Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

100m ethernet connection outdoors.

Options
  • 15-11-2008 10:27pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

What would be a good way to do this? It's to provide 6mb broadband from one fixed site to another. I know 100m is at the limit but what is lost after this with Cat5/6 cable, speed or data integrity or both? I'd be grand with speed if it was only that.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 716 ✭✭✭JohnnieM

Is it exactly 100m ? what is th exact distance,,? if more you could use a vdsl router costs kittle ove 100 each plus vat (need two master and a slave) I have had great success with using them in the past

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭joePC

Cat5 should work fine up to and slightly over 100m, the other options are fibre which will cost you or a point to point wireless link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Get some good quality wirless gear like that used by WISPS and it will work perfectly. Still you can't beat a wired link.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 695 ✭✭✭FusionNet

Id personally recommend a Wimax secure Point to point wireless system. But it might be way over budget. A 14.4MB link would be fantastic, but your probably talkin3 grand.. Saying that though you can send VOIP, IP Data etc down that pipe...

Outdoor Cat5e cable is hard to find, and also 90M is your limit, with 5m of patch cable either side..

By the way if this is for a business dont use cheap wireless, its too easily hacked..

Let me know if you need info Id be glad to point you in the right direction.

Advertisement