Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sata drive not showing up in my computer

Options
  • 15-11-2008 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭

I bought a new oem drive 500gig sata in maplins today.IT shows up in control panel ,Device manager as maxtor hardrive 3500320AS,but it doesnt show up in My computer .I using sharkoon usb to sata/ide kit. I got it for laptop backups. DO i need to put it in a pc ,with standard sata cables and format it in ntfs .is it already formatted?
    this is the first time i bought a new hd in the box.
    i can acess an old 80gig ide thru the usb /ide kit.IF i brought it back with receipt would they give me a 500gig ide drive.
    ARE oem hds usually formatted before they are sold?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

right click my computer then click manage, click storage then disk management and it should be there as unallocated or somethin right click it and format, should be ok then

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

yeah,thanks ,im formatting now, it says 9percent formatting, file format, RAW,
    I PRESUME i can format it in NTFS format later.at this rate ,it,ll take another 50minutes to complete.

it should of gave an option to format in ntfs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

i think i clicked the wrong option,re file format, so i PRESUME ,i can just format it again in ntfs, or am i stuck with RAW file format.I thought there was only fat32,and ntfs file formats under windows ,or vista os.will i need to partition the drive,does vista read hd,s in raw file format?

there should be only 1 partition so format the whole lot in ntfs

• Advertisement
Advertisement