Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light stopped working

Options
  • 15-11-2008 6:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

The light in our walk in wardrobe stopped working today for some reason. I changed the bulb (3 of them to be sure) and this wasn't the problem. I haven't been doing any electrical work at this end of the house or drilling into walls either. I did replace a couple of light fittings at the other end of the house a month ago but if there was a problem with these, why is it onlt affecting the light at the opposite end of the house now?

It was working this morning but has stopped for no reason that i can think of. Faulty lighht switch perhaps? Any thoughts would be appreciated before I call out a sparks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Possible faulty light switch, fault in the light fitting (are the connections tight and not burnt?) or a fault in another light fitting if the neutrals are looped.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭arse..biscuits

Very difficult to say without testing it. If the bulb isn't the problem then fault in the switch/wiring is most likely. Could be a cable that has come loose. Should be very easily found and fixed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭Kashkai

The thing is that the trip switch has not tripped and all the other light on the circuit are working fine. So how do I go about sorting this, i.e. get a new light switch and replace the old one. If this doesn't work, then what? Can I use a phase tester to check if there is power getting to the light without blowing myself into next week :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

If you know for sure that all the other lights are working and you tried a bulb that def works(try it elsewhere) then its prob just a loose connection either at the switch or at the light fitting. Turn off the power at the board and have a look.

Turned out that a wire had come out of the lightswitch. I popped it back in and retightened the screw and now its working fine again. Why the sparks couldn't have done it properly when doing the house is beyond me but then seeing as this is now one of his growing list of screw ups, it shouldn't surprise me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 265 ✭✭Dec McC

Glad to here you got it sorted:D

And I'm glad to say that I didn't spend €100 on a sparks to have him come round take off the faceplate, put the wire back in, retighten the screw and walk away laughing at me ;):D

Advertisement