Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

web design equiptment

• 15-11-2008 7:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭

I am just starting a web design course...and do not know much on the topic to be honest.

Upon completion of the degree course, i hope to set up a small business designing high quality web sites.

What equiptment and software does a web designer need to make good quality websites commercially....and how much would it cost to set myself up with this equiptment??

thanks in advance.

duncan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

Photoshop, Fireworks, Flash, A decent text editor and you're good to go really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭duncanb

Mirror wrote: »
    Photoshop, Fireworks, Flash, A decent text editor and you're good to go really.
    How much would all that cost?

What sort of computer is best?

thnx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Adam

i'm not sure, search them on the adobe website or amazon. as for the pc, anything relatively up to date should be fine. a bit more ram if you plan to run more than one of these at a time. and a decent monitor so you can see what you're creating the way everyone else will see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

You could go open source:

Instead of photoshop, use Gimp

Instead of flash, use OpenLaszlo

A decent text editor use Notepad++

A good example of a website using OpenLaszlo: http://worrydream.com/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭p

duncanb wrote: »
    I am just starting a web design course...and do not know much on the topic to be honest.

Upon completion of the degree course, i hope to set up a small business designing high quality web sites.

What equiptment and software does a web designer need to make good quality websites commercially....and how much would it cost to set myself up with this equiptment??
    Sounds like you're getting a bit ahead of yourself here. Expecting to complete the course and to be able to design high quality sites is a bit unrealistic. Better to work your ass off at the course learn all you can about design, typography, interaction, user psychology, colour theory, layout and then work in a few web design studios to hone your skills. If the course is short then you'll only learn a tiny fraction of that stuff. A degree in design or multimedia would be something you might want to look into.

Learning to design high quality websites will take a few years, but if you put the work in, it's well worth it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement