Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End of November/start of December Forecast

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

I listened to the 7.55am forecast on RTE1 radio this morning and loose mention was made of sleet and snow for next weekend. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Kippure

Still looking good for some wintery weather for the weekend. A bit of a ramp from the forecast this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

ECM this evening looking good for the east this weekend. Must be noted that the cold air is moving further east with each updated run as so often happens. Lets hope it stays put where it is right now.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Supercell wrote: »
    ECM this evening looking good for the east this weekend. Must be noted that the cold air is moving further east with each updated run as so often happens. Lets hope it stays put where it is right now.

Are we just gonna see weather though like today? 4 or 5c, lashing rain with a biting easterly wind?

arctictree wrote: »
    Are we just gonna see weather though like today? 4 or 5c, lashing rain with a biting easterly wind?

You and I?..not if the charts stay like they are....but its a long way yet, fascinating to watch though.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Possible south coast frontal snow for the wee hours of Saturday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Can someone start a new thread for this weekend??

What is now showing in the charts could deliver Ireland's snowiest couple of days for decades!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,851 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

THURSDAY will bring a spell of persistent and heavy rain to many areas for a time and it will be windy with strong southwest winds. The rain will clear eastwards to much colder weather with occasional showers later in the day and winds will veer westerly and decrease. THURSDAY NIGHT will be cold with frost and a danger of some icy roads and there will be clear periods and scattered showers, some of the showers turning wintry on higher ground. FRIDAY will be cold and bright with sunny spells and scattered rain and hail showers, some of the showers may turn wintry in places.

may turn wintry is simply not good enough. that must be a Gerry Murphy forecast:pac:

I trust Evelyn or the Eagle will have a more favourable forecast in the coming days:D

Can someone start a new thread for this weekend??

What is now showing in the charts could deliver Ireland's snowiest couple of days for decades!

Best leave it till Thursday night me thinks, still twelve outputs to go before we can be sure. Last week looked like the weekend just gone would deliver, but look how that turned out. My 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ummmmmmmmmmm interesting

Rtavn1021.png

Rtavn10217.png

And wouldn't ya know it im working 5-midnight on Friday!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭danni2

Certainly looks very cold as we head for the weekend, but will there be much precipitation about on friday and saturday??

Low pressure all around us. A centre to the south looks well organised.

if that comes off the south east could be business. i was too optimistic last night. the best we'll get on thursday night is hail and perhaps some sleet.

Hopefully I won't be too far inland to benifet.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,033 ✭✭✭Snowbie

I would actually say interesting because of really cold air just sliding to our west and is coming closer to our shores nearly on every run.
    Height is good with 524 DAM thickness generally but 850mb temps are on the mildish side at -5C C. The air at lower levels is modified and air is sourced from the SE or S rather than the north.

Looking at 18Z would suggest 300M and for snow to settle but would not say 18Z is a snow event atm. But what makes this interesting is if the LP to the south moves more east into France and allows the fronts to move up from the south and clashing with some cold air which can now move down from the north, the midlands could see some snow with mtns of the east most at risk.

Unfortunately there is no residual cold or cold in place for lower levels and will almost have to rely on the undercutting of the arctic air to turn precip to snow. This is why i say mtns is at risk.
    This is worth watching as next few runs will paint a better picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Some stonking charts this morning, we could be on the cusp of something big methinks.

Keep up the faith for we could be rewarded:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭hawkwing

"Very cold through Saturday also, some scattered wintry showers in places but dry in many areas, however a band of heavy rain and sleet will affect eastern areas later in the day with some snow possible in places.":cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

hawkwing wrote: »
    "Very cold through Saturday also, some scattered wintry showers in places but dry in many areas, however a band of heavy rain and sleet will affect eastern areas later in the day with some snow possible in places.":cool:

That's Met Eireann's equivalent of covering their rear end. This weekends situation must be a nightmare for forecasters. I will speculate that those who are expecting wintry i.e snowy weather will not get it and those who don't expect, will get it.

Naturally, I don't expect any ;)

My own forecast for this area wll autorun at about 1120 and will have the 06Z updated GFS in it here It has Saturday included now and the weather graphic at the end of the page showing the 850mb temps and thickness.

Will i stay at home or do i travel to the mtns. We shall see. Supercell watch this space.;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 Emilioooooo

The evenings are bet!!!!

• Advertisement

Snowbie wrote: »

Will i stay at home or do i travel to the mtns. We shall see. Supercell watch this space.;):D

Be sure to bring adequate meteorological equipment with you*

*Beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭arctictree

Saturday looks like the day to watch from the latest GFS:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn961.png

Hopefully this will stay as is for the next few days. We could be in for a front coming up from the south east hitting cold air to the North and bingo....
    Would have more chance of snow though if this occurred at night.

A

arctictree wrote: »
    Saturday looks like the day to watch from the latest GFS:

http://www.wetterzentrale.de/pics/Rtavn961.png

Hopefully this will stay as is for the next few days. We could be in for a front coming up from the south east hitting cold air to the North and bingo....
    Would have more chance of snow though if this occurred at night.

A

This happened here in October..it started late morning..

october_291008_snow_annamoe14.sized.jpg

These systems make their own weather, if its going to happen i wouldn't be too concerned about the time of day to be honest.

Theres plenty of snow on lugnaquilla today from yesterdays showers right down to about 22oo feet or so.
    I'd imagine,it won't be difficult for precip to fall as snow there at the weekend again.
    I'm not sure it's a place I'd advise anyone to be during a mountain snowstorm though :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭kerry1960

Naw , nothing happening methinks :mad:.

12Z runs are not encouraging, this could be a mountain top only thing the way its looking right now, hopefully there will be better runs overnight, however usually things start moving away like this they just keep going.

I take it all back Gerry:pac:

That was an encouraging forecast at 9:30pm

Damn missed it , tell me more

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭rc28

kerry1960 wrote: »
    Naw , nothing happening methinks :mad:.

Depressing posts like the above should result in an immediate ban IMO ;)

• Advertisement

Damn missed it , tell me more

well, he showed it quite cold on friday and saturday with wintry showers across a lot of the country and troughs(?) coming down from the north every so often. of course with some of these troughs, even though there coming down from a northerly direction, they probably could contain warmer air which ruins everything at lower levels but still i'm optimistic that some of us will experience snow at lower levels. if i'm wrong i'm off to the high ground in Wicklow for the weekend:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement