Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M6 - Ballinasloe to Galway

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

Nath wrote: »
    I've been told that the roadworks for the tie-in at Doughiska is starting this week, there are electronic signs up which confirm it.
    It will be interesting to see how the roundabout copes in the mornings when the m6 is complete

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,082 ✭✭✭Chris_533976

Not well.

Why they couldnt put a trumpet there is beyond me. There is easily space for it. I know the bypass is to be the continuation of the N6 but still a trumpet there would have made much more sense.

It will jam up more, but conversely the Oranmore side wont be so bad as Dublin traffic wont have to go that way anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

Drove Galway - Dublin at the weekend, and there's still a lot of work to be done at the point where the current N6 crosses the new M6 alignment between Aughrim and Ballinasloe. The new bridge isn't complete, so the existing N6 is still crossing what will be the M6 path at grade.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

oddiot wrote: »
    Drove Galway - Dublin at the weekend, and there's still a lot of work to be done at the point where the current N6 crosses the new M6 alignment between Aughrim and Ballinasloe. The new bridge isn't complete, so the existing N6 is still crossing what will be the M6 path at grade.

They seem to be making progress on the bridge though. I passed Friday afternoon and they were laying the foundation into the western side of the bridge. It'll be interesting to see how this bridge progresses.

I don't know how accurate it is but it's my impression that a lot of the work on the rest of the scheme is done. From the pictures i've seen posted here it looks like final layers and tie-ins that need to be completed. How long will this take dunno, but has anyone considered actually emailing the company to see if the date on the newsletters is accurate?

I tried a few weeks ago, no response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Pavers working flat out on the eastern side of the Suck bridge, and as far as I could see on the bridge itself, tonight at 11pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭serfboard

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Pavers working flat out on the eastern side of the Suck bridge, and as far as I could see on the bridge itself, tonight at 11pm.

Thanks. I still think this will open this year. Hard to explain the big push at that end and at the Galway end otherwise.

I know you believe otherwise, but am I correct in thinking that you think that way mainly due to the overbridge around Aughrim, and is that the last major structure to be completed?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

serfboard wrote: »
    Thanks. I still think this will open this year. Hard to explain the big push at that end and at the Galway end otherwise.
    Rumour has it that work has been upped to try and get the whole thing done before Xmas.

I know you believe otherwise, but am I correct in thinking that you think that way mainly due to the overbridge around Aughrim, and is that the last major structure to be completed?

The overbridge at Aughrim is being built in the oddest way. It's hard to know how long it will take to complete. I'd like to know how the 3 railway bridges are comming along as well.
    There does seem to be a big push on alright but finished in 4 months is a huge ask. Having said that, I'm no engineer so I could be way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

I tried a few weeks ago, no response.
    There does seem to be a big push on alright but finished in 4 months is a huge ask.

The biggest issue with knowing the true state of what's going on is the lack of publicly available information. All we can do is guess based on what we have seen with the other projects. It's hard to tell but it looks to me as if it's mostly the top layer (maybe 2 in places) of the road that is to be applied (Doughiska to Lisheenkyle). And the target of 4th Jan 2010 has always been likely to mean a December '09 opening, so why not target it?

From the May 2009 newsletter works planned to be done between May and August/September "To progress with Irish Rail Bridges and aim for completion of same within the next three months" and "To progress with the completion and opening of new overbridges and underbridges to public use." It would seem that the bridge at Aughrim should be the only one left at this stage (though according to this it should already be done).

• Advertisement

antoobrien wrote: »
    The biggest issue with knowing the true state of what's going on is the lack of publicly available information. All we can do is guess based on what we have seen with the other projects. It's hard to tell but it looks to me as if it's mostly the top layer (maybe 2 in places) of the road that is to be applied (Doughiska to Lisheenkyle). And the target of 4th Jan 2010 has always been likely to mean a December '09 opening, so why not target it?

But the latest update from the NRA says......
    Contract awarded in April 2007. Target construction completion date - late 2010
    http://www.nra.ie/PublicPrivatePartnership/PPPRoadSchemes/

..but how accurate is that either when they reckon that the scheme is 51 KMs when it's actually 56.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 149 ✭✭biffoman

they always over estimate these projects so There are a load of back slapping to be done when its finished months before jo public thought it was supposed to.those TDS are just too crafty for us all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

Not well.

Why they couldnt put a trumpet there is beyond me. There is easily space for it. I know the bypass is to be the continuation of the N6 but still a trumpet there would have made much more sense.

It will jam up more, but conversely the Oranmore side wont be so bad as Dublin traffic wont have to go that way anymore.

Just drove through there a few minutes ago. I'm even more annoyed now that they're not doing a trumpet. Previously I didn't think they were acquiring any land to the West of the existing N6 DC and so for that reason I could sort of understand the thinking behind not having a trumpet (cost of extra land take for a trumpet). But, contrary to what I thought, they have acquired some land to the West of the existing N6 DC. The roundabout is going to be bigger than I thought. They could easily fit a compact trumpet in there.

Drove over the new N18 bridge a short while ago also and most of the old N18 is gone. There are some service pipes floating in mid-air (they were previously under the old road surface. More concrete barrier installed and paving work done near the N18 also.

Really good progress at Doughiska and the N18 since I was there last week.
    I miss working in Athlone and seeing the progress at Aughrim & near Ballinasloe everyday. :(

A bit more tidying and groundwork done around the site....

i.php?a=suck-bridge-august-2009&i=29082009181.jpg&s=1500

Nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 317 ✭✭ohnoigotsick

3906492895_89347d5031.jpg

Heading Eastbound on the N6 approaching M6 tie in

3907271434_4917afff6c.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

Realisticallly when is it opening?

Serious progress between J14 & J15 in the last week, it's quiet staggering really.

This was the scene yesterday (10th)......

I went back there again this evening (too dark for photo's) and both hard shoulders filled, central gap filled and pavers laying asphalt on bridge deck.

Drainage kerbing and 'footpaths' in place on both sides of the bridge as well. Well they look like footpaths but they actually house the ducting/services that cross from east to west.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

..but how accurate is that either when they reckon that the scheme is 51 KMs when it's actually 56.:rolleyes:
    The scheme length is 51 km Motorway and 5 km of dualler. The 51 may refer to the motorway part only. Of course that's still wrong anyway - they should be giving the total length :)

Tandem pavers.
    i.php?a=suck-bridge-september-2009&i=DSC00444.JPG&s=1000

i.php?a=suck-bridge-september-2009&i=DSC00446.JPG&s=1000

i.php?a=suck-bridge-september-2009&i=DSC00448.JPG&s=1000

i.php?a=suck-bridge-september-2009&i=DSC00451.JPG&s=1000

i.php?a=suck-bridge-september-2009&i=DSC00452.JPG&s=1000

Looking east towards J14
    i.php?a=suck-bridge-september-2009&i=DSC00445.JPG&s=1000

http://gallery.m6.kaizersoze.net/index.php?album=suck-bridge-september-2009

Still working in the dark at 10pm tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

That first shot in particular is fantastic.

Furet wrote: »
    That first shot in particular is fantastic.

Ta. Sometimes the sun works with you.:D

3906492895_89347d5031.jpg

Heading Eastbound on the N6 approaching M6 tie in

Median along here was almost completely gone at 8pm this evening and they were still working away when I passed. Lane 2 closed in both directions. There will probably be a big push on installing the roundabout over the weekend while there is a lot less commuter traffic (and great weather!).

A bit late now but it might have been a decent idea to have the roundabout slightly more to the East and have Lane 1 and the HS of the Westbound carriageway on the existing N6 bend around the roundabout to the West and not go through it. Would definitely make traffic a little more free flowing.

Forgot to mention that there was a covered sign at J19 for the Westbound on-ramp I think saying 'M6 Galway'. Strange because I didn't think the stretch West of J19 was redesignated as motorway (because of the future Galway Bypass).

I hope it has been redesignated after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 diggs

I think one reason why they are making a rush on the Galway side is to get open as far as Athenry...

It would solve alot of congestion along the N6/N18 and Carnmore roads...

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

Tandem pavers.

Still working in the dark at 10pm tonight.

Spectacular pictures Kaizersoze, the first one is the pick of the lot!!

I possibly may be heading to Dublin on Monday so will be interested in seeing how things are progressing around the overbridge at Urraghry on the West side of Ballinasloe where the N6/M6 intersect.

As a matter of interest, how is the J15 West Ballinasloe junction progressing, it must be nearing completion now also.

From looking at the progress at the Suck bridge, I wonder what is the likelihood of the East Ballinasloe to West Ballinasloe section opening in time for the horse fair on Oct 3rd.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Nath

diggs wrote: »
    I think one reason why they are making a rush on the Galway side is to get open as far as Athenry...

It would solve alot of congestion along the N6/N18 and Carnmore roads...

I would suggest that this is unlikely, there is no adequate road from Athenry to the existing N6 that could safely handle that volume of traffic.

Nath wrote: »
    From looking at the progress at the Suck bridge, I wonder what is the likelihood of the East Ballinasloe to West Ballinasloe section opening in time for the horse fair on Oct 3rd.

Won't happen. J15 is advancing well but there's still alot of work to do in between. I'll try get a few pics later if I can.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Won't happen. J15 is advancing well but there's still alot of work to do in between. I'll try get a few pics later if I can.

The guards will have access during the horse fair so if you see a Garda car heading onto the bypass just follow it :cool:

Still possible they will open in mid December and come back early next March for landscaping/verge tidyups with lanes coned off while they do. Decision this month on that topic I hear .

• Advertisement

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    The guards will have access during the horse fair so if you see a Garda car heading onto the bypass just follow it :cool:

Not a good idea unless you have something rugged. It's not all like the pics. The only Garda unit I can see heading down that way would be the mounties.:)

I don't see what the big deal with the fair is really. It's really only 2 long days now, Sunday & Monday. Not a big deal anymore.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement