Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I.T job

• 16-11-2008 12:32am
    Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys, Just wondering if anyone could advise me on somewhere to get work experience after Christmas. Will have done my A+ and N+ exams by then and I need to find somewhere around Kilkenny or Waterford.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

AOL on the Cork road if it's something to do you for a while.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Moved from county forum - will get a better scope here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭stick-dan

Doubt it sully, we all know the trouble we having sourcing wk expeience ourselves:P

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

stick-dan wrote: »
    Doubt it sully, we all know the trouble we having sourcing wk expeience ourselves:P

True.. But a lot better chance of getting a reply here then in the County forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Ya AOL seems to be the obvious choice but you prob are aware of the stories. I'd say sunlife might be worth ago on the IDA. my OH used to work in there and seems to be a bit of a revolving door for recruitment

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

ziedth wrote: »
    Ya AOL seems to be the obvious choice but you prob are aware of the stories. I'd say sunlife might be worth ago on the IDA. my OH used to work in there and seems to be a bit of a revolving door for recruitment

Ye I think every one on the course has worked in AOL. lol Haven't heard too many good things about Sun Life either. Was hoping to get some field service work but I suppose I'll just have to take whats going.

Hmm maybe another year in college if I can't find somewhere that I'd want to push for a full time contract.

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

As far as I know in recent weeks a large IT Provider in the south east just let go half it's work force.

Junior wrote: »
    As far as I know in recent weeks a large IT Provider in the south east just let go half it's work force.

Who? PC World? I think most of the smaller firms are doing okay as IT is something that is gaining in popularity and there is always going to be demand for IT guys.

The problem at the moment is more companies are keeping their existing staff due to times being pretty tough and the workforce is now seeking more engineers and software developers over your day to day IT guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

Sully wrote: »
    Who? PC World? I think most of the smaller firms are doing okay as IT is something that is gaining in popularity and there is always going to be demand for IT guys.

The problem at the moment is more companies are keeping their existing staff due to times being pretty tough and the workforce is now seeking more engineers and software developers over your day to day IT guy.

You reckon ? The market says otherwise. New sales are down, most are looking to cut back cost on maint. contracts and a lot are looking to keep existing hardware going regardless of age.

The 16 people let go were from IT Resources I've been told. Oh and Digiweb let go 5 Engineers a couple of weeks back as well.

Junior wrote: »
    You reckon ? The market says otherwise. New sales are down, most are looking to cut back cost on maint. contracts and a lot are looking to keep existing hardware going regardless of age.

Sales are down as retail spending is down due to times being tough. I didn't think IT would be as hard hit (but still hit) as a lot of small business and residents I dealt with struggle with a PC causing problem and need the support. You would be surprised what people charge these days for very sloppy work and offer no guarantee. (Not stating this is why this type of work is slower then usual, as there are other factors)

So, some businesses and people are working on looking for recommendations from others and wont call you out as often unless necessary.
    The 16 people let go were from IT Resources I've been told. Oh and Digiweb let go 5 Engineers a couple of weeks back as well.

Interesting - looking over the list of jobs available to students looking for paid work experience they are mostly engineers and software developers. No IT type guy though.

All businesses are cutting back now and trying to reduce costs as things are pretty tough.

• Advertisement

I'm looking for free work experience and it's still tough. If I had a chance to work in the council would it be benificial or would I be better off actually getting more experience as field service or desktop support?

I'm looking for free work experience and it's still tough. If I had a chance to work in the council would it be benificial or would I be better off actually getting more experience as field service or desktop support?

Have you asked any of the IT companies? Most companies wont look for staff if they are trying to cut back on costs and would have to pay them.

As for council, what are they offering?

Just general upkeep. I know a lad who done it and he didn't really do anything at all. Would rather get some good experience when I have to do it for free.

Just general upkeep. I know a lad who done it and he didn't really do anything at all. Would rather get some good experience when I have to do it for free.

Is this college work experience? I assume you can not only repair but upgrade and build PCs? Done anything in networks such as CCNA?

Sorry Sully I should have gave more information. yes it's college. By the time I'm doing work experience I will have A+ and N+ and hopefuly working my way towards MCSA.

Advertisement