Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-seeding with gorse

Options
  • 16-11-2008 12:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

I am entering REPS. I operate mainly in tillage. I have around 2 Ha which I do not till and it has a gorse problem. The gorse was cleared and the ground ploughed but of course it returns. I am considering putting the area under Linnet/Trees/Wildlife habitab. What is the best way of getting rid of the buggers?

I know gorse returns annually because of the seeds. Will I just have to bite the bullet and treat them on an annual basis?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,104 ✭✭✭Oldtree

This sounds like a good idea and can be easy to do.

Gorse can make a good addition to any wildlife habitat. If you are turning the land over totally to wildlife then perhaps you could just let it develop in its own way. I think it is a good idea to let the native flora reassert itself in any type of setaside. There is nothing simpler and cheaper and no real work involved. I have done this for 4 years and am keeping an close eye on things to see how it gets on. There has been a huge increase in the amount of insects, noticible by the huge amount of spiders that are kept well fed, but this in turn is highlighted by the increase in the number of birds who are also well fed. What I will end up with I do not know but nature will find its own balance. I was delighted to find a kestral's nest this year. (also clearly well fed!!!)

Gorse can also come back from a bit of root!

As for planting trees, willow is an easy one to do and is in itself an excellent plant to have as it is an early source on nectar and a mature willow can have up to 400 species of invertibrates relying on it. it is cheap as it can be grown from cuttings. Just get the cuttings, about the length and with of a pencil and push them half way into the ground.

A simple search on the web of : gorse habitat willow : yielded many pages of interest, see

For Butterflys:

http://www.butterflyireland.com/donegal_april-may2007.htm

For Birds, Spiders:

http://www.ipcc.ie/infoheathlands.html

Advertisement