Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unfair dismissal - wrongful selection?

• 15-11-2008 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Hi all,

I just need a bit of advice. I was made redundant on Friday. There have been some redundancies made previously this year due to the current economic crisis, etc. Up to now, these were all professional/qualified staff.

I am almost 6 months pregnant. I work in the busiest department (which continues to be busy and thriving) for someone who produces the largest volume of work.

I was told that they had looked at each department within the firm when making their selections. Out of 4 of us chosen, only 2 of us are admin staff, the the other two qualified. I am the only person from my department who was chosen

My main question is, was the selection process fair? If I work in the busiest department for one of the busiest people, how can my role now be redundant when accross other departments in the office on a whole, there are staff members with nothing to do as there is no work coming in? Other departments are losing money at present because there is no work coming in and yet these people are sitting there, nothing to do and have been kept on.

In the entire office, I am in no way the least qualified and therefore I could work in any department accross varied roles should I need to be moved but I was not offered an alternative role or even asked to take a wage cut.

The told me that within my department (as the last in is currently on maternity leave) that means I am the next in line. Again, I reiterate that my role cannot possible be redundant, we are too busy!!

I was due to take maternity leave at the end of February and of course would have been entitled to my job back at the end of my leave so I cannot help but wonder if I have been made an easy target because now they will not have to take me back?

I was only told in a meeting and so far have not received anything in writing nor have I been asked to sign anything. I was given three weeks notice by these kind, thoughtful people (5 weeks before Xmas) instead of 2 to allow me to still be withing the 14 week time limit to be eligible for maternity benefit. They also mentioned that I would be getting 6 weeks' redundancy payment and that after this they would look at paying the balance of my wages in conjunction with social welfare payments up to the date that I was due to take maternity leave.

I just want to know if they are covering themselves by making these payments of if I still have a case for unfair selection? I am going to see a solicitor for advice anyway but as it was only yesterday that this happened I am naturally a bit upset and taken aback by it and would really just appreciate someone telling me some good news from my point of view!

Thanks in advance!:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭tobytobe

Sorry, I also meant to say that my boss called me in after I was told to say that he had pleaded my case but had no luck and that couldn't understand what was going to happen to his work now I am going because of the volume of work he produces!!

There is talk of instead of having departments now, they will pool the admin staff. I know that they cannot fill my role after I leave so if they pool everyone the work is still not going to be done effectively and if all staff are pooled I am not the least qualified, or experienced.

Advertisement