Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Sorry but a quick vrt question

Options
  • 15-11-2008 8:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭

i was under the impression that if ur importing a car, say its 2005, its not based on c02, its only for brand new cars...am i wrong? went into revenue.ie to check and it was based on c02, am i doing something wrong?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭pureirish

no, it's all cars imported regardless of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

pureirish wrote: »
    no, it's all cars imported regardless of year

Yes and No,

All cars imported are subject to Co2 based VRT unless they are over 30 years old and then they are subject to Category C VRT €50 which is the same category as certain commercial vehicles fall into.

All cars older than 2008 are subject to CC Engine Based Motor Tax except Vintage which is much lower.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,245 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

2008 imports:
    VRT is Co2 based.
    Road tax is Co2 based.

Pre 2008 imports:
    VRT is Co2 based.
    Road tax is engine size based.

Vintage or Classic cars over 30 years old are exempt afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭cooperguy

As a matter of interest if I was to import a 2005 car (for example) when I get my Irish reg. whould it be an 05 (Date of Manufacture) or 08 (date of registration)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

cooperguy wrote: »
    As a matter of interest if I was to import a 2005 car (for example) when I get my Irish reg. whould it be an 05 (Date of Manufacture) or 08 (date of registration)?

• Advertisement
Advertisement