC to run 24 hours a day (if you want your website to be live)
    - broadband connection (best for your website to be live)

You will get away with dial-up but phone bill will be expensive if you plan to keep your data live on the site.
    My broadband allows me to update the web page every 5 minutes.

There (AFAIK) is a datalogger IP which eliminates the need for a PC and will update your website, but needs broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭Yoda

Broadband and a 24-hour computer and webspace are no problem for me. What I'm wrestling with is which station to buy, particularly in terms of being compatible with the Mac OS.

Any of you using Macs?

Nope, I use WinXP Pro.

Well, it looks as though there is some decent Mac software out there. I'll look into the VP2 then. And be the first Mac on the IWN?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

Davis VP2/Weatherlink(logger) works with Mac OS. here

Sorry lads, looking back over my earlier post it seems that I indicated that the datalogger wouldn't work with MacOS. I just said nope to the question about who uses MacOS. :D:D:D

Sorry for any confusion!

Economic downturn had me depressed for a while but with the winter storms we had recently plus the plunge of the pound I'm shopping again.

Would like to know... where does one attach the device to the house? What's best? Where I live I have Clew Bay out the front door and Croagh Patrick out the back. Right up on the chimney? A side of the house exposed to the Atlantic rather than sheltered from it?

The price of the wireless v. the wired versions is very slim... I'd like to have the device talk to the Macintosh Cube we use in the guest room as a print server, and have that upload the data to the internet. Wired or wireless should suit... though if it were on the chimney I wonder how well the wireless would get through the attic and first floor to the ground floor guest room.

Advice?

In my experience of radio signals,they travel better when the receiver is below them than above them.
    It has been quite some time since I researched Davis equipment [I own and operate a vantage pro 2 for the last number of years] but in theory you should be able to cable the wind vain from your chimney if you want.

The wireless signal from my davis is reaching this room from a few hundred metres away from the house and then through 3 walls so I shouldnt imagine you will have issues.
    Sometimes athmospheric conditions can affect my signal but thats rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

I live in an old stonewall house - the walls are literally about 4 feet thick and my Davis receiver still gets the signal fine.

Be careful with chimney locations -

1) It gets hot there - plastic might melt
    2) The wind will have a roof bounce affect so direction and speed will not be very accurate

You live in a brilliant location, I'd love to see your station stats online (if you do get it set up please sign up to the IRLWN - see the forum sticky).

Wired or wireless?, for me it depends on the software and the location, I think if the sample rate is higher over wire i'd go with that if not wireless all the way.
    Another consideration is battery life, If your station is wired you probably don't need batteries (open to correction here) on wireless you do. i know for a fact that my fan batteries are dead - i covered the solar cells with my hand and the fan stopped which it shouldn't do if the batteries were working so in still night time conditions I'm going to get a big lag in the outside temperature.
    Wired is more hassle initially but i think if the sample rate is the same its worthwhile as your figures are more accurate as a result.

Hope you do get setup Yoda, you live in a brilliant place (weather wise at least) and would love to see your station stats.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
Advertisement