Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magpul XTM rails covers.

Options
  • 15-11-2008 8:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭

Just got a question about removing those xtm rail covers, the ones that come in two halves and clip together. I've read on sites that they can be a pain to remove and on their product description it says ''easy to remove with two magpul dummy rounds'', I'm assuming that you can just use two small flat head screw drivers or dummy rounds from a 249 belt?

I don't actually have them yet, just want to know how and what is best way to take them off without wrecking them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

There's a knack to it that you figure out pretty quickly. Each rail piece has one male and one female part, so using a pair of flat head drivers, one in each rail piece opposing, just push them up a mil or two and shimmy them forward and they slide apart.
    If you're using different colour panels with each other, they don't always mate perfectly without a bit of force, similarly taking them apart requires a knack too. Do the same as the above, but once you have them apart by the width of the driver, remove one of them and place it in the gap between the panels and twist. That'll pop them apart without any hassle.

I've never actually tried it with the 249 rounds, or even the Magpul dummy rounds which I have here somewhere, the drivers work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Thanks for tips Dex, where did you manage to get the mp dummy rounds btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭Chuck the Buck

Thanks for tips Dex, where did you manage to get the mp dummy rounds btw?

You can get them from Redwolf and Uncompany (eg - http://www.uncompany.com/pageproductdetails.asp?prodid=11569) amongst other places.

I use a bic biro to pry them apart enough to get a finger nail between them and then pull them apart. I have to say I've noticed no difference between mixing colours together as far as difficulty in removing them goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,984 ✭✭✭NakedDex

eHobby had the dummy rounds at one stage too. I got mine from Tsunami Airsoft in the US a while back when ordering locaps.

The colour difference depends on where you get them I think. They modified the design slightly so if you have some of the original XTM panels and some of the new XTM panels (usually the coloured ones are the newer ones as the black came out first), you'll find them a tighter fit. If they're both the new type they'll be fine. Indeed, if they're both the old type they'll be grand too. The new ones, in case you're wondering how you know, have rounded corners and a slightly different clip.

Advertisement