Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics or Biology

Options
  • 16-11-2008 12:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭

I am currently doing economics. Its ok, it looks kinda tough. I am not doing a science course in college but biology looks interesting. Should I move to biology. Which subject is easier? Is biology difficult? Will not taking a science as I'm doing none currently affect me for college? I plan on doing Law or something like that but I'm interested in game development. do I need a science for game development? Please advise me.

p.s. Is anyone doing both? Which do you prefer and which paper is harder?

Comments

I'm personally doing neither, but from what I've heard biology is meant to be a very large course with huge amounts of learning. If you like learning then I presume it'd be ok, but just beware. If you want a science, why not physics? It has the lightest workload of the three sciences; and out of the three it'd be the most suited to game development.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I'm personally doing neither, but from what I've heard biology is meant to be a very large course with huge amounts of learning. If you like learning then I presume it'd be ok, but just beware. If you want a science, why not physics? It has the lightest workload of the three sciences; and out of the three it'd be the most suited to game development.

I do Biology and there is a lot of learning involved. Did you do JC science? & more importantly did you like it? If you're good at learning off large amounts of info, and regurgitating it, then I'd say you'll be fine... That or you'll really have to like sciencey subjects!

I wouldn't try physics if you're not a mathsy type, my friend does it and just seems to be constantly learning formulae & definitions.. I don't do it so I don't know what its actually like!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

I did biology but no business subjects. Although the biology course is extremly long(I believe we finished it in late April early May) its really interesting in parts. Of my friends that did economics they didn't find it very interesting.

Eventually it boils down to the fact that your not pursuing a Science degree so possibly Economics may benefit you in the long term.

Also DON'T do physics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

I don't do biology but all my friend say how hard it is and that there's too much to learn, I do economics and there's not that much to learn! I'd say you'll be alright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

I do economics and love it! Very nice course, but also quite boring at times as it is a beginners' guide as we don't study it for the JC.

If you do any work at all you should be getting an honour.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭catrina101

im repeating and done both last year!! HATED biology.. didnt mind economics!! DEFO stick with economics!! biology is a PAIN IN THE A*SE

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

From personal experience of doing economics and physics in my lc last year,you should defo keep on economics.Only do a science subject if you like it,good at it or if you want to go down the science root.Economics on the otherhand is good for knowing general business and more importantly is simple in the lc..The economics exam layout is decades old and has 8 long questions of which you do 4..Even though the course is long or relatively short compared to bio,you really only have to learn specific parts of the course or in my case macro economics and micro economic definitions and you will fly through the exam.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,257 ✭✭✭JSK 252

Im doing both subjects for the lc, economics as an extra subject and biology in school. My advice would be to keep up the economics, as taking up the biology course at this stage ( Im presuming you are in 6th year ) would be too tough a task to handle and you have enough to be thinking about than taking up a completely new subject.

I fecking love the economics course. Its so easy and predictable! I did the course last year in Bruce College and Im just revising it myself this year and Im doing their house exams ( october exam is what I just did last week, he had to give it to me 2 weeks later because his own crowd hadnt it sat yet! ) which the teacher kindly gave me a copy of to do at home, for him to correct it for me. I have it paced out, what I have to do in economics from now to June.

The biology course no doubt is a nice exam in general but you must give your self time to cover the course and I believe it is more comfortable to cover it over 2 years rather than 1 year if you are aiming for an A grade, which in my case I am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Ted Bundy

Hey im a repeat l.c this year and im doin economics,biology and physics.
    only picked up economics dis year.seems grand, id say a B is a minimum result but with a decent amount of study an A is possible.
    With biology you could get a c maybe a b but an A would be hard ta get with just a couple of months study.
    physics is not as bad as people think, alot of definitions but the maths side isnt that hard. You could leave out mechanics and do it then, cos thats a big chunk off your plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭english4490

Fol20 wrote: »
    From personal experience of doing economics and physics in my lc last year,you should defo keep on economics.Only do a science subject if you like it,good at it or if you want to go down the science root.Economics on the otherhand is good for knowing general business and more importantly is simple in the lc..The economics exam layout is decades old and has 8 long questions of which you do 4..Even though the course is long or relatively short compared to bio,you really only have to learn specific parts of the course or in my case macro economics and micro economic definitions and you will fly through the exam.
    +1;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭fearandloathing

i did both for the lc a few years back and economics is so much easier, i went on to do a fair bit of economics in college and looking back lc econ is very basic, it just boils down to learning off a lot of definitions and graphs and having a very basic understanding of them. biology is very broad and hard to get to grips with although it is quite interesting. if your after points id definately advise you to stick with the economics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 443 ✭✭Mr Maroon

I do Biology and Economics and I much prefer Economics. I find it a lot easier and much more interesting.
    There's a huge course for Biology. I'd 100% reccomend Economics!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,571 ✭✭✭Aoifey!

I'm doing both, I find Biology easier, I think there's too much to learn in Economics for me. If you're planning on doing Law I'd say you should probably stick with economics, but if you want to switch, biology is pretty easy to pick up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭daithiolabhrai

i'm doing both as well. i think they're both pretty easy to be honest, so it depends on where you feel your strengths lie.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

+1

Advertisement