Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very quiet beaches..

Options
  • 15-11-2008 8:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭

Hi.I've been looking to relocate close to a large ,sandy beach for some time and am a bit lost with my search.I would prefer to stay in munster but am generally unfamilar with the beaches and was a bit dissapointed at the level of development in clare.The planning departments definately need a good kick up their backsides for allowing some of the stuff they've allowed.Anyway,I have decided to move my search on to cork and kerry but was wondering would any of you guys be able to point me in the direction of what I seem to be looking for or am I deluding myself.Are all beaches nowadays likely to be very built up since our boom or is what I'm looking for still out there(peace,peace&more peace!).Please help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭chavezychavez

Ballybunion beach has become progressively quieter over the last few year, more due to the crap weather than anything else. But there is a very active surfing community still there.
    Personally I haven't jumped on a board for the last few years, but the conditions there are fantastic. Lovely sandy beach with decent breakers off the cliffside.
    Take a trip there some time and see for yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

Cheers Chavez but am really looking for something rural.Just need to get away from it all and its a bit too built up for what I'm looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,639 ✭✭✭PeakOutput

i dont know if you want to have the beach literally to yourself but i was in spanish point last weekend and its not that built up but you do have some towns close by

• Registered Users Posts: 6,790 ✭✭✭cornbb

Plenty of long, sparsely-populated beaches on the Dingle peninsula, such as Brandon Bay and Inch Strand. The quality of the surf is not usually excellent but any sort of crowd is non-existent. I dunno if its as rural as you want but its certainly not as built up to the extent that beaches in Clare are.

Fanore in Clare is another beautiful rural location, not very built-up, but unfortunately the beach can get very crowded.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 mags345

Ballybunion beach has become progressively quieter over the last few year, more due to the crap weather than anything else. But there is a very active surfing community still there.
    Personally I haven't jumped on a board for the last few years, but the conditions there are fantastic. Lovely sandy beach with decent breakers off the cliffside.
    Take a trip there some time and see for yourself.

Hey Chavez, i live near ballybunion and didnt know there was a anactive surfing community there, i rarely c people in the water there, is there a surf skool there cos i usually travel to brandon bay to rent gear but ballybunion wuld be dead handy for me.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 196 ✭✭cards

Thanks for the replies.Spanish point dissappointed me a little when I was there a few weeks ago.I could be very wrong on it though as it was a miserable evening.I will take a look at the beaches you mention near dingle cornbb.I stayed in castlegregory many years ago and while its a distant memory the beaches seem to have plenty space about them and didn't seem to be in any way overcrowded.They seemed deserted for the most part.That's a long time ago however and looking at the listings on daft for castlegregory it seems like a LOT of building work has gone on down there so maybe all has changed.I'm not that bothered about the surf , just more looking for somewhere I can do a bit of running so I'll certainly check out the two you mention.Thanks again everybody!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 381 ✭✭DAVE_K

It's not Munster but Louisburg and beyond is pretty remote and there's a stack of surfing spots that way you can catch on your own/with a couple of others most of the time.

I live in Castlebar and head down that way a bit - a fair few times I've had it to myself.

Cheap accommodation down there too and if you're into running there's plenty of places to go round these parts

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭spider77

Dont want to mention any spots in case but check out waterville area in Kerry as there are a few nice quiet beaches that way with plenty of peace and room for a surf/run. One or two beaches are a bit off the beaten track so does not get too busy in summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭luap_42

Jaysus man, tis easy. Just get out yer map and surf map, find the most remote sandy surf beach and hey presto! Buy a house.

Problem is how do you survive. If you need t'internet you may have to filter out quite a lot from your search.

I reckon I've surfed most places on the west coast and a fair few of the south coast over the past 25 years. I wouldn't be surprised to see crowds on any beach during the summer months anymore.

On the other hand, I've had Doughmore to myself out of season a few times, but even that's changing fast.

If you want all year round peace and quiet, I think you'll have to try a bigger country. The best you can do here is go as far away from the cities as possible. I'd say as far south west as possible into cork or kerry.

Advertisement