Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Okay explain...Vegetarianism?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

well i can only speak for my self and say its a choice not a moral issue..

Then why call yourself a vegetarian or what's the point of being a vegetarian? Sorry but I think you're just lying to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Meglome

"okay explain - eating animals?"

I would like to ask, why do you eat meat. And something a bit more meaningful than "because it tastes good" would be good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭rockbeer

meglome wrote: »
    what's the point of being a vegetarian?

Ask a sheep.

Meglome

"okay explain - eating animals?"

I would like to ask, why do you eat meat. And something a bit more meaningful than "because it tastes good" would be good.

I was directing my last comment at that particular poster. But...

It does taste good although I'm not a huge eater of meat at all. I've been to India and the vegetarianism there seems very natural but I often think in the west it's very forced. In that some people who have had issues with food growing up then morph that into vegetarianism as they grow older. And as for eating animals I didn't create the food chain, that happened a wee bit before my time. But isn't it great that us middle class people can make the choice.

rockbeer wrote: »
    Ask a sheep.

I was directing that at that particular poster. I think if you don't eat meat but happily ignore all the other things you eat that have animal derived products in them, you shouldn't call yourself a vegetarian. If you do that it's just a con job to yourself and everyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I was directing that at that particular poster. I think if you don't eat meat but happily ignore all the other things you eat that have animal derived products in them, you shouldn't call yourself a vegetarian. If you do that it's just a con job to yourself and everyone else.
    Only if you look on vegetarianism as a moral stance and only if you look at it in rigidly defined terms. It depends therefore on your reasoning behind it. Your pov seems to be that unless you are vegan, wear hessian shoes and are a member of greenpeace, you dont deserve the term veggie. Thats like saying if I miss communion on Sunday I can no longer call myself a catholic. An overzealously strict viewpoint, imo.

Oryx wrote: »
    Only if you look on vegetarianism as a moral stance and only if you look at it in rigidly defined terms. It depends therefore on your reasoning behind it. Your pov seems to be that unless you are vegan, wear hessian shoes and are a member of greenpeace, you dont deserve the term veggie. Thats like saying if I miss communion on Sunday I can no longer call myself a catholic. An overzealously strict viewpoint, imo.

No I'm not saying that at all. But what I am saying is there are many many 'vegetarians' out there who won't eat a piece of meat under any circumstances. But knowingly, maybe every day, will eat products with animal derived ingredients in them (I'm only considering eating, not about clothing etc.). Most vegetarians I've met will say it's wrong to eat animals, I haven't personally met one for whom it was just a taste issue. So it seems to me they are not 'doing the best they can', they know full well they are not doing the best they can and yet go on calling themselves vegetarians. It's an utter cop out.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

So you're reason for eating meat is because it tastes good, and because the food chain has been around longer than you?

In the west it would seem more "forced" mainly because it's not as common here as in india.
    But isn't it great that us middle class people can make the choice.
    :rolleyes: yes because only middle class people can afford to be veggie - are they all middle class in india? My shopping bill has gone down by almost 25% since my OH stopped eating meat in the house.
    I think if you don't eat meat but happily ignore all the other things you eat that have animal derived products in them, you shouldn't call yourself a vegetarian. If you do that it's just a con job to yourself and everyone else.
    I would be of the opinion that vegetarians dont eat anything with animals bodies in them, or anything an animal died to produce - like chicken eggs, fine, the chicken did not have to die to give them. Caviaer (sp?) not fine, as far as I know the fish is killed (could be wrong). That colouring conchiel or something, I don't eat, jellys also wont eat unless it is said to be suitable for vegetarians. Most vegtarians are the same. I have a friend who tried to persuade me she was vegetarian even though she eats tuna. When I said vegetarians dont eat fish she tried to persuade me it was ok because... IT COMES FROM A CAN :rolleyes:

If you are talking about animal products like milk etc, you are refering to vegans, which is a different thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Well somebody that knowingly eats meat in anything, not trying to curb their eating of it, is not a vegetarian to me. People can call themselves whatever they want though. If you don't eat meat you can call yourself the king of England for all I care. In what does it matter? The only annoying thing is when people try to serve you fish or prawns because you are vegetarian. It's merely a small inconvenience sometimes. Nothing that matters.

It just depends on the definition, can people that eat butter and eggs be vegetarian, those that drink milk? What happens to theses animals when they stop producing?
    How about if there was animal used in the manufacture of the item but none is in the product, like guinness? What if the foodstuff is a plant but an animal was killed in production?
    Then why call yourself a vegetarian or what's the point of being a vegetarian? Sorry but I think you're just lying to yourself.
    Well for somebody that does not consider it a moral issue, it could be a health or environmental one etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

VEGETARIAN:

SEMI-VEGETARIAN:
    The term semi-vegetarian is usually used to describe someone who is a vegetarian who consumes dairy products, eggs, chicken, and fish, but does not consume other animal flesh.

More like pescitarian.
    I don't think anyone should use the term "semi-vegetarian" cause it's far too broad...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Storm_rages

Oxford dictionary....

vegetarian

• noun a person who does not eat meat for moral, religious, or health reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭Storm_rages

Oh and why i don't eat meat, is because i chose not too. But i guess it would a different reason for every vegetarian...

Advertisement