Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade advice

Options
  • 15-11-2008 6:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭

I've been out of the loop for a couple of years now since I built my last PC (Abit AB9 Pro + Intel E6600). Now that it has died, I have a good excuse to upgrade it (!). I have a number of components that I should still be able to keep using as far as I can tell:

Seasonic S12 550W PSU
    Generic case, it does the job
    4GB of DDR2 RAM, consisting of 2x1GB Corsair PC5300 and 2x1GB OCZ PC5400
    XFX 8800GT
    Various hard drives, two of which are still IDE so I need a board with at least 1 IDE port
    Samsung SATA DVD-RW

This machine's purpose in life was mostly to play games. Anyway, I'd like to upgrade the motherboard and CPU and breathe a bit more life into it. All this Intel i7 and DDR3 stuff looks shockingly expensive, so I don't think I'll be going down that road just yet. I'd like some advice as to what motherboard and CPU you think I should get, and whether I should replace my existing RAM with something faster, especially since DDR2 ram is so cheap.
    I don't have a set budget but I'm not going to be paying for Intel extreme edition CPUs either :)

Advertisement