Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Tall, Short Cars!

Options
  • 15-11-2008 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi folks,

Just looking for some opinions/experience in relation to a couple of cars I have my eye on.

I'm thinking of buying a new (second-hand) car in January/February. I like high seating positions and hatchbacks but I don't need a huge amount of space and don't want a large, petrol-guzzling engine.

So I was looking at either a Ford Fusion, Mercedes A Class or something along those lines. The car websites don't seem to rate either highly, but does anyone have any personal experience of these cars? Would you recommend them or warn me off them?

Any views greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

Kawabata wrote: »
    Hi folks,

Just looking for some opinions/experience in relation to a couple of cars I have my eye on.

I'm thinking of buying a new (second-hand) car in January/February. I like high seating positions and hatchbacks but I don't need a huge amount of space and don't want a large, petrol-guzzling engine.

So I was looking at either a Ford Fusion, Mercedes A Class or something along those lines. The car websites don't seem to rate either highly, but does anyone have any personal experience of these cars? Would you recommend them or warn me off them?

Hard to recommend the A class or the Fusion. Not particularly bad, but nothing fantastic about either. Try to think along the lines of the Honda Jazz.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,988 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Fiat Panda may be TOO small for your needs, but has a very high seating position, and is virtually indestructible also.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Forget about the A Class, it is a terrible car, just don't be influenced by the MB badge on it.

Ford Fusion is basically a tall Fiesta and might suit your needs but they are very undesireable and it could be hard to shift afterwards.

Similar to the Fusion is the Opel Meriva which is basically a more practical Corsa, could be too big for you though.

Toyota Yaris and Honda Jazz have a highish seating position and might be worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Biro wrote: »
    Hard to recommend the A class or the Fusion. Not particularly bad, but nothing fantastic about either. Try to think along the lines of the Honda Jazz.

+1 for the Jazz. My OH has one and it's a great little car, not to mention the room inside it with the rear seats down.

Also recommended by the Top Gear mothers remember! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭E92

Skoda Roomster(if you can get over the lookd)?

Renault Modus?

Old model Mazda2?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭kazul

Nissan note

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Scenic 1.4 16v, facelift model ( up to....05 iirc) - before they went mad with c/card key systems, etc.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

i'd recommend the Jazz aswell. My missus bought one new in 02 and sold it 5 years later with over 100K miles on the clock. Apart from normal servicing, timing belt .. she didn't even need to change a headlight bulb.

The interior space is very good and with the rear seats folded down it is pratically a van. The 1.4 is a little on the slow sluggish side but adaquate none the less.

She loved it .. and still pines over it since she sold it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭bogmanfan

Audi A2 ticks all your boxes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

Suzuki SX4 ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Kawabata

Thanks for all the suggestions - I'll look into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Kawabata wrote: »
    Hi folks,

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Ford/Galaxy/Zetec-TD/200844190662721/advert Auto, plenty room, diesel, high riding position

My view is that everyone seems to conclude that they need a small car and then work back. The reason is perceived cheapness. The cheap and reliable crowd allow themselves to be hoodwinked daily. If you're that worried about saving cash, buy something practical and desireable and spend less buying it. It's simple. Certainly better than spending €15k on a car because it's cheap to run.

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭spav

Another call for the Panda here. I have the 100hp which is really fun though not especially great on fuel economy. The 1.2 versions are very frugal and very cheap to buy. Surprisingly well put together too and fun to drive.

I was close to buying an Audi A2, lovely car. However, they're incredibly rare so tend to be quite expensive for what you're getting. I nearly bought one about 2 years ago, 4 years old and 20,000 miles on the clock, €14k. Ended up getting my 100hp brand new for less than that, and it's a much more modern, powerful car.

The Micra is supposed to be very good too, though personally I don't like the styling.

Advertisement