Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

England Squad announced

• 15-11-2008 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭

Some interesting names called up, still no place for Michael Owen.

England squad to play Germany: Carson, Hart, James, Bridge, Davies, Johnson, Terry, Lescott, Mancienne, Richards, Upson, Barry, Carrick, Downing, Lampard, Gerrard, Wright-Phillips, A Young, Agbonlahor, Bent, Crouch, Defoe, Walcott

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Calling up Macienne? Is Capello the new Steve Staunton?

Surely there are better English defenders in the Premier League?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Maybe he was a quick replacement for Ferdinand? still a weird choice though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

I'd hazard it's as much a statement to those in the lower leagues that if they play well enough they'll be considered. And because of england's wealth of CBs, I'd say he doesn't feel he needs to bring in another Premiership defender what with Ferdinand, Terry, Lescott, Richards, Davies, Upson to choose from. Better to use the extra slots caused by injury to give a young one who has the potential to make it some experience. having them get used to the set up and what not will probably make things easier down the line if they ever are to be considered, less pressure etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Mancienne is a good choice. Capello is putting out two messages at once. Play well for the under-21's and you can earn a call up to the first team and Championship players who impress enough can be called up. Mancienne will be playing for Chelsea soon anyway which is probably better than the likes of Upson, Davies and other Ferdinand will be doing soon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

First time I've heard of the player (or at least took notice at his name). Can't remember ever saying that about an England call up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Chelsea player, just gone on loan with Wolves where he is looking useful.
    The 20-year-old centre-back, who can also play at right full-back, is an elegant defender, whose comfort on the ball has always promised a bright future. Despite outstanding performances for the Championship leaders and Stuart Pearce’s England Under-21 side his selection for the senior side has come out of left field.

It is understood that Capello was planning to call up Mancienne even before Rio Ferdinand pulled out through injury, so keen is the Italian to see him up close. Before announcing that Mancienne was in the squad, Capello had spoken of his eagerness to work with fresh faces from the Under 21s.

“I want to know them better,” he said. “It is possible that one of them can play. But I want to get to know the players, during the camp over two days.”

Mike

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,100 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

and he very much looks like a girl
    michaelmancienne_1414638.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

Surely it would make more sense to call up Wheater.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

eirebhoy wrote: »
    First time I've heard of the player (or at least took notice at his name). Can't remember ever saying that about an England call up.

When Dawson got a call up while still at Forest. imo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

the guys a legend in FM08.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Did well on loan at QPR and has been playing well for the 21s. Not that big a surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Indeed. Also lots of nations bring in the young talented kids to give them experience, even if they never get to play. It's good for their development, you can see that even with Walcott.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

PHB wrote: »
    It's good for their development, you can see that even with Walcott.

Exactly Walcott was called up before he had even played for Arsenal. I don't know much about Mancienne but by all accounts he's playing well and is a good prospect.

Also it's good to see Ashley Young, Agbonlahor and Davies get a call up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

the guys a legend in FM08.

:pac:
    I see Everton have signed a deal with SI to get exclusing access to the Football Manager database. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭tetsujin1979

I see Everton have signed a deal with SI to get exclusing access to the Football Manager database. :D

The Collyer brothers are massive Everton fans. There were rumours before of clubs, especially in the lowers leagues, using Football Manager for cheap scouting!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Are Woodgate & Ant Ferdinand injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Live on ITV 1

Agbonlaor in good for at the moment, big chance for him tonight.

England: James, Johnson, Terry, Upson, Bridge, Wright-Phillips, Carrick, Barry, Downing, Defoe, Agbonlahor. Subs: Carson, Robinson, Lescott, Richards, Mancienne, Davies, Parker, Bullard, Young, Crouch, Bent.

Germany: Adler, Friedrich, Mertesacker, Westermann, Compper, Schweinsteiger, Rolfes, Jones, Trochowski, Gomez, Klose. Subs: Wiese, Hinkel, Tasci, Helmes, Podolski, Marin, Hitzlsperger, Schafer, Weis.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

1-0 England Upson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Final score Germany 1 - 2 England, the only way Germany were going to score was through a defensive cock-up -which happened! Not sure who to blame more but Terry made amends with the second goal.

How bad are Germany? Like England its hardly thier first choice 11 but the lack of application and spirit was clear.

Mike

Advertisement