Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any special deals on attic insulation?

Options
  • 15-11-2008 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

anyone know of any places doing special offers on attic insulation at the moment?

I'm looking to insulate my roof....attic floor is done since it was built but the roof was never done

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,947 ✭✭✭✭Villain

My local hardware quoted me €23 for a roll of 6" rockwool

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

B&Q are currently selling 200 mm insulation for 13 euros a roll. It's 1/2 the price I paid for similar stuff from my local builder provider. When I was in B&Q here in Cork they were literally couldn't keep it in stock it was in such demand.

Only slight 'negative' (for me) is that they are cut in 370 mm wide widths, and my loft has 570 mm separation. Still worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

youtheman wrote: »
    B&Q are currently selling 200 mm insulation for 13 euros a roll. It's 1/2 the price I paid for similar stuff from my local builder provider. When I was in B&Q here in Cork they were literally couldn't keep it in stock it was in such demand.

Only slight 'negative' (for me) is that they are cut in 370 mm wide widths, and my loft has 570 mm separation. Still worth it though.

mine are 57cm width aswell so its useless for that purpose I presume

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭youtheman

My understanding it that modern pre-fabricated roof trusses are much stronger than the old traditional site fabricated roof trusses, hence the members are lighter and spaced at greater intervals (57 cm for the new type instead of 37 cm for the old type.) I assume the truss centrelines are supposed to be 60 cm for the new type and 40 cm for the old type.

I ended up purchasing the 37 cm wide stuff from my local builder provider. I was hoping that I could get it in a single rool (i.e. not pre-cut), but it was not avalable. I still plan to put it between my 57 cm trusses, I'll just have to cut some smaller strips to make up the difference.

At 13 euros a roll you could still buy it and run it at 90 degrees and across the roof trusses. I reckon with the price of oil/gas it's money 'well spent'.

Having read the original post I think you are looking for insulating for the roof, so soft insulation might not be suitable in any case. Only thing you have to be careful is to leave a 50 mm air gas between the insulation and the felt (to avoid condensation). If you attic space it 'un-manned' then it might not be necessary.

Advertisement