Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Inconsistent modding in the GAA forum?

Options
  • 15-11-2008 10:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭

Can I get a few opinions on this thread?

In posts 2 & 4 there's a light hearted dig about the rugby match in Croke Park. Nothing too bad I would have thought, but one poster didn't take to it lightly and was subsequently and rightly banned for a week for abuse.

Supermanscat then posted a similar joke about how he should go with some Dubliners to get the match postponed for 15 mins to make the match on time. Again, it was light hearted, humourous banter and definitely nothing too sinister. Blackbelt, the mod who saw no harm in the first two jokes, then banned Supermanscat for 10 days for trolling! :confused:

Personally I found no difference between either of the jokes, but it's the poster who takes a swipe at the Dubs that gets the banning......and it's a mod who supports Dublin that bans him.

I found Supers comment pretty funny actually. Anyone who follows the GAA knows that a substantial number of Dublin C'ship matches are postponed by 15 mins, certainly higher than the average around the rest of the country and definitely nothing that deserved a 10 day banning. And considering one of the rugby jokes took a swipe at a much more controversial issue (the apparant middle-upper class following of rugby matches) it makes the modding even more bizarre.

Thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,676 ✭✭✭✭smashey

Every now and then we get comments in GAA that try to get a rise out of Dublin fans and as I'm sure you're aware deise, all hell breaks loose. In this case, Blackbelt might just have nipped it in the bud.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

smashey wrote: »
    Every now and then we get comments in GAA that try to get a rise out of Dublin fans and as I'm sure you're aware deise, all hell breaks loose. In this case, Blackbelt might just have nipped it in the bud.

I understand that sometimes there can be some instances like that smash, but was all hell really going to break loose in a simple topic from someone looking for directions to Croker?! :confused: The poster wasn't even looking to get a rise out of the Dub posters IMO, he was simply passing a light-hearted remark about how to get to Croker in time, just like the other posters were passing a light-hearted remark about rugby in the stadium.

Had the same joke been aimed at a different county (or a different sport, as we've seen in that topic) there would never be a ban for trolling. Do we really want to start an agenda where there's one rule for Dublin-related posts and another rule for everyone else?

Edit: I'm sure many people would also take the view that Pride Fighter was trying to "get a rise" out of the people who don't want foreign sports in Ireland, a topic that has, in the past, gained much more heated debate than any Dublin-related discussion.

Going by your logic, surely that should have been "nipped in the bud" aswell....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

I understand that sometimes there can be some instances like that smash, but was all hell really going to break loose in a simple topic from someone looking for directions to Croker?!

Yes iirc. It would have dragged the thread off topic which is against the charter. Ban justified.

tbh, i'd have taken action on the dig at the rubgy supporters also, but thats just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 287 ✭✭Supermanscat

I dont mind the ban but it's the inconsistency that annoys me.

It was just a witty, off the cuff remark. Nothing else. I personally felt the dig at the rugby lads would have been more provoking...

I've PM'ed the mod in question so hopefully he'll clarify the matter.

• Advertisement

Well i Pm'd him after the incident asking what was trolling?

I also apoligised saying it was meant offensive. And asked for my ban to be reduced.

Hopefully he'll see sense.

A similar swipe at the Dubs was posted in the jersey thread yesterday, and as of this post no action has been taking.

Can you someone PLEASE explain what we are and are not allowed to post, because it seems to me that not even the mods know themselves.

I'll have a look.
    Please report the offending post.

Done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,742 ✭✭✭blackbelt

In Darrens case,I banned him for abuse.He can have no complaints whatsoever.

I banned Supermanscat in accordance with the charter which was layed out and outlined before I even became a mod.Kaimera posted in the rules charter about picking on fans,sunshine fans,Dublin and Ulster etc and those rules still stand.I deemed Supermanscats comment as irrelevent,off topic and bait to get a reaction.It is things like this which cause flame topics.

Also,it does not matter what county I am from.I have a job to moderate the GAA forum which I am very happy to do.Had comments been made about Meath supporters,Sligo,Cork,Laois,Donegal or Antrim supporters,I would have followed through the same as I did and yes I am the first one to see the flaws in my own county's supporters,the ones who let down the genuine fans.

As for the previous comments from Pridefighter and another poster,I will read them and if necessary take action but it is also the responsibility of posters who take offense to a certain post to report it using the report post icon function.I can't stress that enough.

• Advertisement

blackbelt wrote: »
    In Darrens case,I banned him for abuse.He can have no complaints whatsoever.

I banned Supermanscat in accordance with the charter which was layed out and outlined before I even became a mod.Kaimera posted in the rules charter about picking on fans,sunshine fans,Dublin and Ulster etc and those rules still stand.I deemed Supermanscats comment as irrelevent,off topic and bait to get a reaction.It is things like this which cause flame topics.

Also,it does not matter what county I am from.I have a job to moderate the GAA forum which I am very happy to do.Had comments been made about Meath supporters,Sligo,Cork,Laois,Donegal or Antrim supporters,I would have followed through the same as I did and yes I am the first one to see the flaws in my own county's supporters,the ones who let down the genuine fans.

As for the previous comments from Pridefighter and another poster,I will read them and if necessary take action but it is also the responsibility of posters who take offense to a certain post to report it using the report post icon function.I can't stress that enough.

Thanks for the reply blackbelt.

The way I see it, there have been 4 violations of the charter in the past 2 days.

1 - Two cheap digs were aimed at rugby fans by 2 seperate posters. As far as I'm aware they weren't reported but as it stands not action has still yet to be taken.

2 - One poster gets annoyed by said comments and abuses the 2 posters. Gets a deserved full week ban.

3 - An identical cheap dig to violation #1 was posted, but this time towards Dublin supporters. Again as far as I'm aware the post wasn't reported, yet a full 10 day ban for trolling was issued, without prior warning.

4 - Another cheap dig towards the Dubs was aimed by a different poster in a different topic. This post WAS reported, and yet this poster DOES get a warning without a ban or even an infraction.

No matter what way you look at it, that is inconsistency of the highest order.

If you say your allegiance with the Dubs had no bearing on your decision, then I'll respect that. But you and the rest of the mods would go a long way to proving that statement by treating every violation of the charter the exact same way.

I understand the importance of reporting posts if I take offense. But as I stated in my OP, I didn't see a whole lot wrong with either the rugby or dublin digs in the first place, just light-hearted banter. That's why I didn't report them. When Smashey and Kairoma stated that that was not the case, I went and reported the second Dublin jib (violation #4 from the list above).

The last thing I want to do is turn this topic into a mod witch hunt to "FIGHT TEH POWA!" I post in GAA quite a bit and for the vast majority the mods there are very fair. All I want to do is to ensure that every poster is treated the exact same way, regardless of who they are or who they're slagging off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

inconsistency does not equate to bias though. That's a point I think you're missing. Every situation is different, there will be inconsistencies between decisions since its a human system we have here. The same inputs won't always result in the same outputs.

Also, there will always be an element of poster history taken into account. A valued poster who has an off day and posts a dig may get a slap while another poster would be simply banned out right.

Well i wasn't looking for a reaction. It was just quick wit. Maybe if id thrown a rake of smiley faces behind it then it wouldn't have been taken seriously.

Boston wrote: »
    Also, there will always be an element of poster history taken into account. A valued poster who has an off day and posts a dig may get a slap while another poster would be simply banned out right.

Even if that is the case, it still doesn't fit in with the mods decisions. Of the 3 posters that weren't banned, 2 are fairly experienced posters been here a while while the 3rd had only 30 or so posts under his/her name.

The poster that did get banned fell in between the two, a few hundred posts after a member of 2 years. And I'm unaware of any of the 4 posters having previous convictions to their name. Can anyone explain that to me?

I don't mean to sound like I'm just nagging at this stage, but its been 3 days since this topic was started and I'm still yet to hear from any of the GAA mods why Homer, Pride Fighter and Browney weren't banned like Super.

And we wait.....

Because as moderators they'll used their super human powers of deduction to sense there's a thread on feedback about their forum.

You know what works? A PM. You might think about sending one with a link to the thread. Note, however, there's no obligation on them to reply.

Because as moderators they'll used their super human powers of deduction to sense there's a thread on feedback about their forum.

You know what works? A PM. You might think about sending one with a link to the thread. Note, however, there's no obligation on them to reply.

I dont think thet have super human powers. And i dont know does PM's wok because i did infact PM them. thank you Boston.

With a link to the thread?

With a link to the thread?

No but i described the thread and they know the one i was talking about. It was obvious and theyve already posted earleir in the thread. Quite clear. Anyway it doesnt matter.

Just waiting for this frickin ban to end!!!! :D:D

ah well, I apologise for my condescending manner, in that case.

• Advertisement

ah well, I apologise for my condescending manner, in that case.

And i graciously accept it :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

Far too much political corrrectness and heavy handedness here IMHO.

A lighter touch excellencies - a lighter touch is all thats needed.

Hope this has not offended anybody .....:D

I dont think thet have super human powers. And i dont know does PM's wok because i did infact PM them. thank you Boston.
    I didn't get any pm from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Inconsistant modding and smashey, this can only be lies.

*angry mob screams for tongue of OP

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

so whats trolling? and what is and how does one become a moderator and what do they do.ta

so whats trolling? and what is and how does one become a moderator and what do they do.ta

Troll.

How to become a mod.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭ManFromAtlantis

thanks. i think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

smashey wrote: »
    I didn't get any pm from you.

Neither did I

• Registered Users Posts: 3,370 ✭✭✭GAAman

How easily things are forgotten. Like that supermanscat has a history in the gaa forum. A history of what you ask? Well sure have a look yourself at where he called Flukey a " a thick little ignorant ****er who never kicked a football" for Flukey's frankly eloquent response to this thread

And as a matter of fact supermanscat should have been banned in line with the charter for that first post (with no offense to the mods) but thats just my opinion

And of course we cant forget supermanscats excuse for this happening

"I left my account logged in and someone else posted it and hacked my password" :rolleyes:

And i will edit this before a "its only cos your a Dub blah blah" nothin of the sort, i would hardly expect one rule for Dubliners and another for anyone else

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

he was banned by me at the time; perhaps not for the initial post in the thread but shortly afterwards and the duration of the ban I gave at the time stood even with the "hacked pw" line I got.

Advertisement