Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Automatic vs Manual Driving License

Options
  • 15-11-2008 9:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

Hi,

This is similar to the recent 'automatic license - redoing test' thread, but I'm still not quite sure of the position!

To explain my situation, I have had for several years a full Irish driving license restricted to automatics, as I sat my test in an automatic. Fair enough - I realised this restriction would apply, and it didn't bother me.

Lately, I've been thinking that it would be good to drive a manual, and now I'm wondering about my license situation. I appreciate that I would have to start from scratch in a manual, i.e., do the theory test, apply for a learning license, etc.

My question relates to my status as a full license holder for automatics in the meantime. Do I still get to legally drive around in my automatic while holding a separate (?) learner license for manuals?

This is a very important issue for me, as I need my automatic to get to work and wouldn't be able to find a qualified driver to accompany me everywhere. Hope that makes sense - sorry if it's a silly question!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Yes, you're allowed to.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Kawabata wrote: »
    Do I still get to legally drive around in my automatic while holding a separate (?) learner license for manuals?
    Of course you do as you have demonstrated your competency in the auto.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Kawabata wrote: »
    Lately, I've been thinking that it would be good to drive a manual, and now I'm wondering about my license situation. I appreciate that I would have to start from scratch in a manual, i.e., do the theory test, apply for a learning license, etc.

I'm not sure that you would need a new theory test cert, just 6 months on a learner permit.

While I do not think the following is the case
    , it would make sense that if you hold a full licence for category B with the code for no-manuals in the resrtictions section, you could learn whilst accompanied using the existing licence. There would be absolutely no difference between the learner permit you would get now and the one you had before, except its classification as a Learner Permit and not a Provisional Licence.

Can someone clarify for the OP's benefit and my own curiosity the exact procedure here?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

sdonn_1 wrote: »
    Can someone clarify for the OP's benefit and my own curiosity the exact procedure here?
    No, he/she would be legally obliged to have a Learner Permit for driving a manual. His/her current driving licence will have a '78' stamped on it and therefore would not allow that licence to be used in a manual vehicle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Kawabata

Thanks for the advice.

It's swatting for the theory test for me so!

• Advertisement
Advertisement