Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Ericsson phones

• 15-11-2008 5:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭

I've finally decided to get a new phone because my current one (SE W610i) has had a dodgy microphone for a few months now and I'm sick of it.

I'm with Meteor PAYG and want to get an upgrade. I've been looking at the W910i, W890i and W595 but don't really know much about them.

I'm looking for some opinions on which one you would recommend. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,922 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Appleblossom42

Got the W595 last week and I absolutely love it. It looks fantastic and has 2gb memory and good battery life. It's very up to date, only released a few weeks ago. Had w810i, which was the best phone ever but unfortunately it reached it's end. The only drawback is W595 doesn't have a flash or photolight so no more pictures or videos at night:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Thanks guys. It's good to get some opinions before I go in to buy. I'm really annoyed that I have to get rid of my old phone because I love it so I want to pick the right one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Have you considered buying one of the sme phones from eBay unlocked ?
    AFAIK the Meteor PAYG "upgrade" isn't really worth a whole lot to you ?

When it comes to phones I'm more of a bricks and mortar shopper. I've never really considered ebay. Is it worth it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

janeybabe wrote: »
    When it comes to phones I'm more of a bricks and mortar shopper. I've never really considered ebay. Is it worth it?

If it's between a handset that can only be bought on contract, locked and branded, and a handset that is unlocked, unbranded and can be used on prepay or postpay, I would choose eBay almost every time.

Some handsets, such as the low and mid-tier, can be bought on prepay for arguably the same or less than eBay, but if you're looking for a higher end model, then eBay, again, would be the best bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

For me it has been. i've bought two and both have been as described.
    Nearly new and a good saving on what the networks were offering here.
    One of them isn't available on any of the networks here.
    I would usually go for a nearly new unlocked handset. A goog tip is to look on eBay.co.uk, find a phone you're interested in and then ask the seller if they'll ship over here. I find about 80 % will - even if they say "Postage to UK only".

Having said that the usual caveats apply when buying anything on the 'Bay :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

The best thing about the sony erriccson has nothing to do with sony...

Myphoneexplorer. best thing ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

janeybabe wrote: »

sometimes ebay can be good but in your case your best off buy off the local bricks and mortar.... The internet is not always the cheapest place to pick up a phone....

You can pick up a W910i on Meteor upgrade for €129, the same thing on ebay will set you back €189...way cheaper to buy here and it's a very nice phone....you'll love it ff your into music, internet and games (it's motion sensitive:))....it's still €149 with 02 and €299 with 3....it's a bargin on Meteor...looks nice in either red or black...

A really cool feature with the w595 is the shake control for changing tracks and volume. Sound is really good form it too. I changed over to 3 network as it has free windows live messenger. It can also take up to 8gb of memory, which you can get much cheaper online.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,252 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

@appleblossom, how are you finding 3 so far? Did you find planet 3 in the end?

Finding it good so far, no problems yet, fingers crossed :) and yes thank you it was easy to find Planet 3. Haven't had much chance to test the coverage yet but it's looking promising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

In exactly the same position myself and I think I'm going to go for the SE T700. It based on the W890 and has the same features without the front camera, 2gb mem card and ear buds and €30 cheaper. All feature I'd never use anyway.

https://store.meteor.ie/phones/sony_ericsson_t700/#/in_all_phones
    http://www.gsmarena.com/sony_ericsson_t700-review-298.php

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

That's a cool app indeed, allows to keep important information forever.

ebay is the best place for phones in my opinion. I bought around a dozen during the last few years and only twice had problems which were eventually resolved in my favour anyway :)

Used SE handsets for about six years but this relationship is about to end due to the removal of the Sleep clock mode. Overall, happy with the functionality and design of their models but if the company won't reinstate that feature I'll have to say goodbye. The other issue that drives me mad is they never managed to implement a proper call log. These are really the only issues for me. The best SE phone on the market is, in my experience, W880i.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 810 ✭✭✭SEORG

I have just dowloaded this. Great little app. Thanks for mentioning it. I had never heard of it before

none wrote: »
    ebay is the best place for phones in my opinion. I bought around a dozen during the last few years and only twice had problems which were eventually resolved in my favour anyway :)

Unless you need an unlocked phone its cheaper to buy them in a shop over here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Ciaran500 wrote: »
    Unless you need an unlocked phone its cheaper to buy them in a shop over here.
    It's not, at least, not always. The most compelling reason to use ebay (except for the price) is that many nice handsets officially reach this country later than the others so you simply have no way of buying it here.
    Yes, and having an unlocked phone is a thing hard to underestimate ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Pity none of these have autofocus...

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

I've just smashed my k850i out of utter frustration. One of the worst phones I've ever had. Glad to be rid of it :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Rosealee

i have the sony erricson k660i its stylish quiet an has everything you need. great quality camera. mp3 songs. 3g

• Advertisement

murrayp4 wrote: »
    I've just smashed my k850i out of utter frustration. One of the worst phones I've ever had. Glad to be rid of it :mad:

Whats wrong with it?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

yes whats wrong with it?I have the k850 and I love it.I love the touch screen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Rsaeire

yes whats wrong with it?I have the k850 and I love it.I love the touch screen.

I do too. I can't complain on the spec of the phone or the usability.

Well I went in today and got the W595. I probably went against some of the advice here but when I had the different phones in my hand the W595 just felt better.

I then lost my sim card while trying to put it into the new phone in the car! I'm an idiot.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice.

W595 looks good. I'm not sure how much I'd miss not having autofocus camera. I'd be curious about the K850i. Lots of poor comments around the web on this phone. But some say once you get the lastest firmware it fixes a lot of things. It has a good spec, though those buttons are a little sharp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,224 ✭✭✭Walkman

how bout the c902 or c905

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

hey i'm looking to upgrade my SE phone too, can anyone recommend the best one? a very important factor is being able to text fluently.

i had a w810i which had almost perfect buttons and then i got a w610i which had the most frustrating buttons buttons i've ever come across:mad:

I've a w810i which I stil like. The 902 I don't like the buttons and the slider on the camera. The 905 is going to be expensive and its not the best looking phone. The one thing I don't like about the SE and I've had them on and off for years is that the predictive text isn't as good as Nokia, or the iPhone for that matter. Picks odd words too often.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭ITT-Pat

i dont mind the predictive text on w810i...... but them feckin buttons!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭paul larry

ok can i ask advice too, i got a nokia n73 music edition and its truly the worst fone i evr had! contract aint up til april. want rid NOW!!!!!!!!!! should i buy a PAYG or unlocked. im willing to spend about €300 any advice on decent fone for that price. it must have good memory and at least a 3mp camera thanx in advance

Advertisement