Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Heurelho Gomes

• 15-11-2008 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭

How is he premier league quality? Has anyone counted the number of goals he has been at fault for this season already? I'd be interested to see how many

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

I don't think he's a particularly bad keeper, just a good keeper woefully short on confidence. I'm sure he'll be back to his best like in his PSV days, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Given or someone else coming in as his replacement in January.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

The commentators couldn't stop talking about how highly rated he was when PSV played Spurs at WHL. He played very well in that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I didn't see him at PSV, but this season for Spurs he has been absolutely sh*te. Harry might be looking for a keeper in January.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

Spurs will definitely buy a keeper. I could certainly see Given going to WHL. I think it would be a great move for both parties. Given deserves a chance at winning some silverware and he has a far better chance under Redknap at Spurs than at Newcastle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

lol because Spurs chucked Paul Robinson out on his arse for making too many mistakes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

i dont think its a confidence thing. a keeper with low confidence wont keep coming for every cross, he'll shrink back onto his line

i think the chap is just pish moreso than anything else

good shot stopper, but has nothing else about him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

he is great shot stopper...he's just bad at decision making!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

he is great shot stopper...he's just bad at decision making!

+1. Also it's probably really difficult for him to adapt to an all english speaking defence. He is quality, he just needs time to settle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

He's stupid. He doesn't strike me as being smart at all.

Bit of a day dreamer, and that's what kills him. He doesn't concentrate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭Kevster

Each time he screws up, I can picture Harry patting him on the back telling him how good he thinks he is. That said, he's made terrible mistakes and is the weak-point of the team. Weak-points should be dropped. If Gomes was at Man U, do you think Ferguson would still play him?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

First 6 months in Holland the non-PSV fans laughed their arses off.
    Made mistake after mistake and even ended up on the bench at 1 point.

But he recovered and he became the only reason PSV won 4 championships in a row.
    Give the guy some time, if he gets back to his old PSV form at 1 point, he ll be the best in the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,841 ✭✭✭Running Bing

Kevster wrote: »
    Each time he screws up, I can picture Harry patting him on the back telling him how good he thinks he is. That said, he's made terrible mistakes and is the weak-point of the team. Weak-points should be dropped. If Gomes was at Man U, do you think Ferguson would still play him?

He would if the alternative wasa 5 foot 4 keeper with a bus pass:D

Gomes has always been known as an eccentric keeper. He is incredibly agile and a great shot stopper, I dont think thats even up for debate but he is poor at catching and decision making.

The problem is in the EPL a lot more argey bargey goes on in the box. Its a lot more physical with more jostling and that doesnt suit him. His confidence is clearly at rock bottom at the moment as you can see how hesitant and indecisive he is. He is no longer coming out for crosses and the defenders are putting the ball out of play rather than rely on him.

I think there is a good keeper in there somewhere. Dont know if he will ever fulfil his potential at Spurs and I think Arry has a big decision in January. Things are bad when you find yourself longing for the days when Robbo was between he sticks;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Gomes was quality with PSV, any time i saw them play he was the stand out player. It takes time to adapt to the English game, something Gomes wasn't given, but i really do think if he's given the support he could be a great signing in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Gomes was quality with PSV, any time i saw them play he was the stand out player. It takes time to adapt to the English game, something Gomes wasn't given, but i really do think if he's given the support he could be a great signing in the long run.

i dont buy that for a keeper

the shots are the same, the crosses are the same

its not like he has to adjust to the speed of the game like outfield players. he just has to do the same job hes ever done

communication might be a minor issue, but im sure he knows the words for "out", "left", "right", "house", "push" and "touch" at this stage

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Bubs101 wrote: »
    +1. Also it's probably really difficult for him to adapt to an all english speaking defence. He is quality, he just needs time to settle

I daresay there was more chance of his back 4 at PSV speaking more comprehensible English. He was quite flaky at PSV for periods and he didn't just stop being crap and become mega (wahey, the 80s is back) overnight. He still had his fair share of WTBF moments over the last couple of seasons. He's been pish this year though and, like Richard Dunne, should be dropped for a while at least.

Advertisement