Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frying Food

• 15-11-2008 11:42pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 634 ✭✭✭

Hey,

How unhealty is frying food when it comes to the likes of fish?

Im trying to gain weight rather than lose so thats probably one advantage. I saw an interesting recipe for fish cakes with mashed beans instead of potato and thought of giving it a go, but the frying is putting me off.

Is frying with a tablespoon or two of good quality olive oil or some nut oils better or is there any difference

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭nerdysal

As far as I know frying with any veg oil or olive is grand! As long as its not butter! The fact that's its fish cakes I don't think it would matter too much!

I know how you feel by the way, I'm desperately trying to put on weight! I've just started a food diary if you have any words of encouragement!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Frying at home is not a problem, it's the sort of deep-frying using transfats they do in chippers that makes doctors shudder.

Realistically, is there much difference between steaming a bit of broccoli and adding a spoonful of olive oil to it when you are done, and stir-frying it in the same oil?

As long as you keep the cooking temperature consistant with your fat, you are fine. Olive oil, particularly extra virgin, can't handle very high temperatures before it breaks down. It's fine for eggs, not good for stir-frying.

Actually for higher temperatures, your best bet is butter or coconut oil. They both handle high temperatures well, and don't add weird tastes to the food. Good quality nut oils are better used to season rather than to cook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

nerdysal wrote: »
    As far as I know frying with any veg oil or olive is grand! As long as its not butter!
    Some would favour butter over veg oils for frying, for health reasons (not to mention taste!).

Advertisement