Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Ireland - Who owns what dsl??

Options
  • 15-11-2008 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭

I'm just trying to determine who are the sellers and resellers of dsl broadband here in Ireland.

I'm assuming anyone bar Eircom is a reseller of some kind. BT resell eircoms bitstream dsl, ICE resell BT fibre to make their backhaul network, Digiweb lease BT and ESBT fibre for their network etc.

BT, Smart, Magnet operate LLU which wouldn't be resold Eircom Wholesale products

Are my findings right so far?

All input here would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Smart, Magnet, BT, Digiweb etc: LLU is sadly also eircom lines. In other countries the ISP can buy or lease the line.
    Here the ISP has to rent (FOREVER) from eircom:
    • Access to exchange building.
    • Space for rack/equipment
    • Power
    • The actual Line
    • Often backhaul out of exchange.
    Only eircom makes any significant money from resold bitstream or LLU. magnet I think is the only ISP to also use GLUMP. There is a problem with LLU compared with other countries to do with voice, GLUMP is supposed to address that. Smart, Digiweb & UPC have their own voice networks with interconnect to eircom. Not sure how BT & Magnet handle voice. BT may actually uniquely have a few complete exchanges (thus no rental to eircom), but I could be mistaken on that. AFAIK only Digiweb and UPC (maybe possibly Smart) are independent of eircom completely for the majority of customers.

Digiweb do lease dark fibre but also have other fibre and high capacity Microwave links of their own with excess capacity. Digiweb's is possibly the largest independent ISP backhaul network and unlike eircom that uses a lot of ISDN/ATM on backhaul, it's all NGN. Leasing fibre is unconnected to issue of eircom or DSL. The BT fibre is from the CIE/ESAT deal. There are also the MANs which are used by Digiweb for Business customers and Backhaul. They also have no eircom ownership.

In the past a majority of Mobile Phone mast backhaul was priISDN etc which is not ideal for data.

All Bitstream DSL uses eircom backhaul, I'd guess, but don't know for sure, that most LLU uses eircom backhaul.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

that would be 100% incorrect Watty - no LLU provider uses eircom backhaul because eircom backhaul is not available for LLU in the ARO :)

You need to go into the exchange on your own fibre....This gives LLU operators as much backhaul capacity as they wish to light...

• Registered Users Posts: 177 ✭✭Mikebyrne

What does ARO stand for?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Mikebyrne wrote: »
    What does ARO stand for?

Access Reference Offer

See http://www.eircomwholesale.ie/regulatory/subreg_details.asp?id=97

Advertisement