Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is CCNA still FAS Funded?

Options
  • 15-11-2008 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Hi All

I'm hoping to start the CCNA course soon and was wondering is there still FAS funding available for this? I did the MCSE a few years back and managed to get nearly 70% funded through FAS.

If there isnt funding available can anyone recommend somewhere where I could do it in the evenings in the city centre which isn't too expensive?

:o

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

mairead98 wrote: »
    Hi All

I'm hoping to start the CCNA course soon and was wondering is there still FAS funding available for this? I did the MCSE a few years back and managed to get nearly 70% funded through FAS.

If there isnt funding available can anyone recommend somewhere where I could do it in the evenings in the city centre which isn't too expensive?

:o

Thanks!

You could always try IACT in Stephens green, i think they get some funding by FAS. Hope that helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭cance

CCNA course eh?

have you considered self study? the CCNA CBT Nuggets are Excellent combined with a copy of cisco packet tracer are more than enough to get the fundamentals of networking into the noggin and even pass the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

cance wrote: »
    the CCNA CBT Nuggets are Excellent combined with a copy of cisco packet tracer
    Cisco Packet Tracer only officially comes with a course unfortunately - not that has stopped some. ;) It is very good software for practicing.
    CBT Nuggets for CCNA is excellent - the trainer makes it very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

axer wrote: »
    Cisco Packet Tracer only officially comes with a course unfortunately - not that has stopped some. ;) It is very good software for practicing.

+1

Its not that hard at all really. Just take your time and remember that its a marathon, not a race!

Learn the stuff and know it well. Do lots of practice. You'll find you wont have any trouble remembering things if you were to read the book. Watch the videos (I recommend TrainSignal videos for CCNA - way better than CBT nuggets) and then do some labs using something like GNS3.

With GNS3 you should be able to practice PPP, Frame-Relay, RIP, basic router configuration etc...

You can find more information on GNS3 here:

http://www.gns3.net
    http://dynagen.org/tutorial.htm (GNS3 is a graphical user interface for dynagen/dynamips)

You can find some nice tutorials here to get you started:
    http://www.blindhog.net/

Also check out the Cisco learning network and join the forum:
    https://cisco.hosted.jivesoftware.com/index.jspa?ciscoHome=true

;)

HTH,

iRock

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

axer wrote: »

Hey Axer,

Have you taken the exam yet?

The reason I ask is (and not to alarm you) I found CBT nuggets to be poor in comparison to TrainSignal (Chris Bryant).

How did you find CBT in exam prep? - Did you find that they left anything out?

That guy puts me to sleep! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

iRock wrote: »
    Hey Axer,

Have you taken the exam yet?

The reason I ask is (and not to alarm you) I found CBT nuggets to be poor in comparison to TrainSignal (Chris Bryant).

How did you find CBT in exam prep? - Did you find that they left anything out?

That guy puts me to sleep! :D
    Yep, I passed the CCENT and CCNA seperately a few months back (got something like 92% an 96% respectively (can't remember exact scores).

I think I tried the train signal package but IIRC it was very boring - kinda like the TestOut ones.

I used CBT as a starter which explained some things like packet sniffing that were outside the CCNA syllabus but which helped me understand the reasons for certain things better. I can learn best when I know that the teacher knows what they are talking about and are able to explain the concepts in a relaxed way. I found that the CBT nuggets course did not cover everything needed to pass though.

So I also used the Exam Cram books (along with the MS Press books and the Sybex books). There is one great table in the CCENT exam cram book that you can learn off that helps you deal with IP addressing and subnet masks quickly during the exam which I find is a must due to time constraints. By learning off the table I fully understood how masks and IP addresses work together so I can now perform the calculations instantly in my head not by memory but by understanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mairead98

I think I'll just go down the self study route...I have the CBT Nuggets for CCNA but I havent even looked at it yet. I have done self study before but I wasn't sure if it was better to do an actual course on the CCNA or not!

Self Study V's 2000 grand for a course....think self study is the far better option! :o

Thanks for all the advice lads!

Advertisement